1992 astro 15b with 92 mercury 90hp

I'm asking this question for a friend and you guys are the experts.

The boat will run about 32 mph GPS, and turn about 4200 rpm. It has a 21p prop. It also porpoises very bad and you just can't find a sweet spot in the trim. There is no jack plate on the boat.

Does anyone have one of these boats? He's interested in what speed you get and prop you are using. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Sounds like its over propped to me
    1999 Stratos 273 DC
    1999 Johnson 115
    2021 Ram Limited

3. Member
    That's what I was thinking. We ran a compression check yesterday, it's a little weak, between 95-100 on all cylinders. Going to try a 19p prop today.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuel View Post
    That's what I was thinking. We ran a compression check yesterday, it's a little weak, between 95-100 on all cylinders. Going to try a 19p prop today.
    So the deal with compression tests are is that gauges read differently so you really don't know if it's weak or not. The important thing is that the numbers are all withing 10% of each other which they are.
    My guess is it's over propped, not getting full throttle or something like the boats water logged, but I don't think the cylinders are wore out.
    Anyway, good luck
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

5. Member
    Thanks for the reply. Tried the 19p and picked up 300 rpm but no more speed. I checked and all the carbs are fully opening. Motor is smooth and sounds good.
    I've used the same compression gauge on my 175 and it checked 120-125 on all cylinders. Maybe it is water logged, its definately not loaded heavy, 3 batts and a half tank fuel, with very little equipment. Shouldn't this boat run at least 40-45 mph?

6. Member
    what kind of prop is it?aluminum or stainless performance prop or
    just a regular ol prop?

7. Member
    Both pitches were factory mercury props, and stainless. I dont know the part numbers.