Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bow safety strap ideas??

I've got a marinemaster trailer under my new falcon. It's got the loop setup for a safety strap but I'm looking for ideas from y'all?
    '17 Falcon F205
    '17 Evinrude G2 250
    10' PP blades
    Garmin 7610XSV's

2. Member
    i use a transom strap i go under the trailer and around.

Rick Someillan
    Lacoochee, Florida
    2016 21 TRX
    250 Pro XS

3. Banned
    I'm curious as well.

Here is what I did on mine when I upgraded to the F2 winch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2015 Ranger Z119c / 2015 Merc 225 Pro X​S

Doesn't matter---- when that boat decides to leave that trailer, straps and that 1/4 inch cable wont stop it. Hell that winch post wont stop it---- It will run right over the top of it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RngrBill View Post
    Here is what I did on mine when I upgraded to the F2 winch.
    I like that! That's along the lines of what I was envisioning.
    '17 Falcon F205
    '17 Evinrude G2 250
    10' PP blades
    Garmin 7610XSV's

7. Member
    I use a boatbuckle bow tiedown

Quote Originally Posted by billwvu05 View Post
    I use a boatbuckle bow tiedown
    +2

9. Member
    Tried cable, no good, went to chain, but like Bassman Ia said, it's gonna be real hard to stop.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Doesn't matter---- when that boat decides to leave that trailer, straps and that 1/4 inch cable wont stop it. Hell that winch post wont stop it---- It will run right over the top of it.
    A guy in my club was recently rear ended while stopped at a light. The other driver estimated he was doing 35 when they hit (which means he was probably going 45 lol). Lower unit took the hit and totaled the motor. The trailer tongue buckled and pushed into the rear bumper, the winch post snapped at the welds and the boat was pushed forward pretty far. The rear straps were stretched out as far as they could but they held the boat on the trailer. The boat might have ended up in the cab if they didn't.

Sure, in a lot of scenarios the straps will snap like they weren't even there but in other scenarios they do exactly what they were designed to do. I think telling people that it "doesn't matter" is bad advice. Any effort to keep the boat on the trailer during an accident is worth making.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

11. Member
    I’ve always used a short length of chain.

12. Member

USA

I use a chain also But if the bow stop post breaks at the weld !!!! I have seen too many broken welds. Glad I drilled a hole and put an eye bolt in the frame, and ran a chain from that to the bow eye. Probably rip the bow eye out of the hull. Best not to get hit.

Take it anyway you like. This boat/trailer came off the back of that Black Ford truck in pic #1 @ 35 mph. Passed the truck on the right side, went across the driveway of a C Store and dropped 3 feet off the payment, nosing the trailer tongue into the dirt. As you see in pic #3 the drop off isn't that much. In pic #2 you can see what a small bass boat can do to a winch post after it SNAPS the bow strap, transom straps, and safety chain on the bow eye. This was my fishing partner's boat, I watched it pass the truck on my side.

When i called the wrecker service i told them to bring a rotator and plenty of web straps-- good thing, cause the tow operator had never picked a boat off the ground before. I rigged it for him and he sat it back on the trailer. We put it on a roll back and transported it 40 miles back to my partner's house.

In 2001 I had a guy run into my outboard as i was turning into a motel. Ruined the LU and the prop. The impact pushed the boat over the trailer's left fender, twisted the winch post. Transom Strap on the port side held, one on the starboard side snapped.

Last edited by Bassman Ia.; 10-20-2018 at 10:58 AM.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post
    A guy in my club was recently rear ended while stopped at a light. The other driver estimated he was doing 35 when they hit (which means he was probably going 45 lol). Lower unit took the hit and totaled the motor. The trailer tongue buckled and pushed into the rear bumper, the winch post snapped at the welds and the boat was pushed forward pretty far. The rear straps were stretched out as far as they could but they held the boat on the trailer. The boat might have ended up in the cab if they didn't.

Sure, in a lot of scenarios the straps will snap like they weren't even there but in other scenarios they do exactly what they were designed to do. I think telling people that it "doesn't matter" is bad advice. Any effort to keep the boat on the trailer during an accident is worth making.
    I completely agree. Safety equipment will fail in certain situations but it’s like telling people not to wear helmets on a motorcycle or seatbelts or anything else that isn’t 100%. It makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post

When I say " It doesn't matter" it means don't count on a few straps and a piece of chain to secure the boat onto the trailer. Doesn't mean don't use them jeeeezzzz

I have read it many times on different boating sites """ Oh, no worry here, I have straps and chains, boat can't POSSIBLY come off the trailer""

It takes pictures to prove it to some, otherwise they won't believe it

Picture RichZ put on another forum. Boat was strapped and chained, truck ran into something-- boat ran into truck

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    The safety cable has nothing to do with being rear ended. It is only a safety cable for premature winch release or failure when launching and pulling boat out of the water and up the ramp when your rear straps or boat buckles are released.

2015 Ranger Z119c / 2015 Merc 225 Pro X​S

Quote Originally Posted by RngrBill View Post
    The safety cable has nothing to do with being rear ended. It is only a safety cable for premature winch release or failure when launching and pulling boat out of the water and up the ramp when your rear straps or boat buckles are released.
    It's there to make one feel safe.

19. Member
    I have a Ranger, but got the strap you see on the Nitros. Nice heavy duty strap with a hook on it. Easy, right there, no chains clanking or dangling. Under $20 at any Nitro dealer

20. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I just changed my strap that I was using to a cable and drilled an eye bolt into the trailer ,bought the cable and ends and it cost me like under $10 for everything and 1/2 work looks good and feels better
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast