Merc Monitor and Vessel View Mobile

2013 150 Verado mobel: 1150v23ed , sn: 2b024387. I have a Merc Monitor Level 2 on my boat. My problem since it is a tiller, the gauge is too far away to see detail and adjust screens. I love the thing, but it's location and my eyes don't mix well. Can I add a Vessel view in conjustion to my Merc monitor. I have seen you tube posts on installation, but they only cover how to install just the vessel view mobile. I see it has two leads and they only use one. Could I simply plug the unused lead to my merc Monitor? I tried to ask at my local dealer parts desk but they didn't know what either item was and would not let me speak to a Mechanic.
    Ches.
    2013 Lund 2010 Pro Guide, 150 Verado SN:2B024387
    2X Helix 12's Mega G2N's, Lvl. 2 Merc Monitor

2. Member
    Does anyone know what the second lead does?

3. Member

Would think you already have SmartCraft network on your boat, if you already have a MercMonitor installed...so, should just be able to find the junction box and plug the VV Mobile in.

Got the links on those videos here:
    https://samerwebapp01apncus01.blob.c...obile_faqs.pdf

I think the 2nd "lead" on the VesselView mobile module is to connect the termination resistor as mentioned here.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

4. Member
    Actually my boat does not have a Junction block. It's a tiller so you don't need it for electronic shift. I wired the Merc Monitor direct to the engine with a 20' extender cable which is plugged into the engine port. The second lead almost looks to me to be a pass thru lead. I would think you would not need to put a terminator block on it unless the signals pass thru. If so, I would think I could just place it on the boat end of my extender wire then plug it into my merc monitor.
    Ches.

5. Member
    The Level 2 has a NMEA connection which allows you to display most of the data on your depth sounder.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You likely have a Male-Male Junction Adapter between the blue cable, and the MercMonitor Harness.

Replace that with a Junction Box, plug right into the Junction Box.

Note: Make sure what you have is actually a MercMonitor (and not an older System Monitor, which DIFFERS from the above).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Don, it is the ECO Merc Monitor Level 2. Still no answer on what the second lead does.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The second lead would do NOTHING in this installation. You already have terminating resistors at both ends of the network, so there is no need for any additional ones.

Follow Post #6 and it should work fine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The second lead would do NOTHING in this installation. You already have terminating resistors at both ends of the network, so there is no need for any additional ones.

Follow Post #6 and it should work fine.
    Don, you still didn't answer what that lead does.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The answer is right there in the quote you posted. That lead is a location for a 10-pin terminating resistor (when you REMOVED a resistor to plug the unit in).

Example: Engine without Smartcraft, you remove the resistor at the engine and plug in the unit. You must then place the resistor on the second harness of the Vessel View Mobile.