96 175 EFI Voltage regulators

0G425296

I had a bad ECU and replaced it, the boat ran good until the end of the 3rd trip. Now it will not go above 4000rmp's and will cut off at idle.
    I do have a burnt connector between the voltage regulator and stator (stator is new). Do I have bad voltage regulators? is there a way to test them?
    I did replace them several years ago for a different problem.

any help would be appreciated, I have been fighting with this motor for a while.
    96 Ranger 462VS Comanche / 175 EFI Mercury

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the ECU and the Cannon Plug Connectors for dirty pins, poor connection, or not properly locked/strapped in place.

If you have a browned/blackened/burnt connector for the regulators, there is a problem there. Normal protocol (recommended) is to replace any damaged connectors and BOTH regulators.

Note: Most regulator/connector problems are due to battery or battery connection problems.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Like Don said, make sure battery connections are tight and correct hardware.

Buy locking nuts with the nylon inserts, throw away the wing nuts. Clean battery post/threads and place your largest connection first, then smallestest last. Pre-thread locking nut on a bolt before using on battery connection so you dont stress the post too much. If your changing regulators, use a wire brush to clean the grounds, I used a dremel with a soft brush, cover with a liquid tape. Motor is old so cleaning all the grounds around your motor would be good.
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

It's fixed, I had a bad connection on the ECU plug.
    Thanks for the help.
    96 Ranger 462VS Comanche / 175 EFI Mercury