Thread: Bow digging?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Member
    He said the 99 efi motors are a lot different than the newer motors and require different things. If it's a lie he told it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Brob52 View Post
    He said the 99 efi motors are a lot different than the newer motors and require different things. If it's a lie he told it lol
    Did you remove the transducer from the pad ans check for clean water flow off the pad to the lower unit
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by Fatshaft Merc View Post
    I'll bet 2 to 1 that the low water pick up l/u that you put on there is SLOWER than what you have now. Your boat with a 200 does not have the hp to weight ratio for you to raise the lower unit up to even with the pad or more. And that's where a low water pick up l/u needs to run or it will produce way more drag than the standard l/u, thus, slowing you down.

No competent prop guy or boat guy would advise you to put a LWP l/u on that rig. Your prop is your plowing problem. Your water pressure is another issue. Is he selling you this LWP l/u? If so, he has motivation to convince you that it is the solution to your problem.

I would also bet that your hull has water logged foam in the hull too and it is a lot heavier than it should be.

If you are plowing water at WOT and you just keep trimming up and the boat stays flat without any bow lift, you're just trimming your water intakes up out of the water and of course you lose pressure.

Get a GOOD prop with good cup in the tips and see what it does.
    If you cant trim up you will not get lift with any prop. Must correct the water pressure issue first, He said earlier he had a transducer mounted on the pad. It has got to go and retest
    Thank You Leon Pugh

I was told earlier that was perfect for for that older model efi. You may be right.
    I have a 2000 - 200 EFI and I was told by Don in the Mercury forum not go over 5800 RPMs, because of the plastic cage bearings.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Did you remove the transducer from the pad ans check for clean water flow off the pad to the lower unit
    Haven't yet. Will not get a chance to until Thursday at the earliest or Saturday at the latest

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    I have a 2000 - 200 EFI and I was told by Don in the Mercury forum not go over 5800 RPMs, because of the plastic cage bearings.
    I wonder if there is a difference in the 2000s and 99s. Idk. I was always told 5800 until now as well.

If you cant trim up you will not get lift with any prop. Must correct the water pressure issue first, He said earlier he had a transducer mounted on the pad. It has got to go and retest
    A prop will/should lift the bow/boat at neutral trim. If the prop will not/cannot lift the bow, positive trim is just trimming the prop and intakes out of the water.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    Fatshaft Merc is correct, ignoring his advice will just cost you more time and money. There are 3 common gear ratios used on the V-6 Mercs, 2.0, 1.87, and 1.75. The lower units can be identical except for the actual gear ratio. It's just like the gear ratio in the rear end of your car. The lower the ratio (higher the number) the more leverage the motor has to turn the prop. Hence, a lower ratio, such as a 2.0 compared to a 1.87, will give you more leverage on the low end, but turn the propeller fewer rotations per minute on the top end. The difference between the 1.87 (which is a very common gear ratio to be found on 200 HP Mercurys, such as my own) is not significant enough to cause serious issues. The larger 1.75 gear ratio will simply have a little less hole shot and turn the prop slightly faster. Keep in mind, the drive shaft which the water pump impeller is on turns the same speed as the crankshaft of the motor, regardless of the gear ratio...hence why gear ratio has nothing to do with water pressure. Your pressure is too low. Even plowing the front end, your lower unit with standard water pick ups should be getting adequate water at your motor height. Changing lower units may, in fact, correct the problem because the water pump is located in the lower unit. If you have a bad water pump, and you switch to a lower unit that has a good water pump, it will correct the problem. The gear ratio, however, has nothing to do with it. The propeller, on the other hand, may very well be causing you to plow. Turning it faster than it is now (as you are already getting 6100 RPMs) will likely have no impact on bow lift, if nothing changes with the prop. I'm curious, what is your water pressure at around 3,000-4,000 RPM? Are you on plane at these speeds?

Agree,
    When I changed from older 1.75 to the 1.87 I lost about 3-4mph at 5500. Hadnt winded it out to 6k yet cause 66 is fast enough for my Superchamp
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

How'd that coned l/u run? Inquiring minds want to know.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatshaft Merc View Post
    How'd that coned l/u run? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Still have not done it. been too busy. worked all week and fished a tourney Saturday out of a different boat.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teadow1972 View Post
    Agree,
    When I changed from older 1.75 to the 1.87 I lost about 3-4mph at 5500. Hadnt winded it out to 6k yet cause 66 is fast enough for my Superchamp
    Ok so it took a while, but I swapped the lower units and put on a new water pump. First run was with a 25 tempest plus. Jumped on plane good. Felt like it accelerated faster, but once I got maybe half way trimmed up I lost water pressure (even tho my lift seemed better) and when I went to turn to go back to the landing I lost control and spun around. Got back and lowered my motor to 4 1/8 p2p and swapped to a 4 blade trophy. It's a 26p but its supposed to be worked down to a 24 is what a buddy told me. This time the boat was slower to plane and rpms shot up to 7 grand while planing. I was able to trim up all the way psi around 9. Rpms 5600 this time. Big drop in rpms. Water would drop if I hit some chop or turned too sharp. Speed was 58mph GPS. The tempest was faster, but couldn't get it rolling due to psi. Thoughts? Gotta be prop right? Should I drop motor even lower?

Ok so it took a while, but I swapped the lower units and put on a new water pump. First run was with a 25 tempest plus. Jumped on plane good. Felt like it accelerated faster, but once I got maybe half way trimmed up I lost water pressure (even tho my lift seemed better) and when I went to turn to go back to the landing I lost control and spun around. Got back and lowered my motor to 4 1/8 p2p and swapped to a 4 blade trophy. It's a 26p but its supposed to be worked down to a 24 is what a buddy told me. This time the boat was slower to plane and rpms shot up to 7 grand while planing. I was able to trim up all the way psi around 9. Rpms 5600 this time. Big drop in rpms. Water would drop if I hit some chop or turned too sharp. Speed was 58mph GPS. The tempest was faster, but couldn't get it rolling due to psi. Thoughts? Gotta be prop right? Should I drop motor even lower?
    Take some pictures from the back of the boat at prop shaft height that show the pad and nose cone and post them
    If you can lay a straight edge on the pad extending out to the nose cone with the trim set neutral positions while taking the shots
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Member
    Take some pictures from the back of the boat at prop shaft height that show the pad and nose cone and post them
    If you can lay a straight edge on the pad extending out to the nose cone with the trim set neutral positions while taking the shots
    It keeps telling me that the file exceeds the limit. I'll PM them to you if it will let me

14. Member
    It keeps telling me that the file exceeds the limit. I'll email you

15. Member
    In the pics its actually closer to 4 inches looks like.

Try tiny pic for uploading pictures, and choose the message board format. It will resize the photo and give you a link that you can just copy and paste here.

http://tinypic.com/?t=postupload
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

17. Member

18. Member
    Leveled on the pad and the other the level is on cav plate

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    Try tiny pic for uploading pictures, and choose the message board format. It will resize the photo and give you a link that you can just copy and paste here.

http://tinypic.com/?t=postupload
    Thanks for the help

20. Member
    Why does that mid look extra long?? Is this boat capable of speeds needing a coned lower?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast