Fall turnover crappie kill

Went to a small local lake yesterday to see if the fall bite had begun there and upon my arrival there were dead crappies all over the place. A few were floating but most were on the bottom of the lake that I could see as I walked the bank a good bit. I’ve fished this lake for years and never seen anything like this as far as that many fish and only crappies. I googled it when I got home and saw that nearby Spring Lake also had a huge issue with this a few weeks ago. Has anyone else seen this going on to this extent with crappies this year? From what I read it’s most likely a combo of low oxygen levels and 2 strains of bacteria that crappies are especially susceptible to.

https://www.swnewsmedia.com/prior_la...cba116f6a.html

Fished Waconia mid-August and noticed an unusual number of dead crappies floating on the surface. With water temps falling into the 50s, turnover will be occurring on the deeper lakes that stratify. No idea if that's a factor in what you saw.

3. Member
    Crappies are particularly vulnerable to rapid changes in water temp. The quick drop in water temp like we've had is likely the culprit. Seems like we went from Summer to late Fall in a hurry.

4. Member
    That,,, really sucks. Why can't it be the Asian Carp this happens to instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Fished Waconia mid-August and noticed an unusual number of dead crappies floating on the surface. With water temps falling into the 50s, turnover will be occurring on the deeper lakes that stratify. No idea if that's a factor in what you saw.
    Saw this same thing as well....twice actually - once during August and again to a lesser extent on Labor Day weekend. Temps had started down then we had that stupid hot period where they shot back up. A lot of nice ones floating at that. May put a hurt on the ice fishing season out there where you can usually go out and catch 50 a day.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360