Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    That has been my plan all along ,the post is what the small dealer has been told by their Mercury reps ,and the way Mercury has handled their issues as a manufacturer rep for over 43 years I had to deal with the same issues many times in my career and I found out early on that being straight up honest with my dealer network was the best policy. This was the reason for the post!

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Mccamis View Post
    That has been my plan all along ,the post is what the small dealer has been told by their Mercury reps ,and the way Mercury has handled their issues as a manufacturer rep for over 43 years I had to deal with the same issues many times in my career and I found out early on that being straight up honest with my dealer network was the best policy. This was the reason for the post!

So what has been your plan?

3. Member
    Being honest and telling the truth!

4. Member
    Yamaha started the shortage. I believe they make a guesstimate on the market and schedule production based on their projection.
    The market went crazy and so Yamaha has been way behind on outboard production.

Mercury introduced a new line of motors at the Miami Boat Show in February and then said their motors would not show up till May. That was the V6s.
    They then announced the V8s in June and they said there would be third round of announcements later in the year. That announcement has been rolled back evidently since it was originally supposed to be out in September.
    Most of the salt water guys have known how far behind Mercury is and right now you order a motor and expect it in 9 to 12 months. Some manufacturers can get them a little earlier. I believe the V8s are a month or so behind the V6s. I heard they are building 130 outboards a day.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    1999 Allison w/01 200 Pro Max
    2000 Dodge w/Cummins

Quote Originally Posted by birdman920 View Post
    1st rule of buying new motor!..... “never buy 1st year of production!.... what were you thinking ?
    EXACTLY!!!

6. Member
    I have talked to 3 different Merc owners that have repowered with the new 4 strokes” & they have all experienced a 4 to 6 mph speed loss ‘on the top end “ over the 2 stroke 250 pro xs !. otherwise the hole shot & mid range is incredible!...

7. mikesxpress
    Must be propped incorrectly? My repower from 250 Opti to the V8 on a pig Ranger Z21 Intracoastal gives me 2+ mph.

8. Banned
    I have talked to 3 different Merc owners that have repowered with the new 4 strokes” & they have all experienced a 4 to 6 mph speed loss ‘on the top end “ over the 2 stroke 250 pro xs !. otherwise the hole shot & mid range is incredible!...

First time I’ve read that and I read a lot here.

9. mikesxpress
    My 2nd cousins aunts step son twice removed said the same thing.

Best to stick with the information provided on the Mercury board by the actual owners of the V8's.
    Remember the general section of BBC is right next to "The Lounge".

10. Member
    One thing to remember, especially on a repower there is a tendency to slap the old prop on and go. Even now Merc is putting on their best props for there 2stroke engines. I have not heard of a new prop tuned for this engine. I bet we see something soon. Obviously this engine has a different torque curve and a prop tuned to that curve can wake up the top end.

I don't run one but have seen it before in other "New" engine designs.

Tight lines guys.
    1994 Ranger 392
    1994 200 Johnson Venom Oops not any more
    2017 200ho G2
    The old girl has some serious kick now

11. Member
    Hmmmmm.................I will be happy with my 225 Pro XS Opti for a couple more years.......10 at least!

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Just got a note from my buddy that place an order for his V-6 175 4 stroke in March of this year. As stated Merc didn't expect the demand for the motor and he said the 175's aren't the most in demand off the family. He did say he got an update and it looks like it may be April before he gets his. That's a long ways away from a 14 week deliver time.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Just got a note from my buddy that place an order for his V-6 175 4 stroke in March of this year. As stated Merc didn't expect the demand for the motor and he said the 175's aren't the most in demand off the family. He did say he got an update and it looks like it may be April before he gets his. That's a long ways away from a 14 week deliver time.

Holy crap! I think if I was forced to repower right now it would be a Suzuki. I can’t believe the backlog!

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    First time I’ve read that and I read a lot here.
    Same here and I've been in three boats to with the new V8 and they were not slower than the older pro XS.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    Same here and I've been in three boats to with the new V8 and they were not slower than the older pro XS.

Aren’t you supposed to be out catching dinks?

Good luck though, hope you find the fat girls.

Quote Originally Posted by opaleski View Post
    EXACTLY!!!
    That may have been true 20 years ago but today The situation with all car manufacturers and with Mercury is different the motor was in R&D for years before it was released .

17. Member
    the best R & D ‘ the manufacturer gets is the consumer! , a heck of a lot more out in the general public’ than on lake “X” !

18. Member
    Get the 250R. It is supposed to be a beast.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Maybe he just accidentally said weeks but meant months.

20. Scraps
    No way would I be putting in an order now and think that Merc would be meeting their delivery date. A little nieve to think this wasn't a possible outcome.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast