Thread: Rubber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rubber

I had the rubber piece that keeps the S hook from falling off the hitch disappear. Does anybody know where I can buy just the rubber piece? Thanks

2. Member
    Just go to ur sporting goods store, (I got mine at Academy), and get u an S dual spring carabiner hook to replace the S hook u have now. It’s a lot easier to hook and unhook rather than fumbling around with that little black rubber piece. I found the carabiner hook around the camping/outdoor section.

3. Member

USA

I doubt that the carabiner hook is as strong as the S hook that came with the cables or chains. My rubber pieces fell off 12 years ago.

Just put that hooks in from underneath NOT over the top and they will stay much better.

4. Member
    Check any U haul store they use those pieces of rubber or any trailer store

5. Member
    You must drive over some really rough roads! Never had a hook fall off of a trailer, never had a rubber coated one before... I would think some wiring shrink wrap would work good for this. They make different thicknesses and diameters. Just make sure you don't get the one with the heat activated glue in it or you will play hell getting it off when you replace it later.

For some reason I don't believe we are talking about the same rubber---------------piece.

7. Member
    Oh hell, I was assuming op was talkin about the rubber on the safety breakaway cable for the brakes. Never mind my recommendation. Carabiner hooks would not be good at all for the actual safety cables. My bad. Probably should have re-read his post before I replied.

8. Member
    I still don't know what the OP is talking about. Don't have any rubber pieces at my hitch and I've owned a few boats in my day.
    Rocket

9. Member
    My safety cables had little rubber pieces that look like dog bones on them. After you attach to the hitch you slide this rubber piece of the end of the s hook. It keeps the s hook from falling off the hitch. This is the first time I have seen a trailer with them. Normally the s hooks have a spring loaded clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunkerhunter3 View Post
    My safety cables had little rubber pieces that look like dog bones on them. After you attach to the hitch you slide this rubber piece of the end of the s hook. It keeps the s hook from falling off the hitch. This is the first time I have seen a trailer with them. Normally the s hooks have a spring loaded clip.
    I knew what you were talking about..
    Not the best way to secure an S hook in my opinion..

11. Member
    I have had a fair number of various trailers and just a few had any type of system to keep the safety chains on the vehicle. Never have had a chain come off. Never. I usually put a couple of twists in the chains and cross them, but not always.

12. Member
    That clears it up for me and it seems that I have noticed something like that sometime/somewhere or other. I know Jeep and big semi use something similar to that on their hoods.
    Rocket

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunkerhunter3 View Post
    I had the rubber piece that keeps the S hook from falling off the hitch disappear. Does anybody know where I can buy just the rubber piece? Thanks
    you could make your own with the black bunge cords. or these from etrailer. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...BX84-0141.html

14. Joe4d
    Scroll down, you could buy 2 of the Curt Caribiner snap style hooks cheaper than those rubber doodads.

15. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I really doubt a carabiner would do much to stop your boat if it were to unhitch for some reason while being towed. I’m not smart enough to figure out how much force a 2000 pound boat being pulled at 70mph would make but I really doubt the carabiner would do much other than snap.

I’ve never seen those little rubber pieces for sale separately...I know that I’ve never had an s hook come out of its slot on my hitch, but I bet if you took a woman’s hair tie/pony tail holder thingy you could put it on first and hold the hooks on that way.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

I figure that depends on what the carabiner is rated for.
    The one mentioned above cost 2.95 and is rated at 5000 lbs.

17. Member
    Call Jet-a-marine ask for Carrol, I have bought them there about a year ago. The round hole slides all the way down to the end of the "S" and the slit goes on the open end to keep hook in place. It may be an old Ranger item not sure. Ranger364

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...BX84-0141.html

I think these are what you are looking for. I have used open S hooks for years and never had one come off. When you hook to the hitch put the hook past the hitch and hook it as you pull it back towards the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Islands View Post
    https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...BX84-0141.html

I think these are what you are looking for. I have used open S hooks for years and never had one come off. When you hook to the hitch put the hook past the hitch and hook it as you pull it back towards the boat.
    HMMM---- Looks strikingly similar to those in post # 13 ..

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    HMMM---- Looks strikingly similar to those in post # 13 ..
    Oops! Sorry for the wasted bandwidth. Will return to my previously scheduled dumbassedness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast