Guide Pokes on Bass Boat Trailer

Do any of you guys run guide poles on your bass boat trailer?

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Can’t say I’ve seen them on bass boat style boats. My bay boat had them but the bunks were vertical and that boat loaded SO easy on the trailer. I’d think it’s because of the lack of stern depth of the style.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

3. Member
    https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Traile...h/CE27620.html
    Something like this ?
    Yes, I have. It was a low profile trailer. Couldn't see the back of it without the boat on it. Nearly impossible to backup without some kind of pole on the back.

4. Member
    I put a set on my tin rig. I couldn’t see the trailer when backing to load. I put them mainly for that, the boat practically loads itself and if I’m off center, it straightens out once I crank up the winch.

5. Member
    Don’t the fenders already act as guide poles.

6. Banned
    Just use your 2 rear view mirrors... Dan

As noted above, due to the low dead rise and transom height of most bass boats, guide poles are not needed for loading these types of boats. The only practical thing they would accomplish would be visibility while backing the trailer, also as noted above. If someone needs guide poles for loading a bass boat, they are most likely backing their trailer in way too far. With the trailer backed in appropriately, bass boats easily self center on the bunks and load with ease. At least, every bass boat I've owned or been in has.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

8. Member
    They come standard on 2018 and newer Xpress boats.

I like mine.

My Ameritrail for the Sterling has them and they are nice in a current but I'm a great boat driver and rarely touch them .

10. Member
    I made a set I use on a small lake that has a steep ramp. 2 inch pvc set in chain link fence vertical pole bases. A set screw holds in place. They are mounted on the checker plate behind fender well.

11. Member
    Some of the nw onew have led lights on top. That is the type I use on my rig. Really nice and bright and makes changing lanes at night or loading or unloading at a ramp in the darkness easy.The lighta are red towards the rear and yellow towards the driver.

12. Member
    I've wondered about rear rollers as well. One lake in particular here I have to back down further so that the front comes in above the bow roller but the stern floats over the fender boards when its windy. Power loading is not allowed at this ramp. Being by myself I have to pull up the truck up and then recenter the boat on the bunks.

My old 78' Hydra Sport had a manually operated single keel roller near the bow that would lift the front up when it came in lower than the bow roller.
    Last edited by 4Kboater; 10-08-2018 at 09:13 AM.

They use to make one that was spring loaded. It was mounted near the back roller. When you drove on the trailer it would just fold down out of the way.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Just use your 2 rear view mirrors... Dan
    Dan, there are a lot of people out there who can't master backing up with the rear views.