Thread: Pro XS question

Pro XS question

Serial number: 2b090405

I have always religiously changed lower unit lube 2-3 times per year. I picked up this habit with my original merc XR6 (1992) that used the small gear case that was anything but rugged. Had lots of issues with water intrusion due to seal failures caused by surfacing a prop...

Just changed the oil in my Pro XS 200 and saw about a teaspoon or so of slightly milky lube, the rest was the usual green/black color. My plan is to replace all the seals to head off any intrusion problems.

Can you give me part numbers for the following:

(1) the bearing carrier cover nut removal tool (I have the XR6 version but that was the 4 ¼" gear case, won't nearly fit the pro xs based on eyeballs.

(2) the seal install tool. I have always just used a correctly sized socket upside down but probably should do it the right way.

(3) the lower unit seal kit (plan on replacing drive shaft, shift shaft, prop shaft seals + the assorted o-rings.

(4) a water pump as I might as well do that since I have to remove it to get to the driveshaft seals anyway.

Thanks...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

You can contact Rhonda at European Marine for part numbers and pricing.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    I wouldn't be replacing seals with a teaspoon of milky colored lube, could just be condensation or maybe some seepage through drain plug gaskets. I'd refill with fresh lube, replace drain plugs gaskets and go.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

I would just do the shift shaft seals if they havent been done. No special tools needed,and fresh yellow or blue drain plug gaskets, after a pressure and vacuum test.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What did the drain plug seals look like?

A pressure test of the gearcase is the correct way to locate and address leaky seals. Rhonda will be happy to sell you a set of HP Gearcase tools and a seal kit... but that's a LOT of expense for what is very likely a very small problem.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I changed the fluid two weeks ago. Spent last week on Guntersville. Am going to drain 1oz this afternoon to see what comes out.
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

7. Member
    I had this to happen awhile back. The crazy part of mine was the water (a ounce or so) came out last. Ended up changing shift and drive shaft seal.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

8. Member
    I usually trim all the way down, let it sit overnight, then the water ought to be at the bottom right in front of the plug.. If you check right after running, it is usually emulsified all over rather than collecting at the bottom. In my case, saw zero water, just a very small amount of the usual "cream-colored stuff" signifying there is water present.
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200