Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Maybe he just accidentally said weeks but meant months.
    Nope he showed me the paperwork.

2. Member
    Don’t you think the motors go to dealers/manufacturers to meet boat sale demands first before they are made available to motor buyers only? I would bet they do as bulk buyers and boat sales drive their market sales as much as 90% or more would be my guess. They have to meet that demand first.
    i am sure someone here knows those details better than me.

Welll my merc is slighly faster. The my 2 stroke.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Member
    Doesnt seem like a bad problem to have. Got money to buy whatever motor you want just cause its the latest and greatest and having to wait for it. Hell i have a 2001 Johnson with a bad lower unit and im trying to figure how im gonna come up with $1000 for a new before next spring. Im not being a smart*** or insensitive to your situation. Just saying it could be worse. Obviously you've done better for yourself in life than i have. Good for you. Im sure they will get it right soon. And if you cant get over your issue your having the way they are treating their dealers then find another companys motor you like and run with it. Goodluck. Hope it works out.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman920 View Post
    I have talked to 3 different Merc owners that have repowered with the new 4 strokes” & they have all experienced a 4 to 6 mph speed loss ‘on the top end “ over the 2 stroke 250 pro xs !. otherwise the hole shot & mid range is incredible!...
    My Mercury mechanic has rigged 5 or 6 of the new V8's. Generally, compared to their previous Merc Pro XS's, he says the owners are reporting:

1) Tremendous torque and holeshot
    2) A little more top end
    3) A little better fuel economy

He also knows how to prop them.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    Read my post this isn’t about me it is about the small dealers and the position they have been put in!

7. Member

...SB...
    2006 Ranger 188 VX with 150 E TEC and I EAT BASS!!!

This is a dribble down issue from Yamaha’s shortage starting in September of 2017, not a total Mercury issue. While Yamaha is about to turn loose of engines, the demand is up and their shipments are down. Factor in that they potentially are behind their normal share by 12% of the market, this forces that 12% of engines not produced to other brands. Those brands can only handle so much volume and that capacity gets filtered into the market. Though every month not shipping a Yamaha moves all other engines further back.

The market is very tight now, and Yamaha increased Mercury’s demand, which has increased more shifts and production inside Mercury. The market growth is estimated as just below 10%, and Mercury can’t manage this production obligation? There appears to be some resolution ongoing for Yamaha and more dependency on schedules.

As a boat mfg, we forecast and order 14 months ahead with Mercury. This is how manufacturers receive engines, whereas dealer often spot order by demand. The few dealers that do order for inventory are not forecasting the next 14 months.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 10-25-2018 at 12:07 AM.

9. Member
    Having been on the other end of this type of scenario as the rep in a different industry I assure you that Mercury is not intentionally lying to the dealer. These situations get very dynamic and a firm delivery commitment simply isn't possible. I doubt the OP is privy to the discussions between the Merc rep and the dealership so they are hearing the message only through the lens of the dealership. The dealer doesn't want to tell you that your one off order is insignificant and risk you wanting your money back so they are going to string you along. As BCB and others point out Merc most likely has contractual obligations to the boat manufacturers who are their key customers buying significant volume. Anyone with 2 brain cells aren't going to jeopardize those relationships so that they can send a product to a one off customer that buys a few engines a year. In a situation with an extreme shortage it is better to piss off a one off customer than your major source of revenue. Unless this shortage quickly abates itself I would not expect to see your motor anytime soon. Your only recourse is to cancel your order and wait until the supply rebounds or to wait until the supply rebounds enough where they are able to siphon off enough one offs to fill your order. Either way you are likely waiting behind the big boys who forecasted their needs 12-18 months ago, buy a significant volume of engines every year, and many times will have guaranteed volume of deliveries even in a supply shortage. Also keep in mind that these engines aren't only for bass boats. I think our perspective on a site like this quickly gets myopic.
    Last edited by FishinDad; 10-28-2018 at 08:25 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234