G3 Sportsman 1810 vs. Ranger rt188

Which one, and why?

Thanks

2. Member
    I picked Ranger over G3 because I wanted something a little more upscale. Both are fine hulls and will likely serve you well.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by countrytider View Post
    Which one, and why?

Thanks
    I looked at the G3 on their website and the color choices are really limited and what's up with the rod storage? Is the only rod box on the port side? Looks very small. Otherwise it looks like a comparable boat but the rod storage looks really odd.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

If I read it correctly, the G3 comes standard with tilt steering. This may be an important consideration if you are over 6 ft.
    The trailer looks light to me. My first Ranger trailer had this same type construction and I bent the frame in a small incident that should have yielded nothing more than a scratch. Ranger redesigned the trailers and added a full length step between the fender and the back of the frame. This added a lot of strength to the frame.
    Ranger also had problems with the bow roller mount. They redesigned this too so I judge the current Ranger trailer to be better than what I see on the G3.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

If you have not looked at the Vexus, just go look at one before you spend your money. Just go compare them. You really should do this.

If I was buying new, it would be a Vexus aluminum boat in the size and length you are looking at. I already own a good boat and motor combination, and I cannot see enough differences to rationalize the money it would cost me......but buying new is a completely different situation. Buying new, there are enough differences to select the Vexus.

If you are set on one of the two you mentioned above, I would buy the Ranger. I like the storage better and until the Vexus came along I think they made the best aluminum available....and the best looking. I think the resale or trade value would be better too.

But before spending the money, just go look at the Vexus and compare.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

6. Member
    If you're looking at other brands, you should take a look at the Lund Renegade too. I would prefer the storage layout of the Lund, but everyone's different.

7. Member
    X2 on checking out the Lund and Vexus offerings. Lund or G3 would be my choice, they designed there boats with sufficient transom strength for jackplates and shallow water anchors. Vexus, while being run by quality folks, is still too new and unproven. I would wait a few more years for them.

8. Banned
    If wanting to stay under $30,000, and if you have a Polar Kraft dealer in your area, go look at a TX 195 Pro. You can probably buy it at about the same price as a Ranger 188, maybe a "tad" more (if you shop), and it's much more boat for the money. Storage layout on this boat is AWESOME!
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 10-08-2018 at 11:06 AM.

9. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar

10. Member
    I have a 2015 G3 and a 2018 Ranger RT - the Ranger has better finish-out, but I don't think THAT much greater. I would go with which layout you like better.

11. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Between the two, Ranger hands down. Much better quality, better storage and lots better resale.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

12. Member
    Yamaha bought the G3 line to compete with Tracker. Quality about the same. Ranger construction and quality is much better. Also, the trailer is superior, especially the aluminum.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Also, the trailer is superior, especially the aluminum.
    My 2015 G3 trailer is aluminum - not sure it inferior to my 2018 RangerTrail - but maybe it is?

14. Member
    In my search for a aluminum boat G3 was one of the 4 brands I was looking at got eliminated early because I could not find a dealer anywhere close that had a boat to look at, none at the boat show and hard to get information in general on some models, I did like what I seen online but you really need to set in the driver seat, trolling motor seat and actually look the boat over. In regards to my Ranger trailer, armor coating, tires, vortex hubs and channel frame very nice and tows great. The side marker lights and trailer jack could be better but easy to replace.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    If I read it correctly, the G3 comes standard with tilt steering. This may be an important consideration if you are over 6 ft.
    The trailer looks light to me. My first Ranger trailer had this same type construction and I bent the frame in a small incident that should have yielded nothing more than a scratch. Ranger redesigned the trailers and added a full length step between the fender and the back of the frame. This added a lot of strength to the frame.
    Ranger also had problems with the bow roller mount. They redesigned this too so I judge the current Ranger trailer to be better than what I see on the G3.
    I am 6' 7" and have no trouble getting under the console on my RT188.

Sure the bigger boats have more room making it easier but the Ranger has more legroom than the Trackers did.

I only looked at G3's for a short time before marking them off the list of possible choices.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer View Post
    I have a 2015 G3 and a 2018 Ranger RT - the Ranger has better finish-out, but I don't think THAT much greater. I would go with which layout you like better.
    G3 ain’t close to finish of ranger rt

17. Member
    I have had my G3 Sportsman for a year now and have really enjoyed it without any problems. The dealer I bought it from also carries Ranger so I was able to do some comparisons. The 17 ft. Sportsman was going to be used as a river and backwater boat so the option of being able to get it with marine grade vinyl instead of carpet was one of the pluses. I did not want to spend the extra dollars for a Ranger RT for the intent and purpose of this boat. The 90 hp Yamaha pushes this boat very nicely. The only drawback is I wish the back 2 storage compartments that are on each side of the livewell would have been a little bit larger. If the back compartments were 4-6 inches larger it would give the person fishing in the back more storage options. There is ample storage space up front as well as under seat storage.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

18. Member
    Ranger offers an interior for those that don’t want carpet, it’s called “Rawhide”. I have it in my RT and love not needing to clean up carpet. It’s a tough spray in option. They also offer an aluminum trailer.

All that hat being said there are hulls that fit every need. You just gotta look around. You can spend glass hull money on a custom aluminum boat like Gator Trax.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainslinger1959 View Post
    G3 ain’t close to finish of ranger rt
    Oh - you must have both boats as well.

BTW to the OP, as nice as the Ranger finish-out is, those welds they've been throwing out are much more dangerous for cutting yourself than the G3 welds.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Yamaha bought the G3 line to compete with Tracker. Quality about the same. Ranger construction and quality is much better. Also, the trailer is superior, especially the aluminum.
    The Tracker is no where near the boat the G3 is. As a previous owner of two G3's, I can tell you that they are top quality build, Ranger is not better, and the previous G3 Eagle models were pad hull boats. The newer Sportsman is not a pad hull but neither is the Ranger unless you buy the RT198P. I had a 2001 Eagle 175 for 6 years and a 2009 Eagle 170 for 6 yrs and had 0 issues with both, I mean absolutely nothing to fix ever with those boats. Wish I could say the same for my former Skeeter SX190.

BTW, I also owned a Tracker PT190 and would never buy another Tracker. The best feature that boat had was the 90 Optimax.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO