Wet sanding question, when do I know how much sanding is enough

How do I know when to stop sanding with each grit when wet sanding my boat

2. Member
    go by feel and look.

what are you wet sanding and how rough? typically if your going just for a "polish" with we sanding you scrub away until you get a mirror finish. (permitting you are using right grit #)
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

i did my 96 basscat starting with 1500 grit then 2500, i followed the pro-tec instructions and it worked out perfectly. My top cap was not really too bad, i just kept feeling the sanded parts the smoother the better. you can always stop wipe clean and polish/wax and buff a small part to see what the results are then either keep going or finish up per the instructions of the product you are using.

If you have bad oxidation, the water runoff from the gelcoat will turn a milky color as you are wet sanding, when the water starts to run clear it is time to move up to the next finer grit.

All of the above answers are correct to a point however with out seeing the boat no one can give you a set answer. Every boat I work is different. You also may not start and finish with the same grit paper all the way around the boat....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com