Thread: Volt Meter

Volt Meter

Has anyone hooked up a starting battery volt meter direct to monitor the battery condition? I want to hook up a volt meter direct to monitor my starting battery because most of the electronics run off the starting battery this way I can see the battery condition prior to starting the engine. I see a lot of gauges but cannot find one that has a on-off switch or a momentary switch that has a round hole for installation or a surface mount with a small hole for the wires to go thur the dash panel. Has anyone done this?

i just have the volts displayed on my graphs.

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

3. Banned
    Most electronics have a Battery Voltage window menu option.

4. Member
    My first Skeeter was a 1989 175SF. It had a factory 2" round Volt gauge at the bow beside Trl Motor plugin with a momentary switch between each battery. I found it really handy to check batteries without turning anything on or opening battery compartment...even with the trailering cover on. I've been looking for one of these gauges for my ZX200 but no luck so far...

5. Member
    If you find one let me know, thanks

6. Member
    Will do

7. Member
    Take a look at the Blue Sea OLED meters. There's two sizes, a mini (about $55) that needs a 1.125" round mounting hole and the M2 series that mounts in a 2.125" round hole. The M2 can monitor 4 batteries but is very pricey ($275). Neither has a switch so either add your own or connect downstream of your battery cutoff switch.
    As mentioned, most newer graphs have a built in voltage display you can select, however, that is not usually a true reading of the battery terminal voltage due voltage drops along the wiring path. If you have a direct connection with properly sized wire then it will be closer.