Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Looking to buy my first real bass boat

Hello everyone. I had posted in the Ranger section and was advised tin boat section might be better served. I am looking to buy a Ranger RT178 ( local dealer and I fit behind the wheel ) I have many questions so I will go a little at a time. My first and main question is motor. I am beginning to realize it seems its like trucks ( personal preference ) . I have always wanted an E-Tech 75 ( I like 2 strokes) so is there a better choice for this boat or am I wrong headed ?

Trolling motor upgrade is a must. I know nothing about chargers for 24 volt trolling motors and need help with that. I think a 70lb 24v motor would be sufficient ? I have had a MotorGuide forever with no problems at all on my 14' Lowe flat bottom boat and am going with what I know.

Thank you for all your input and help.
    Last edited by dan2116; 03-20-2019 at 03:54 PM.

2. Member
    If you have a good Rude mechanic then I’d think no problem going with the ETEC. I personally like knowing I can get my motor serviced locally, and really like a 4 stroke on aluminum. I can change my oil for about 65.00 a year, that’s buying from the dealer.

70 pound thrust will do fine on that hull. If I had it to do over again I’d have bought an Ultrex.

It it all comes down to what YOU want! If you can run some wires you’ll find buying trolling motor and electronics better priced from board sponsors than ordering from Ranger.

PS, Ranger puts a Dual Pro three bank 6 amp charger as an option. Of all the Dual Pros ive owned I’ve only had one go bad, and they replaced it under warranty. Ive owned two NOCO’s in Basscats and they were great. They seem to draw less current at hotels etc...this comes into play if you have three boats hooking up to one pole. Either way I’d want a three bank charger that will charge AGM batteries.
    Last edited by n2ratfishin; 10-07-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    If you buy new get the optional 3 bank charger, mine has been flawless for 5 years. 70 lbs. of thrust is plenty, I swapped over an older 71 lb. thrust Motorguide from another boat to my RT188 and it did well for almost 5 more seasons. I finally replaced it with a MinnKota Fortrex. The stabilizer bar on the Fortrex is a nice upgrade that wasn't available on my Motorguide. I have no specific preference on the outboard brand but if you fish a lot, and I do, then I'd go with the 4-stroke. The 2-stroke oil adds up over time, I'm sure I've bought 10 gallons of oil so far this season at $38/gallon. It adds up. Good luck with your search!
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

4. Banned
    Pick a four stroke. Wouldn't doubt it if California would ban two strokes someday soon. I'm surprised they haven't been pushing electric outboards.

5. Member
    The E-Tec will be lighter than a 4 stroke, better power to weight ratio, having a good servicing dealer would be key for me. Whatever trolling motor you get, make sure you get variable speed, it will give you longer battery life and will enable you to dial in the exact speed you need for the conditions.

6. Member
    I have the same size boat, a Crestliner vt17. I also have a 75hp 4s Mercury. My boat has a 74# thrust MinnKota Maxxum. If I had it to do over it would have a 80# Ultrex, and still may have one some day. Keep in mind I fish a river with lots of current at times so that enters into the equation some, but you can always turn a troller down but can only turn it up so much.

The 178 is a good selection and owners are happy with it....nice choice.
    I would buy an ETec ONLY if it had the 10 year warranty...other than that, I would go four stroke. It will benefit you later if you sell or trade.
    I would swap or buy or trade or exchange or whatever to put an Ultrex on the boat. I cannot stress this enough. In my opinion if you don't, you will be making a big mistake.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

8. Member
    If you truly like 2 strokes go for it but most folks would greatly prefer the 4 stroke. 70 pound thrust should be enough. Almost any charger will work unless you are discharging them deeply and need a quick turnaround. I would think it would take a lot to discharge two good batteries on most days with that boat.

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I think my boat is probably close to what you’re looking at...just older. I’ve been a Mercury guy since I was a child and this is my first Etec. Yeah it’s an 06 but when I got the boat in June it had 122 hours on it so it’s not exactly worn out! I really like this motor! It’s quiet, doesn’t have that 2 stroke smell I remember out of my old XR6 or my 150 Opti but then again it sips oil and gas.

The boat jumps on plane very quickly and runs great, I don’t anticipate this motor giving me any troubles. Under the cowl and on top it looks great and runs just as good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

10. Member
    Thank you all ! In the back of my mind the four stroke would be a better choice being in the left coast for sure. I have read good reviews on the Yamaha 70 but wonder if the extra 5 hp but heavier weight of a Merc would push the boat faster. I know speed isn't everything but I have this need to get as much speed as I can out of it. Is 40mph a reality with this boat ( not loaded down heavy single person ) with a Yamaha 70 or Merc 75 four stroke.

As for trolling motors The Ultrex is the Cadillac for sure.

11. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by njpaulc View Post
    The E-Tec will be lighter than a 4 stroke, better power to weight ratio, having a good servicing dealer would be key for me. Whatever trolling motor you get, make sure you get variable speed, it will give you longer battery life and will enable you to dial in the exact speed you need for the conditions.
    X2 on the Rude, Love my G2!!!
    If you go on to Evinrude's website you can do a dealer search and see what their tech rating is i.e. silver, gold, platinum which is based on training, experience and quality of Evinrude support.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

12. Member
    I just bought a 2014 RT178 from dealer a little south of you, only had it out once but so far I really like it. On the trolling motor mine is a 75lb Motorguide and I didn't take it of the first power setting all day and it moved us around pretty fast so anything in that size should work for you. I will be upgrading to an Ultrexx as soon as possible though. I can't speak to the Evinrude other than when i was looking at boats there didn't seem to be a lot of used ones with them and no one local to me sells or works on them. Mine has the 60HP Mercury and it is fine for my lakes which all have a 35mph limit.

I have the Crestliner VT17 so similar hull as the 178. I have the Mercury 60 Fourstroke and I don’t regret going bigger but the Yamaha F70 is a nice little motor. I would strong recommend like everyone else going ahead with buying a Fourstroke. As far as the trolling motor I have the Maxxum 70lb 24v and it moves the boat around at 2.5mph at 100%. Personally it is all the trolling motor you would need. As all have mentioned the Ultrex would be super nice to have.
    Garmin Stiker 7sv and 7cv
    2017 Crestliner VT17 - Mercury 60 4S

14. Member
    Take that 75 Merc and send the ecu to Simons Motorsports and you will do way more that 40mph.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan2116 View Post
    Thank you all ! In the back of my mind the four stroke would be a better choice being in the left coast for sure. I have read good reviews on the Yamaha 70 but wonder if the extra 5 hp but heavier weight of a Merc would push the boat faster. I know speed isn't everything but I have this need to get as much speed as I can out of it. Is 40mph a reality with this boat ( not loaded down heavy single person ) with a Yamaha 70 or Merc 75 four stroke.

As for trolling motors The Ultrex is the Cadillac for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Pick a four stroke. Wouldn't doubt it if California would ban two strokes someday soon. I'm surprised they haven't been pushing electric outboards.
    If they ban my 3 star rated optimax or any of the etecs then your 4 stroke will be bamned right along side of it. All late model 2 strokes carry the same 3 star rating as the 4 strokes. Actually they are cleaner than the 4 stroke verado so in this case thats a non factor.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    If they ban my 3 star rated optimax or any of the etecs then your 4 stroke will be bamned right along side of it. All late model 2 strokes carry the same 3 star rating as the 4 strokes. Actually they are cleaner than the 4 stroke verado so in this case thats a non factor.
    Yeah but since when does logic and reason factor into a politician’s decision making when it comes to making laws?

17. Member
    Make your motor decision on the dealer. As stated, get the Ultrex. Best accessory I've ever used.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

18. Member
    If you need to charge quick, get a charger with the biggest amp output you can afford.

19. Member
    Buy the outboard that is at the dealer that you prefer to deal with.

California could ban all 2 strokes specifically (if they do then what?) and not just all 3 Star rated outboards.

If they grandfather them then don't let that factor into your decision.

As others have mentioned get an Ultrex on it from day one and get to fishing!
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

20. Member
    I have the rt178 with the 75 mercury and upgraded the trolling motor to 24 V during the purchase and I am glad I did. The Mercury 4 stroke is very quiet and easy on gas, It is a heavy motor about the same weight as there 115hp and can be flashed for more horsepower if needed. My boat is loaded heavy with 4 batteries and lots of gear and with the mercury 17p spitfire 4 blade prop my max summertime speed is 38mph. I mostly just cruise around at 25-30mph easily.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast