What's the difference in 2+4 and .........

What's the difference in 2+4 and omc fuel stabilizer stuff ? I ordered 3 bottles of 2+4 and they sent me 3 bottles of this omc fuel stabilizer .I've ran it a few time before and always thought it was the same thing as 2+4 , but putting them side by side I can see that they are two different colors . I know they're bottled in the same bottle and the label on the back is the same on both bottles , but I don't think it's the same contents. Can someone shed some light on this subject that has a little more knowledge on the subject than I have ? Thanks guys !
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team
    If you aint first , your last !!!
    All fat girls welcomed !!!!!

2. Joe4d
    Im guessing they are both equally worthless and a total ripoff.
    2+ 4 is 95% ethanol.. Just buy E10.. The newer ? cant find an MSDS, probably kerosene or lighter fluid. that at 1 oz per 80,, also basically does nothing.

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    Im guessing they are both equally worthless and a total ripoff.
    2+ 4 is 95% ethanol.. Just buy E10.. The newer ? cant find an MSDS, probably kerosene or lighter fluid. that at 1 oz per 80,, also basically does nothing.
    Sounds like a man of knowledge,,,

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

4. Joe4d
    Here is the MSDS,,, Dang what a ripoff, $22 for a pint of alcohol.. Still cant find MSDS on the other,, my google foo is weak tonight.

http://hazard.com/msds/f2/blp/blppq.html

Ok found it,, the new stuff is 95% unscented Kerosene, Again... more snakeoil.

Thanks guys
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team

Evinrude Fuel Stabilizer was reformulated years ago and does not contain alcohol. It is not the old 2+4 of yesteryear - just look at the 1989 date on the MSDS.

http://shop.evinrude.com/product/343...itioner_8_oz.#
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

7. Joe4d
    Yes reformulated from grossly over priced alcohol, to grossly over priced kerosene.

8. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Yes reformulated from grossly over priced alcohol, to grossly over priced kerosene.
    SMDH

9. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Dawg, If you don't believe in it, don't use it......some do some don't.....I use what I want and your or anyone else's opinion won't change it....

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    This reminds me of the Don Weed cocktail. Don is a well respected Mercury mechanic. He came up with a mix people called Don's cocktail. It consist of of two or three additives that were all added at the same time when adding fuel to your boat. People ranted and raved for a few years about how well their motor ran and how much less carbon soot was present. They boasted about how their fuel stayed fresh and did not break down and about how smooth their motor ran. Then someone posted the MSDS sheet for one of the ingredients and it contained alcohol. After that a person would have thought the sky was falling. The next thing you know the cocktail was horrible and was bad for your motor because it contained alcohol. Don even changed the formula even though countless people raved about how good it was before they found out it had a small % of alcohol.

I run some sort of fuel stabilizer in everything I have that might be stored for prolonged periods. In my chain saw, weed eater, leaf blower, lawn mower, garden tiller I typically use Seafoam, Marine Formula Stabil, Evinrude 2+4 or whatever I have available. I prefer Seafoam just for the fact Seafoam does what Stabil claims plus it cleans carbon. On my boat I only use Evinrude 2+4 and I add it every time I put gas in the tank. Twice a year I run a full tank with Evinrude Carbon Guard. Some might say I am putting snake oil in my tank and I might be wasting $ and I am fine with their opinion. As for me I believe in the products I use.

My neighbor had two high dollar chainsaw's that gave him fits in the fall when he went to start them for the season. I told him about Marine Formula Stabil. He was skeptical because of the word "Marine". He had heard of Stabil but never Marine Formula Stabil. The difference between the two is the marine formula has a stronger % of fuel system cleaning detergents otherwise the ingredients are the same. At the time of the year it was near the end of yard mowing season so I ask if he had any trouble starting his weed eater in the spring. His reply was yes I normally have to drain the fuel and put fresh in to get it to run. I suggest he let me treat his fuel so I got my bottle and put a small amount in his tank. We fire it up and ran it for a minute or two and shut it off. After that it was put to sleep for the season. Next sprig he told me his weed eater started on the second pull of the rope...he now use Marine Formula Stabil in all his seasonal equipment...had he know this earlier he would not have spent hundreds of $ getting both his chainsaw repaired.

My point is I could care less if it has 99% alcohol as long as the results are positive. If a person reads the MSDS sheet on even simple products they would fear for their lives. MSDS sheets are a good thing, however they can make something like common drinking water seems as if it's as corrosive as acid rain water.

It's like reading the MSDS ingredients for ordinary salt. It's composition consists of a poisonous gas (chlorine) and an explosive metallic element (sodium) that ignites when exposed to air, yet we use it daily on our food.
    -----

12. Joe4d
    Not like salt at all, it isnt a mixture. Its a compound. BIG difference.
    The MSDS on these additives tells what it is. Thats not an opinion, its a fact.
    The stuff is a mixture of #2 Diesel, and kerosene. FACT not opinion. Now if u like it and want to buy kerosene with some dye in it in a little bottle for $176 a gallon knock yourself out not my dollars. Same with the alcohol. If you believe it works, why not buy it at a drugstore for a dollar rather than a marine store for $22 ?
    Thats what we call some good marketing.

I mean pre E10,,, adding some alcohol to gas with small amounts of water would help. Thats what all the stabilizers were. Basically mixed with water made a flammable mixture. As long as both were very small amounts things were fine. But when E10 came the fuel already had alcohol,, adding more wouldnt help,, but companies were used to selling people alcohol and dye at huge markups,,, So they came up with something else.
    Kerosene ,, again FACT not opinion. Read the MSDS. There is no magic formula, thats all it is.
    Now I highly doubt adding an oz or 2 of fuel oil to 30 or so gallons of gas does much,, maybe adds a little lubrication ? No idea if it does much for moisture. As water and oil dont mix I dont see how it does.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    It's like reading the MSDS ingredients for ordinary salt. It's composition consists of a poisonous gas (chlorine) and an explosive metallic element (sodium) that ignites when exposed to air, yet we use it daily on our food.
    Whats your thoughts Seahorse , is 2+4 and OMC fuel stabilizer the same thing or different ?
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Runner View Post
    Whats your thoughts Seahorse , is 2+4 and OMC fuel stabilizer the same thing or different ?
    The new blue stuff is great for today's fuels. Use it as specified in the directions., more is not better
    -----

Here is an article on the new formula 2+4. Notice it says that the new 2+4 does not carry the hazardous material warning meaning it does not contain alcohol or other dangerous to ship liquids.

https://bluewaterbillsboatingblog.wo...l-conditioner/
    -----

16. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    Here is an article on the new formula 2+4. Notice it says that the new 2+4 does not carry the hazardous material warning meaning it does not contain alcohol or other dangerous to ship liquids.

https://bluewaterbillsboatingblog.wo...l-conditioner/
    Stop posting information like this...the non believers have a tin foil hat that repel information like this. To them it will always be snake oil that is wasted $. I often tell people boat is not a word. It's an acronym for Break Out Another Thousand. My boat is a hole that I enjoy throwing $ into as often as I can

17. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Stop posting information like this...the non believers have a tin foil hat that repel information like this. To them it will always be snake oil that is wasted $. I often tell people boat is not a word. It's an acronym for Break Out Another Thousand. My boat is a hole that I enjoy throwing $ into as often as I can