Deck lid not flush

New boat and front deck lid doesn’t sit flush. Do I need to reinstall perko latch and somehow tighten?

The latch may be able to be tightened or the pawl (arm) bent to increase contact. Drop by your dealership and let them take a look.

3. Member
    Thanks, I really didn't want to bother them with it but i guess I will.

If you can tighten the Pawl on the latch that is simple, though it may get more involved than that.

5. Member
    I have the same problem. Just got a new cougar last week. I've tried tightening it up with no luck

6. Banned
    Back off the nut closest to the lid a full turn then tighten the outside nut a full turn.
    Try that and go from there.
    When you are done retigten both recheck .
    If you are interested in keeping them tight secure them. I use "goop" as it works its way around the nut and keeps it from loosening, goop is also removable if needed.
    I haven't had any problems with anything loosening since.
    Good luck.

I had a lid that was distorted on a 16 caracal the corner was higher up on the outside edge, I was advised to try and bend it down some but never really got it to adjust. Not sure how you tweak them. Also spoke with a guy who gets a new boat every year, and he told me he sand bags all the deck lids as soon as he gets a new one. Can these lids warp and distort? What are they made of?
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

8. Member
    I'm very much interested in this thread. My boat has been in the shop for 2 months getting the engine worked on. Hopefully I can get it back soon because I want to add a pic of this issue with my center deck tackle storage lid. I think it could help with this subject. The front left corner of the lid is not even but I can't say it's ever bothered me much or affected my fishing. But I have noticed it and wondered how to fix it for aesthetic purposes if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    I had a lid that was distorted on a 16 caracal the corner was higher up on the outside edge, I was advised to try and bend it down some but never really got it to adjust. Not sure how you tweak them. Also spoke with a guy who gets a new boat every year, and he told me he sand bags all the deck lids as soon as he gets a new one. Can these lids warp and distort? What are they made of?
    No, the lids are aluminum. The latches should be able to adjust and have the lids flush. I had one that was not flush on two lids, adjusted the latches and all of them were flush.

10. Member
    if it is not flush on just one end, take a piece of wood land place it between the lid and the cap on the end that is low (opposite of the end that is too high). Put a bit of pressure (or weight) on the higher end, then remove weight and wood and test. Still not level? Repeat with more pressure / weight. You can twist the lid back to true this way without much trouble.. If it is bowed so that the middle is low and the ends are high, put the wood in the middle of the bow and apply pressure to both ends. Repeat with increasing pressure until it is true... Just don't jump on it with 200 pounds of body weight or you will twist in the opposite way.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

There are many ways to adjust a variety of lid situations.

12. Member
    D-wayne. That worked!! Thanks. Did notice my latch is bent tho. Going to have dealer get me a new one. Someone probably bent it on the showroom!! Grrrrr

13. Member
    Most common way to bend these latches is to unlock the latch, then forget and twist it back and drop it. That will bend the cam, or break it (or something else). Don't ask how I know. I replaced all of mine with SouthCo latches and so far, in spite of family dropping the lids, nothing has bent or broken at all. They are stout...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200