2000 Ox66 225 issue

I have a new to me Ox66 225 it is a 2000. I replaced all the fuel filters and cleaned the o2 sensor and big bone. Took the boat out today ran great for a short run stopped and got overheat alarm. Let the motor cool down for 30 minutes then took off back to the ramp. Boat stood straight up in the air and would not plane out kept getting on and off the throttle and it finally jumped right back up ran 68Mph right back to the ramp got back let it idle then the alarm went off agian. Currently have pulled the lower unit to change a much needed impeller. What’s stumping me is the slow to no plane then just taking off.

2. Member
    I don't understand. Overheat is probably impeller or oiler.

The standing straight up is not usually related to the motor. You may need to adjust jack plate/prop/trim. If it is outputting properly then it won't just stand up unless you carry some serious weight in the back (like forgetting to put the plug in!)

I've got same motor, thing is a beast.

3. Member
    Man it was the strangest thing. Trimmed down all the way and it would just stand up started feathering the hit foot and it all of a sudden jumped up on pad and we went straight back to the ramp. I just purchased 3 new fuel pumps and a vst gasket I reused the old one and want to make certain there is no air leak.

4. Member
    I really hate to tell you what I think it is, but I had the exact same problem of running fine, but after a long run then idling, running hot. Mine did this exact think, and it was the exhaust tuner. They are a pain to change. You have to pull the power head, lower unit, and pull the mood section apart. Search my name, I've got a recent thread on it. I have no clue about it standing up trying to plane.

Ive got a 01 0x66 225 and with full live wells, will stand up and plow water for a little while on hole shot. Its like someone needs to go to front of boat then eventually it shoots up on plane and pulls my head back.