Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDozer66 View Post
    Buy the outboard that is at the dealer that you prefer to deal with.

California could ban all 2 strokes specifically (if they do then what?) and not just all 3 Star rated outboards.

If they grandfather them then don't let that factor into your decision.

As others have mentioned get an Ultrex on it from day one and get to fishing!
    I think a few have this a little mixed up. The emmissions rating sticker on all late model outboards are rated via CARB (CALIFORNIA air resource board). Meaning that engines with these stickers and ratings meet emmissions criteria for the state of california or any other that observes their emmissions laws. The more stars the better so they are not going to be “banning 3 star motors”. If so there would be zero outboards on the water here lol. Will the NON EMMISSIONS 2 strokes meaning pre mix and early efi models likely see an end im sure they will but a full 2 stroke ban will not occur on emmissions rated engines. So thats why i stated if they ban my optimax then the equally rated 4 stroke will have to be too. My optimax emmissions stivker says “CALIFORNIA” right across it.

So that being said to the OP you arent too far from me. If you like the etec for whatever reason emmissions concerns should be the last thing on your mind that is a non issue. I definitely recommend the 24v trolling motor tho and maxxing out the hp.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by dan2116 View Post
    Thank you all ! In the back of my mind the four stroke would be a better choice being in the left coast for sure.
    Don't let these guys scare you. Evinrude is the cleanest burning engine on the market, period. That 4 stroke would need a catalytic converter to burn as clean as an Evinrude and it is even a bigger gap now with the G2's. If your buying from Cabelas only option is Mercury, if ordering from a dealer pick your poison they all seem to run fine these days. I'd pick up an motorguide I5 way cheaper than Minn kota but then again I have a damn Minn kota.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Don't let these guys scare you. Evinrude is the cleanest burning engine on the market, period. That 4 stroke would need a catalytic converter to burn as clean as an Evinrude and it is even a bigger gap now with the G2's. If your buying from Cabelas only option is Mercury, if ordering from a dealer pick your poison they all seem to run fine these days. I'd pick up an motorguide I5 way cheaper than Minn kota but then again I have a damn Minn kota.
    This is exactly correct, you can't buy a cleaner motor than an Etec, 4 stroke or not, they are the cleanest outboard available. I wouldn't hesitate on the Etec. I was a little apprehensive when I bought mine as I really wanted an SHO, and absolutely would not buy a Merc. I couldn't be happier with the Etec and I am so glad I bought it. The winterizing feature is a real help in my cold climate, and the motor just sips the oil, it really is almost a non issue it uses so little. The 3 years with zero maintenance whatsoever is also nice. It acts just like a four stroke but with the top end punch of a 2 stroke. I sound like a salesman but just being honest, this motor has been absolutely fantastic 👍
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

4. Member
    Is flashing the motor upgrading the ecu? Simon Performance does this on Merc's with quite a result in horsepower w/removing the what they called restrictor plate also. I was wondering would the extra horsepower affect the transom on the RT178 ( would need to be reinforced ) ?

5. Member
    Is flashing the motor upgrading the ecu? Simon Performance does this on Merc's with quite a result in horsepower w/removing the what they called restrictor plate also. I was wondering would the extra horsepower affect the transom on the RT178 ( would need to be reinforced ) ?
    I have never really looked at the transom of either boat but I would assume that it is built the same as the 18 foot version. If so it would have less stress on it than the 18ft boat. Don't take my word for it though. BTW flashing these motors is a great thing IMO but no way I would do it to a boat under warranty or to a boat that I would want to get 20 years out of.

6. Member
    Well...I have settled on a 75hp Merc 4 stroke for the RT178 . Now there are only three dozen other questions. Pretty much going with the Fortrex ( 70 or 80 ?? )but what type of charging set up is best . I assume 24v but would it be advised to have a 3 bank system in it or just a two. How do they actually work?

7. Member
    Get a bank for each battery in the boat. IE: two batteries, two bank charger - three batteries, three bank charger. One set of leads goes to each battery.
    Is fast charging a must? If so, get as high of an amp charger as you can afford. If not, get the minimum amp charger.
    Most all of the new onboard chargers are "smart". Meaning you plug it in, walk away, unplug when leave again. Except for one thing, if their wet cells, check the water level once a month.

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    A 3 bank charger has a lead that goes to the + and - of each battery. When you plug it in the charger chargers each battery independently until it reaches full charge. There are lights on the charger to tell you if it’s charging (red) or if it’s fully charged (green). I believe that boat comes with a 6 volt/bank charger so it may take 8-12 hours to charge your batteries after a long day but that charger can be left plugged in for weeks, months, whatever; it won’t overcharge.

Congrats on your choice! I’m sure you will love that combo!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Pretty much going with the Fortrex ( 70 or 80??)
    To my knowledge there is no 70# Fortrex. There is a 70# MAXXUM but the smallest Fortrex is 80#.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

10. Member
    What is a TM battery? What kind and or brand is best . Price is a bit of consideration. Oh...Thank you all for your help. I am trying to do this right the first time then improve as I go along.

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Trolling Motor Battery/Deep Cycle. As to “best” you will get many different answers, there is no consensus as price varies greatly! A lot of people, including myself, use WalMart’s Everstart Maxx deep cycle batteries in a size 29 or 31. They last as long as any other lead acid battery and since it’s Walmart the return/warranty process is easy.

When you look online it usually says they’re out of stock but they’re usually on the shelves. You want to get THE most current date battery you can get, the sticker on top shows what date it was made.

Since you’re buying new, I believe, your boat will come with whichever battery you purchase through who you buy the boat from.

Trust me, when I got my most recent boat in June the people here have answered literally every question I’ve had, BBC is a great place!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Member
    Get a trolling motor with variable speed, 0-100, not the model with just five set speeds. The variable speed models are more efficient and easier to set for the perfect speed. A Minn Kota Fortrex 80 would work great or a 80 ultrex if you got the $$$$$.

If you get an optimax keep a close eye on the starter and flywheel..oh yeah ,and the oil pump
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

14. Member
    I belong to a few different forums ( shooting related mostly ) but this community is "The" most helpful I have experienced. I will make sure the trolling motor is a variable speed . The Ultrex is a little out of reach but from what I understand not a big problem to upgrade too.
    Ranger RT …..are you not a Optimax fan by chance?? How am I to watch the parts you mention on a new motor?

15. Member
    Well...I have settled on a 75hp Merc 4 stroke for the RT178 . Now there are only three dozen other questions. Pretty much going with the Fortrex ( 70 or 80 ?? )but what type of charging set up is best . I assume 24v but would it be advised to have a 3 bank system in it or just a two. How do they actually work?
    Good all around choice. I tossed around the RT 178 and the RT 188. In the end I went with the RT 188. For your trolling motor option go with the #80 Fortrex, Maxxum, or Ultrex. The key here is staying with #80 thrust. Most all boats sold are under powered at the bow. I owned a Bass tracker 175 with a 75 optimax and upgraded my trolling motor to the Maxxum #80 and that motor was a beast on that boat. The RT178 and Tracker 175 are very close in size and weight.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

16. Member
    If you have a good Rude mechanic then I’d think no problem going with the ETEC. I personally like knowing I can get my motor serviced locally, and really like a 4 stroke on aluminum. I can change my oil for about 65.00 a year, that’s buying from the dealer.

70 pound thrust will do fine on that hull. If I had it to do over again I’d have bought an Ultrex.
    Heartily agree. Ultrex is the finest accessory I've ever bought. The 178 is only a couple hundred pounds lighter than the 188. Most of the time, the Rangers are rigged with a 3/6 or 3/15 charger. Mine has worked great. Next thing is Helix 7 G2N SI front and back.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

17. Member
    Now that the subject of finders came up , is the choice of make more like Ford/Chevy/Toyota/Dodge ? For cost , features , ease of use , view , which stands out. I have to split where the money goes on one of the finders ( Console and Bow ) .Where should I place the best sonar finder , bow or console first?
    Last edited by dan2116; 11-09-2018 at 12:39 PM.

18. Member
    Now that the subject of finders came up , is the choice of make more like Ford/Chevy/Toyota/Dodge ? For cost , features , ease of use , view , which stands out. I have to split where the money goes on one of the finders ( Console and Bow ) .Where should I place the best sonar finder , bow or console first?
    Yes, chevy vs ford. Some argue which has better mapping, SI, 2d, DI. Go to a store, put your hands on the ones your thinking about. Just like a phone, laptop, etc. You never know until you try it.
    Don't believe the images you see on display mode, tooooooo many variables to get those quality images. Look on this site, each of the respected subforums, and see what images have been posted.
    Garmin, humminbird, lowrance, the major players for freshwater.
    Get the biggest screen you can afford.
    As for where to place what, where do you spend most of your time?

19. Member
    Forgot- buy spare mounts and power cords. Then you can put both units side by side, or stack them.

20. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    You could always be cheap like me and use one...just swivel it around to see it from the front deck or when seated. I love my Echomap Plus 73SV!

And I swivel it around so I can see it from the bow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast