Go To Techniques?

So I was hoping we could share some knowledge about what techs we like to use to catch crappie and the type of waters we fish. I'll start and hope other's jump in. I fish mostly deep clear lakes with aquatic vegetation and brush piles. My go to techs are casting 2" Kalin or Southern Pro grubs on 1/16 and 1/8 ounce jig heads and counting them down to depth and reeling them slow. I also do quite a bit of vertical fishing when they are a little deeper. For that my go to is 1/8 or 1/4 ounce jig head and Bobby Garland Baby Shads. Another thing I do is vertical trolling over and around brush piles. I do that with a 1/4oz jig and a 2" soft plastic and I just drop it down to depth and troll around and over brush with the trolling motor at about 0.5-1mph depending on what seems to trigger bites. I use live bait on occasion but not very often but when I do it's usually a vertical presentation. I like to use a trolling sinker and rig up something that resembles a carolina rig and fish it right over the side of the boat with a 10' jigging pole. Let's hear what type of water you guys fish, deep/shallow, clear/stained, rivers/lakes, and how you catch them!

2. Member
    BTW can't believe I have missed this forum on here for so long. I chase crappie a lot more than bass these days. I'll be hanging out over here quite a bit.

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Only fish for them in the late fall/winter... I'll do it the easy way by trolling for them on open water....have 2 jig poles with 4 jigs tied about 12" apart on each pole.....not good enough to have more than 2 poles going....

The particular place I fish is a large complex with lots of bayous and a large lake. It's good water clarity for the south IF it hasn't been raining.....there are a few deep holes about 20'-25' deep but average is around 15'......of one fishes them year round they can follow or figure them out to stay with the fish, someone like me that dont just goes out there blind and finds the crowd and joins in.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I crappie fish year round but am still learning how to be successful in the summer. My favorite way to fish is single pole jig fishing. 99 percent of the time its all i will do unless its Spring and they go to the banks and then I will cast and slow retrieve. I always tandem rig either a Koops Crappie Killer, A bobby garland, bonehead or beaver bottom bait. I do have several other brands of baits in the boat and tackle box but those are my primary. Jig fishing is my passion. I go to sleep thinking about it and wake up thinking about it. HAHA

5. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    BTW can't believe I have missed this forum on here for so long. I chase crappie a lot more than bass these days. I'll be hanging out over here quite a bit.
    Sweet man, good to hear.

6. Member
    Something I tinkered with a little this summer was a "little mickey" Cotten Cordell spoon around brush. The only problem is the treble hooks want to hang everything. I decided to clip one of the hooks off with a set of side cutters and spool up with heavier line just for this technique in hopes of avoiding losing so many spoons but I haven't been back out to try it yet. You may want to give it a try. They hit it when I couldn't get them to touch anything else on a hot summer day.

7. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Something I tinkered with a little this summer was a "little mickey" Cotten Cordell spoon around brush. The only problem is the treble hooks want to hang everything. I decided to clip one of the hooks off with a set of side cutters and spool up with heavier line just for this technique in hopes of avoiding losing so many spoons but I haven't been back out to try it yet. You may want to give it a try. They hit it when I couldn't get them to touch anything else on a hot summer day.
    I want to try some of the brinks spoons soon. Hear a lot of good about them.

8. Member
    My favorite is casting a Charlie Brewer slider on a 3/32 oz head. Go to color is black with a chart. tail.

9. Member
    With water temps dropping over the next couple month the rock and rip rap will start producing as the nights get colder. Transition time here so the breaklines along the creeks and rivers will start to see some migration towards winter haunts in deep water brushpiles. Find the baitfish balls and the Crappie won't be far off. Every now and then they will run really shallow also this time of year. Kind of a reverse from the early and spring movements.

10. Member
    Long line troll

11. Member
    Flipping wood with a tube or stinger. I prefer a bobber but sometimes the crappie don't like it.

12. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I use jig and tubes only and will either vertical jig (tight line) or pitch them under a cork.

Dale Sinclair original

13. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    I use jig and tubes only and will either vertical jig (tight line) or pitch them under a cork.
    I need to try the cork fishing. I have never done it before.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOONER*REDNECK View Post
    Try it on a day where they are suspended over cover and there is just a little wind. The ripples on the water will make the cork go up and down just enough to entice them. It's a fun way to catch them when they are on it.

15. Banned
    No secrets here. On my home water, I target them before ice up and after ice out, water in the 40's. I fish a lot of boat lifts and docks. Live bait, Gulp minnows, and Kalins Crappie Scrubs. 6lb mono in camo green on a 5 ft ultralight. Bare hook under a small splitshot and a Rocket Bobber. There are a couple lakes I'll fish structure in 20-30 fow, but those are rarities.

16. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Try it on a day where they are suspended over cover and there is just a little wind. The ripples on the water will make the cork go up and down just enough to entice them. It's a fun way to catch them when they are on it.
    Yeah in the Spring when the creeks rise we will tear sandbass up with a cork. Occasionally a crappie will bite it but I havnt targeted them with a cork yet.

17. Member
    I like a spinner sometimes too for flash and a little thump. I typically opt for a barbed Road Runner head and a 2" grub or a Bobby Garland Baby Shad. Thanks for the input and pics.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOONER*REDNECK View Post
    Watching the cork disappear is addicting!!
    2002 Basstracker Pro-Team 185xt
    90 HP Tracker by Mercury
    MinnKota Ulltrex 80/45
    HB 858 DI @ Bow
    HB 998 SI @ Console

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004Rhino View Post
    Watching the cork disappear is addicting!!
    I fished with an older gentleman years ago that said "the crappie would pull the cork under so fast it would leave a hole in the water"

20. Member
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:47 AM.