Thread: Bearing Buddies

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post

Might try reading it ALL again..
    Just an observation but it seems to me that is why a lot of threads go South. Not picking on anyone but about half of the posts on this thread all did the same thing.

The OP is talking about the RUBBER cap that goes over the bearing buddy, .It will keep grease from slinging on the FRONT of the wheel, And it is held on by some vacuum..
    There is indeed a elastomeric cap that that some bearing buddies have that slips over the metal bearing buddy. I went away from them so long ago I forgot about them. I'm still skeptical about any vacuum existing behind it. I'd think the cap depends on friction.
    For the guy that duct tapes them on, that ought to work unless any lubricant gets on the tape.

The bottom line, whatever works.

2. Member
    New rubber caps are tight and when pushed over the bearing buddy...............push on the center of the cap, air is expelled from under the cap and once you relive the pressure a vacuum forms holding the cap tight in place. Over time the rubber cap will deteriorate and will no longer hold..................

Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude View Post
    New rubber caps are tight and when pushed over the bearing buddy...............push on the center of the cap, air is expelled from under the cap and once you relive the pressure a vacuum forms holding the cap tight in place. Over time the rubber cap will deteriorate and will no longer hold..................
    EXACTLEY
    Also could have an imperfection in the outer surface of the bearing buddy that wont allow the rubber cap to seal or the rubber could have a pin hole.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    EXACTLEY
    Also could have an imperfection in the outer surface of the bearing buddy that wont allow the rubber cap to seal or the rubber could have a pin hole.
    Thermodude is correct, the BRA as it is called needs to be burped in order for it to be reliably held onto the BBuddy, just like E-Tec spark plug boots.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richieb View Post
    Thermodude is correct, the BRA as it is called needs to be burped in order for it to be reliably held onto the BBuddy, just like E-Tec spark plug boots.
    Yes this is what I mean when I say wont hold vacuum, before I had trouble with it, you would push the middle in to burp it and the middle part of the bra would stay slightly concave. Now even with the new bra it wont stay concave and while it still burps it is easier to pull of then the other side. I will just replace the bearing buddies and check the bearings while I am in there.

6. Member
    You might try to twist the cap as you push it on the bearing hub is what i do

Lol. I resolved this already with post #3.
    Get new covers, degrease the BB where they seat, and problem solved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12