Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Stock lower unit. 250 xs comes with sportmaster. Xb21 has already been 101.8 with stock 300r with s a stock lower unit (again a sportmaster)

Not questioning BCB They seem quite intelligent and reponses are dead on. It’s the owners that are misinformed.

Something that may trip up mass produced boaters is the stock SHO lower unit wil not run on a performance boat. It cannot be fully surfaced It is not much if any better than a torqumaster lower unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Your 250 XB21 is not sporting a new Proxs 250 V8 4 stroke. Guaranty it. Its sporting model with a modified LU. The stock LU will keep you below 90 mph. The post made by BCB was with a stock Merc and LU.
    Your 21 foot Ally weighs near 400lbs less than the 20 foot Eyra. That weight is lost to gain speed, but loses in strength. You cant have them both. You wont bring that Ally in the stump fields that I troll my BCB thru.
    What's amazing is that your on a BCB forum questioning the company about its boats, its marketing strategy, its experience in boat engineering and their word.
    BCB has already modified a Jag hull back in the day and ran triple digits with it. I am sure they have the engineering ability to build a boat to run with your Ally. That is not their marketing intentions or strategy.
    The Eyra is a bridge boat...to run with a 200Hp-300hp. Its also in my opinion the sexiest bass boat on the market.
    I am on the Allison BBC forum often. I enjoy the input from Ally owners and their ability to drive and chase those numbers. Not impressed with a few of the Non-BCB owners on here.
    I do not get on your site an comment on the garbage trailers that Allison puts your 80k + dollar boat on. Its your love and passion for Allison boats that keep you in them regardless of any shortcomings. Same as Bullet owners that need to tighten their cap screws after a rough water outing. I will never have to do that on my BCB. Yet I'm not on the Bullet site pointing that out.
    Bass Cat owners are the same. We are passionate about our boats and believe its the best made rig plus fit our needs.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    Stock lower unit. 250 xs comes with sportmaster. Xb21 has already been 101.8 with stock 300r with s a stock lower unit (again a sportmaster)

Not questioning BCB They seem quite intelligent and reponses are dead on. It’s the owners that are misinformed.

Something that may trip up mass produced boaters is the stock SHO lower unit wil not run on a performance boat. It cannot be fully surfaced It is not much if any better than a torqumaster lower unit.
    My mistake than. I thought the Torque Master was on the new V8 Mercs. I'm not familiar with the SHO. I know its has been a good motor for heavier boats needing low-mid torque.
    I do know of a Eyra in the mid 80's with one, Bass Cats tend to run deeper than other boats, thus the reason the SHO does well.
    Tritons, Bullets and Allys's tend to run the prop much shallower.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

3. Member
    Correct. Have to purchase an r version on the new motoros or xs on the old motors to get sportmaster. Otherwise lower unit had to be purchased separately.

Regarding the SHO lower unit, as XB points out, it can't be surfaced just like the Merc gen 2 torquemaster BUT also, it doesn't come with a fat shaft like the Merc and will break a prop shaft even if it's modified with out having Hydro Tec installing a Mercuy fat shaft in the SHO gear case.

Someone also mentioned that the Ally owner wouldn't run his boat in real stumpy conditions based on the boat isn't going to hold up as well as a Bass Cat? I think the build of both the Bass Cat Eyra and the Ally are just as good as one another. Ally as I'm sure BCB will acknowledge builds and has built for a long long time a VERY high quality product.

BCB boats "at this time" has/had a different vision for the Eyra but as they acknowledged with new motors their ideas and vision is constantly evolving.

I have a friend that has run Allison’s since I was a young kid. He keeps them for a long time and has never had any issues. He only knows one speed and that’s wide open. He’s in his 70’s now and hasn’t slowed down much. His son and grandson both use the boat and it’s still going strong. They make a great boat no doubt. It’s got the weirdest layout of any boat I’ve seen but it’s caught more fish than I’ll ever catch. I know the new ones have a much different deck layout. I don’t think quality is an issue on an Allison.

6. Member
    L

What is your definition of a few ticks? Is an Eyra a 94/96 mph boat with a 250? Because that’s what a xb21/250 with the right setup will do
    Like Cajunhunter, I am really trying to figure out why you are trolling around on the BCB page trying to stir things up? You obviously are just trying to annoy people because you can't even read a full post...or maybe you did and don't want to acknowledge the full post. What I referenced was the article in Bass and Walleye that SHOWS an Allison doing 86. My Eyra will run 82 and a buddy of mine has an Eyra that will run 84. He has actually posted this video more than once and it is very impressive. Quit trying to twist what BCB has stated their intent for the Eyra actually is and that is to offer a boat that will perform very well with a 200 all the way thru a 300. They have never stated that the Eyra will outrun any other boat and they probably don't care if it will. And again, like Cajunhunter said previously, BCB has already built a boat that will perform with any Allison out there and could do it again but don't feel the ROI on the pursuit of that size market to be worth their time and energy. Go catch some fish and relax.

7. Member
    Maybe you should read my post or Eli post. The Sho lower unit cannot be surfaced and limits the Allison. The Sho could have 400 Hp and it would only run 86. A mercury sportmaster is required period or it will be stuck with all the others

I started on this post due to it being about the new 300 which is on my wish list. I really could care lesss which boat it is attached to. I want to learn about what props
    Are working and not working and user experiences.

You are the one picking and choosing your information you choose to accept. Believe what you wish
    Last edited by xb03fs; 12-26-2018 at 07:23 PM.

We have run the SHO to 90 with Yamaha engineers in original SHO testing, and the same gearcase.

Brandon Jones started this post to learn what the engine ran like on the Eyra. He obviously owns an Eyra hasn’t posted on this since, as this thread left him.

They really worked VERY long and hard at Lake X to achieve the speeds mentioned with the 300R engine. The high performance game in bass Boats is slowly falling away over the past two decades. There has to be new technology and designs brought forwards, and accepted, for the market to grow.

The cost of the performance market seems to expand and the willingness to reach into affordability seems to contract. The more those two head in opposite directions, the smaller that market will get in relationship. The last 20 years have proven that.

As the engine and horsepower game increases the decision for some to chase a new ____R Mercury (unknown future horsepower), which is not a topic yet (no rumors), remains unknown.

The 350 Verado and 400R Verado has reached a market on the Jaguar, though it also is a small niche market. That is the present direction our efforts are headed and it’s slowly coming together. The demand for a big, and heavy, 22’ boat carrying a bigger motor and running well into the 80’s, seems to have some potential to reach enough numbers for us to build a few there.

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We have run the SHO to 90 with Yamaha engineers in original SHO testing, and the same gearcase.

Brandon Jones started this post to learn what the engine ran like on the Eyra. He obviously owns an Eyra hasn’t posted on this since, as this thread left him.

They really worked VERY long and hard at Lake X to achieve the speeds mentioned with the 300R engine. The high performance game in bass Boats is slowly falling away over the past two decades. There has to be new technology and designs brought forwards, and accepted, for the market to grow.

The cost of the performance market seems to expand and the willingness to reach into affordability seems to contract. The more those two head in opposite directions, the smaller that market will get in relationship. The last 20 years have proven that.

As the engine and horsepower game increases the decision for some to chase a new ____R Mercury (unknown future horsepower), which is not a topic yet (no rumors), remains unknown.

The 350 Verado and 400R Verado has reached a market on the Jaguar, though it also is a small niche market. That is the present direction our efforts are headed and it’s slowly coming together. The demand for a big, and heavy, 22’ boat carrying a bigger motor and running well into the 80’s, seems to have some potential to reach enough numbers for us to build a few there.

BCB

BCB, one observation, I think the reduced sales in the "3 go fast brands" is directly related to " just how much of a difference is there anymore" in top end speeds? Not much. Years ago a Bullet, Allison, or a Stroker was maybe 20 MPH faster than a more main stream bigger manufacturer, now that gap has closed dramatically. I will further add that a fully loaded Elite level Tournament Boat with twin power poles or Talons, a trolling motor on the bow that weighs as much as a MK Ultrex and all the electronics, gear and tons of tackle needed at that level of fishing will slow down ANY bass boat and that gap in top end speed from a lightly weighted "Top 3 fast bass boat" group is closed up even more. Hey, I own one of those "Top 3" but also realize the more stuff I put in it or on it the slower I'm going to go.

With all that being said BCB, and your points about sales numbers etc are very valid, I'm 100% certain nobody in any other brand of boat brags about how much slower their boat is than another brand and that in a perfect world they would want their boat to run faster. Now lets just say as boats and motors continue to evolve the potential speeds continue to rise? That's a fair statement is it not? Look how the speeds a 150 HP tournament boat from the mid and late 80's would compare to a 250 HP powered boat of any brand right now. IMO what BCB can do to continue to gain market share is to keep the gap between your brand and the others, excluding the Elite 3 brands as far apart as possible. Furthermore an argument could be made that if your BCB boats were just as fast or really close to being as fast as the top three you would gain sales as well. It seems to me counter intuitive that you would knowingly build in some type of governor into the Eyra? Maybe that was done in consideration of non surfacing gear case limitations that the majority of modern motors come stock with? Can you elaborate as to what your thinking was behind that especially since you billed the boat as a "bridge boat"? I wonder why now with a 250R and a 300R available a "governors off " true performance tournament boat isn't a good business decision? All bass anglers want an edge speed wise as long as it doesn't give up fishability.

Lastly, why does the future of BCB big boats have to have the word "heavy" in them? I'm not suggesting ultra light lay ups but "heavy" is unnecessary in my opinion, why is it important? Until the major fishing organizations increase HP limits above 250, the 300 and up market is going to be a niche but it's probably coming faster than we all think since the jump from 150 to 250 happened in the blink of an eye, it seems the technology in the new 4.6 L Mercury is up to the challenge of making 350, 400 Hp very reliably. We'll see.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by esdbass View Post
    BCB, one observation, I think the reduced sales in the "3 go fast brands" is directly related to " just how much of a difference is there anymore" in top end speeds? Not much. Years ago a Bullet, Allison, or a Stroker was maybe 20 MPH faster than a more main stream bigger manufacturer, now that gap has closed dramatically. I will further add that a fully loaded Elite level Tournament Boat with twin power poles or Talons, a trolling motor on the bow that weighs as much as a MK Ultrex and all the electronics, gear and tons of tackle needed at that level of fishing will slow down ANY bass boat and that gap in top end speed from a lightly weighted "Top 3 fast bass boat" group is closed up even more. Hey, I own one of those "Top 3" but also realize the more stuff I put in it or on it the slower I'm going to go.

With all that being said BCB, and your points about sales numbers etc are very valid, I'm 100% certain nobody in any other brand of boat brags about how much slower their boat is than another brand and that in a perfect world they would want their boat to run faster. Now lets just say as boats and motors continue to evolve the potential speeds continue to rise? That's a fair statement is it not? Look how the speeds a 150 HP tournament boat from the mid and late 80's would compare to a 250 HP powered boat of any brand right now. IMO what BCB can do to continue to gain market share is to keep the gap between your brand and the others, excluding the Elite 3 brands as far apart as possible. Furthermore an argument could be made that if your BCB boats were just as fast or really close to being as fast as the top three you would gain sales as well. It seems to me counter intuitive that you would knowingly build in some type of governor into the Eyra? Maybe that was done in consideration of non surfacing gear case limitations that the majority of modern motors come stock with? Can you elaborate as to what your thinking was behind that especially since you billed the boat as a "bridge boat"? I wonder why now with a 250R and a 300R available a "governors off " true performance tournament boat isn't a good business decision? All bass anglers want an edge speed wise as long as it doesn't give up fishability.

Lastly, why does the future of BCB big boats have to have the word "heavy" in them? I'm not suggesting ultra light lay ups but "heavy" is unnecessary in my opinion, why is it important? Until the major fishing organizations increase HP limits above 250, the 300 and up market is going to be a niche but it's probably coming faster than we all think since the jump from 150 to 250 happened in the blink of an eye, it seems the technology in the new 4.6 L Mercury is up to the challenge of making 350, 400 Hp very reliably. We'll see.
    I would sum it up to it's gotten easier to make more power and move the weight, look at automobiles. Lighter is always going to be faster, though not easier to drive fast. The outboards have also gotten heavier over the years which a lighter boat is going be more weight conscious as you alluded to. As long as fuel is cheap, boats will continue to get heavier and just offset the weight with more power as it'll make them safer. Interesting you mention the hp rule possibly changing soon, didn't the switch to the 250hp max come around the time Mercury released the 3.0L 2-stroke?
    https://m.bassmaster.com/blogs/2015-...orsepower-race

Not really, that was in 1997 with the move to the west coast and the 200 EFI was popular out west on 19’ to 20’ models. It’s been over 20 years and we don’t see a change anytime soon on Bassmaster horsepower limitations, nor do we think it’s necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    I would sum it up to it's gotten easier to make more power and move the weight, look at automobiles. Lighter is always going to be faster, though not easier to drive fast. The outboards have also gotten heavier over the years which a lighter boat is going be more weight conscious as you alluded to. As long as fuel is cheap, boats will continue to get heavier and just offset the weight with more power as it'll make them safer. Interesting you mention the hp rule possibly changing soon, didn't the switch to the 250hp max come around the time Mercury released the 3.0L 2-stroke?
    https://m.bassmaster.com/blogs/2015-...orsepower-race
    No, lighter is not always faster, lighter is quicker most of the time. In ultra high speed boats, being able to keep the boat from becoming airborne and the concept of the boats "attachment" to the water is important. A lot of things come into play as well as down force and lift characteristics. There are some uniquely built bass boats that are crazy ultra light and while they are very "quick" to date they haven't been the fastest top end. My opinion is that ultra light weigh reduces stability and the boats ability to "set" at very high speeds because the boat is trying to become "un attached" from the waters surface. Boats don't have to get heavier, new materials and building processes allow for greater strength at lower weights than older manufacturing processes. BCB has the capabilities if it chooses to use different building techniques and materials that would allow boat weights to come down while increasing strength. It's not cheap but an option.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by esdbass View Post
    No, lighter is not always faster, lighter is quicker most of the time. In ultra high speed boats, being able to keep the boat from becoming airborne and the concept of the boats "attachment" to the water is important. A lot of things come into play as well as down force and lift characteristics. There are some uniquely built bass boats that are crazy ultra light and while they are very "quick" to date they haven't been the fastest top end. My opinion is that ultra light weigh reduces stability and the boats ability to "set" at very high speeds because the boat is trying to become "un attached" from the waters surface. Boats don't have to get heavier, new materials and building processes allow for greater strength at lower weights than older manufacturing processes. BCB has the capabilities if it chooses to use different building techniques and materials that would allow boat weights to come down while increasing strength. It's not cheap but an option.
    Agreed you can't have cheap, fast and reliable...pick two, remember we're talking about bassboats and not racing for money. If it was all about speed we'd see more of the lightweight boats on the tournament trail, but a light boat bounces around more as it's less stable like you mentioned which equates to not as safe at higher speeds in rough water. The boat with more surface area contacting the water is going to be easier to drive at the same speed, which the greater aero and hydrodynamic drag is overcome with more power. Is a Jaguar with a 400 harder to drive at topspeed than an Eyra with a 300?
    Last edited by Wheelman; 12-27-2018 at 10:30 PM.

14. Banned

BCB
    Speaking of 350 and 400, I looked up their specs from the CARB report below and they show to be making 341hp@5800 and 390hp@7000. They both make peak torque at 4500, 320ftlbs and 325ftlbs respectively so the naturally aspirated 300R 4.6L V8 is not far behind the 350 with only 25 actual hp less and 9ftlbs. With the NA V8 weighing 156lbs less than the supercharged I6 that narrows the gap in performance even more I imagine.
    https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroa...w-001-0477.pdf

15. Member
    I’ve done this shopping a few years ago. Looked at the “go fast” boats with the set up I needed - 250 pro XS ( needed long warranty), twin power poles, 24 volt troller, FULL of tackle (I didn’t want to leave anything at home), co-angler that I might draw checking in at 280 like sometimes happens, and full fuel. I offered this to Rick Pierce at the classic booth and I asked can I get 78 real mph out of this setup with an Eyra. He said yes and he was right. Dead on 78. Light it would go 83 in perfect conditions.

When i I set up an Ally and a 21 foot Bullet the same way, real world speeds were in the 80-82 range loaded. The Bullet was a longer boat though. The 20 foot Bullets were faster but a big compromise in storage. I liked the Allison but 30k more, and no dealer support.

All boat purchases and and designs are just a series of compromises. For the set up as above, which is a typical Opens or Elite set up, the Eyra is pretty much the best bang I found for the buck.

16. Member
    We just try to cater to a market we built over the last 45 plus years. If we decided to ever chase the rabbit rest assured we can and we do know how. BCB
    BOOOOOOOOM........I just have to say, These two sentences are the best part of this entire post!!

And I run a Nitro, and love my boat, but I do like other brands, especially BCB. It is nice to see that Nitro group does not get all the hecklers!!!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    I’ve done this shopping a few years ago. Looked at the “go fast” boats with the set up I needed - 250 pro XS ( needed long warranty), twin power poles, 24 volt troller, FULL of tackle (I didn’t want to leave anything at home), co-angler that I might draw checking in at 280 like sometimes happens, and full fuel. I offered this to Rick Pierce at the classic booth and I asked can I get 78 real mph out of this setup with an Eyra. He said yes and he was right. Dead on 78. Light it would go 83 in perfect conditions.
    When i I set up an Ally and a 21 foot Bullet the same way, real world speeds were in the 80-82 range loaded. The Bullet was a longer boat though. The 20 foot Bullets were faster but a big compromise in storage. I liked the Allison but 30k more, and no dealer support.

All boat purchases and and designs are just a series of compromises. For the set up as above, which is a typical Opens or Elite set up, the Eyra is pretty much the best bang I found for the buck.
    If you insisted on putting The wrong lower unit on an Allison. For sure it would be a low 80 mph slug. An Allison boat requires a proper motor height.. The motor 1” too low on mine is a 13 mph swing. There is no longer a difference in warranty between a merc racing 250/300R and a basic pro cs
    Last edited by xb03fs; 02-15-2019 at 06:29 AM.

18. Member
    A low 80 mph slug.
    Dam that's slow.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234