Can someone explain what I need to know before purchasing electronics?

Last bass boat (1986 Winner) I had, had black and white fish finder up front with transducer mounted to the trolling motor. Also a Lowrance 'flasher' depth finder at the dash. I can't even find a 'flasher' type depth finder to mount in my new-to-me boat. So with that, can someone help me decide what I need? I want something that will read depth at speed and something up front while using trolling motor. I'm not against spending the money on pieces that are excellent and serve a valuable purpose. But, I'm getting frustrated with all the options and not knowing what I'm doing. Sidescan, sonar, 43/800 mkhz transducer, etc LOL.

2. Member
    Best thing I can say is go over to the Lowrance, Humminbird, and Garmin board and start reading. There is no this does everything fish finder. It will depend on what kind of fishing you do, and what you can aford.

3. Member
    Don’t forget about Raymarine either, nice units. I have Humminbird Helix units bow and console with a Lowrance DI unit at the console too.

4. Member
    To be honest, it would really depend on what you want. If you want side, and down imaging, along with sonar, you will need 2 transducers on lowrance units. A 83/200 for sonar (think 2d old school sonar) and another structure scan ducer for side and down imaging. Like an lss1, or lss2, total scan, or 3d scan box/ducer. Any of these will work with gen3+ lowrance units. But if you are just starting out and looking for a budget friendly upgrade, i would suggest two 2nd gen lowrance hds units. Along with an lss2 dicer/module. (I have a gen3 hds 9 with lss2 on my console and gen1 hds 8 on bow). They link to each other via network cable so i can see everything on the front as it is on the newer unit from console. Now of course you can go with any brand and setup you choose. But i only can help with lowrance. Ive never used any others. Maybe someone else will chime in. The best place if looking to upgrade on a budget is the for sale section here. Always a good deal to be had. And very good sellers.

So to recap, you need 2 units, 2d transducer for 1 (or both if you want em seperate), structure scan ducer/module, and a way to connect the units for network. (Nmea or cat5) Given, this refers to a lowrance set up.
    Last edited by jdwo2212; 10-08-2018 at 04:07 PM.

5. Member
    Thank you. jdwo2212, I appreciate the explanation. Is there a need for a "high speed" flasher anymore? Maybe these new electronics are fast enough to keep you out of trouble?

6. Member
    Shane, nothing taking readings off the back of the transom is “fast” enough to keep you out of trouble at wide open throttle. By the tim you recognize you are in 1’ of water you’re doomed. I don’t care if you have a 30 MPH boat or a 70 MPH vote. What you need is an up to date map card and a unit that can set colored depth ranges.

7. Member
    Funny, i still have a working flasher on my 03 tr21. Bit i dont use it. But like buccaneer said, nothing really that reliable for danger zones except good mapping and a unit capable of good mapping. So mpst of the newer models (gen2+ in lowrance) will have good mapping. And most will take either lakemaster or navionics chips. That will most likely define your fishing areas. Unless you like me and fish the mississippi river... They dont map it in my pools. Changes too often. Which is why i use navionics. Make my own maps. But thats a bit more advanced for now.

8. Member
    Money is what is the biggest factor here. Electronics can be super expensive if you want to get all the bells and whistles. Looking for something used on here and other fishing forums is a good way to save money.

I have Lowrance units on my boat. They came with it and I am happy with them. One downfall is there is no integration with my Lowrance units and my MinnKota trolling motor. I would have to buy a Humminbird unit to take advantage of those features like iPilot etc. If you are looking at integrating with MinnKota then stick with Humminbirds. Also the newer Lakemaster chips don't work in Lowrance units you would have to go with Navionics or C MAP or you can use what comes with the units and also leverage the new auto charting where you make your own maps.

If you are going to buy used Lowrance units I would stick with HDS units and Gen 3 models at the very least. They network together with ethernet, can share mapping cards and also share transducers. I would buy a TotalScan transducer for the transom as that covers everything that you would need. It can do broadband, Chirp, Down Imaging and Structure Scanning in a single transducer.
    2015 Ranger 1880 VS Angler
    2015 MERCURY 150HP
    (Model #:1150F23HD Serial #:2B135781)

9. Member

A lot of the new units have a "flasher" screen option, but I can't imagine why anyone would use it these days. If you've never used a modern unit with side imaging and down imaging, plus regular 2D, you're in for a big surprise. You can go crazy with bigger, touch screen, units...depends on what you want to spend. If your new boat is fiberglass, regardless of what you buy, you'll want a thru the hull transducer in the bilge area for 2d and for giving you depth when running fast. IMO, one of the best and most cost effective units at this time is the Hummingbird Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI/DI. The detail you can see is unreal. It comes with a great transducer for the SI/DI , but you would need an additional puck type transducer epoxied into the bilge to shoot thru the hull for depth readings when on plane. Then there is a Y cable to connect the two different transducers to a single line going to the console, which is where I would put the Helix 10. This unit will take map cards and you will know where you are at all times with the built in GPS. On the bow, I'd go with at least a Helix 7 DI with the trolling motor transducer. There are other good units out there too, but these are the ones I am familiar with.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

11. Member
    Whats your budget?
    $2k?
    $5k?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post
    Whats your budget?
    $2k?
    $5k?
    This made me laugh! I was thinking $3-400, Lol. I have learned a bit on the new stuff and realize now that number is too low. I used the Navionics boating app today on my iPad and it worked ok.

13. Member
    I have had them all since SI came out. They have helped me and shown me things I would more than likely never have found unless I could fish 300 days a year. With that said, do not forget to fish if you buy high end. A few years ago I went a whole year where the only thing I used was my GPS to see how it impacted my fishing. I still caught fish! If you go high end just be careful you do not spend endless days idling and forget to fish. You see a lot of boats these days for sale with hundreds of hours of idle time. If I were you I would purchase a Lowrance GEN1 or 2 for DI and the other things you mention.

14. Member
    I recently was in the same boat as you (no pun intended) and I had a self-imposed limit of $750 to spend. I knew I wasn't going to get the biggest or newest, but going to the stores and trying out a 5" screen, I realized I kept gravitating back to 7" screens as the minimum I wanted. I wanted at least one unit at my console that had mapping ability, and preferred if it came preloaded with some maps. DI & SI if I could find it.

Here's what I went with:

Garmin Striker 7SV Chirp (Factory Refurbished) for $319
    Garmin echoMAP 73SV (Factory Refurbished) for $419

15. Member
    The replies have been a great help. Thank you

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shane772 View Post
    This made me laugh! I was thinking $3-400, Lol. I have learned a bit on the new stuff and realize now that number is too low. I used the Navionics boating app today on my iPad and it worked ok.
    I believe the Lowrance Hook2 5" units are at this price point. I'd buy them if that was my budget

What trolling motor you have because some units can link with a trolling motor. Hummingbird links with min kota

18. Member
    Finally got my electronics figured out! Decided 9" screen was the minimum usable size for me. Got an HDS 9 with Totalscan transom mount and 2D puck (in hull) at the console and an Elite ti 9 with hdi on the trolling motor. Ended up costing about 1200 all in.

19. Member
    Awesome!! You will love that setup. Congrats.