Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I buy an Ultex now or wait? Best price online?

Strongly considering an Ultrex iPilot for my 95 Champion. Ive seen some mixed reviews on the Ultrex. Should I buy now or wait for the next version? Where can I get the best price?

2. Member
    Historically there is a price increase with Johnson Outdoors at the first of the year. I'm not going to say you can't get it cheaper from an "internet dealer". If you get it from a MinnKota dealer, whether internet or not, they are bound by contract to sell at MAP pricing. What we (I) can do is reduce the freight and if out of state ordering waive collecting the sales tax. Let me know if I can help.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Any idea when the new motors with built in DI will be on the market?

4. Member
    Information we're getting is a 10/15/18 release date.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    So Ultrex will be releasing a unit with DI?? should I wait, I am going to get a new TM and had sights set on a Ultrex (have Lowrance units so don't need the link)

6. Member
    Just read on the web....MEGA is the hummingbird DI so won't work with my lowrance units...dang

7. Member
    My wife purchased mine online for xmas present and I had it professionally installed by a certified minn kota dealer here in town. Only issue I had was the breaker going off and needing reset. Dealer put a new breaker on and no more issues. So far its been awesome. From what I've read on here most peoples problems are when they(joe smoe buyer) install the unit themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    My wife purchased mine online for xmas present and I had it professionally installed by a certified minn kota dealer here in town. Only issue I had was the breaker going off and needing reset. Dealer put a new breaker on and no more issues. So far its been awesome. From what I've read on here most peoples problems are when they(joe smoe buyer) install the unit themselves.
    I figure a lot of owners will disagree with that.
    Even thou I'm a "joe some buyer" I've not had any problems yet.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    From what I've read on here most peoples problems are when they(joe smoe buyer) install the unit themselves.
    As this is one of the many ways I make my living (Installing trollingmotors) I tell people it's not rocket science. It's easy enough to do, can be time consuming and possibly intimidating, especially if you're concerned about screwing up a $2500.00 trolling motor. To those that are intimidated by it, they need/should seek professional help. To those that are not intimidated and have the ability to read directions, they should have no problems.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    As this is one of the many ways I make my living (Installing trollingmotors) I tell people it's not rocket science. It's easy enough to do, can be time consuming and possibly intimidating, especially if you're concerned about screwing up a $2500.00 trolling motor. To those that are intimidated by it, they need/should seek professional help. To those that are not intimidated and have the ability to read directions, they should have no problems.
    John
    I appreciate this answer.

I'm sure I can install mine myself (once I get it). However, I think I have decided to pay someone else to do it. This way if something goes wrong or its not working properly.... I'll take it back to them to fix it. I don't want to have to "tinker" with it. I'd rather it be a one and done.

11. Member
    If you're not going to be able to use the DI then I'd say just buy now. I bought mine from John and installed myself. It's no harder than installing any other TM, there's just the added step of mounting and powering the heading sensor. The #1 thing you have to remember whenever you install any TM is to use anti seize on the mounting bolts.

Nothing against anyone who wants to have someone else do it, just saying it's not really any different than any other TM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    If you're not going to be able to use the DI then I'd say just buy now. I bought mine from John and installed myself. It's no harder than installing any other TM, there's just the added step of mounting and powering the heading sensor. The #1 thing you have to remember whenever you install any TM is to use anti seize on the mounting bolts.

Nothing against anyone who wants to have someone else do it, just saying it's not really any different than any other TM.
    Seriously, use anti seize. I had to drill out the bolts from the motorguide that was on my boat when purchased. The Ultrex installed in approximately 2 hours, and it's the only TM I've ever installed.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berstuck View Post
    Seriously, use anti seize. I had to drill out the bolts from the motorguide that was on my boat when purchased. The Ultrex installed in approximately 2 hours, and it's the only TM I've ever installed.
    Heck, then I should be able to it no problem. Will save me $200.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by natchomamma View Post
    I appreciate this answer.

I'm sure I can install mine myself (once I get it). However, I think I have decided to pay someone else to do it. This way if something goes wrong or its not working properly.... I'll take it back to them to fix it. I don't want to have to "tinker" with it. I'd rather it be a one and done.
    Exactly

Mr. Jones installed mine because I was recovering from back surgery at the time, but I was also reluctant to tackle it because I thought you had a complex indexing procedure to go through. As it turns out, that is not the case if you mount the motor on the port side of the bow.
    Another reason, was that I wanted Mr Jones to change out the bow mount on my MAXXUM so I could use it as a spare without changing the entire bracket. With this mount, you only have to remove the 5/16-18 socket head cap screw to replace the motor assembly.
    I also installed a Dura-Safe lock in place of the mounting screw because my boat spends a lot of time in my boat stall and I have had a couple of items stolen.

Attached Images Attached Images

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

--

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by natchomamma View Post
    Heck, then I should be able to it no problem. Will save me $200.
    I don't have the Ultrex yet and I'm already running into issues. I should have known it probably wasn't going to just be remove and install job.

I have a 95 Champion 181 DC and it has 40 Amp breakers. The Ultrex recommends 60Amp. Problem 1. Now I'm concerned the wire I have in the boat because of the 40Amp breakers is not the correct AWG wire. The writing on the insulation is worn and I cannot tell what AWG the wire is. Its 7mm in dis including the insulation. Does anyone know what AWG wire comes standard in my boat?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by natchomamma; 10-13-2018 at 09:53 AM.

18. Member
    The 6ga I stock is around 8MM with the insulation, the 8ga is apx 5mm with the insulation. It's going to depend on how thick your insulation is. On a 95 I would assume 6ga.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

Hey natcho... send that question over to the Champion forum... i bet somebody there would know

20. Joe4d
    If you dont need the new mega down image, Id wait till it is out,, people will be trading for or buying the latest greatest and you may a deal on the older model.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast