Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    Point is 10hp is 1 mph maybe 1.5 more if the new gearcase as hydrodynamically effieincimt
    As the smaller 3.0 liter sportmaster.

I also really like the idea of electric shift.. shift 30 and 30p props makes me cringe.
    So you're saying on an 8X mph boat 20hp is worth approximately 2-3mph? That was my question about the speed difference in the 300proxs and 300R that I was looking for an answer on. Ironically the hp difference in the new V8 250 and 300 pro XS is only 20hp as well. Nitro gives conservative estimated speeds of their boats with different hp though they offer only one manufacturer, I was only asking for how much of an increase in speed is this motor worth over that one since a back to back test was done.

2. Member
    A 250xs was 275ish and a 300xs was 310 ish some of the best 250 speeds on xb21s are 94-96ish some of the best xb21 speeds with 300 xs are 99-101 ish

So 35-40 hp is approx 5-7 mph...

But there are lots of variables such as load, driving ability, prop, ect. Many xb21with 300s never exceed 90 let alone 95 so...more hp isn’t always faster

3. Banned
    A 250xs was 275ish and a 300xs was 310 ish some of the best 250 speeds on xb21s are 94-96ish some of the best xb21 speeds with 300 xs are 99-101 ish

So 35-40 hp is approx 5-7 mph...

But there are lots of variables such as load, driving ability, prop, ect. Many xb21with 300s never exceed 90 let alone 95 so...more hp isn’t always faster
    Right many variables and that's why I was hoping to here the results from Basscat, the new V8 is heavier than the old 300XS. Drag is exponential, so the faster you go the more power it takes to overcome it. If a 250(276hp) is conservatively an 80mph boat and a 300R(316hp) does 90mph then is it safe to say the 300ProXS(296hp)is a 85mph ride which is basically the limit of the Torque Master gearcase?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    Right many variables and that's why I was hoping to here the results from Basscat, the new V8 is heavier than the old 300XS. Drag is exponential, so the faster you go the more power it takes to overcome it. If a 250(276hp) is conservatively an 80mph boat and a 300R(316hp) does 90mph then is it safe to say the 300ProXS(296hp)is a 85mph ride which is basically the limit of the Torque Master gearcase?
    How do you come up with the new V8 is heavier than the old 3.0 or 3.2 give or take a few pounds, they are about the same was my understanding.

What drag are you talking about? Water, air or are you suggesting the drag from "weight" differences ? A couple HP difference isn't going to do squat if you some how make that same object move more efficiently.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by esdbass View Post
    How do you come up with the new V8 is heavier than the old 3.0 or 3.2 give or take a few pounds, they are about the same was my understanding.

What drag are you talking about? Water, air or are you suggesting the drag from "weight" differences ? A couple HP difference isn't going to do squat if you some how make that same object move more efficiently.
    Looks like the thread has been deleted when I searched to reference it, there was a post from a forum member who weighed his 250R with fluids and no prop it was 53x lbs. The cowling weighed 30lbs, not sure if it's typical for outboard manufacturers to leaveoff the cowling though figured it was included. He also weighed the 150hp 4-stroke which was 22lbs more than advertised with the cowling, maybe that's industry standard or how they did things with the 2-strokes?

Both, but specifically he was referring to the fact the new sportmaster lower unit is larger than the old and therefore less efficient meaning it'll need more power to push it through the water unless you run it higher.

6. Banned
    I found the link posted from a scream and fly thread, hope that helps...
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=925606

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    I found the link posted from a scream and fly thread, hope that helps...
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=925606
    Thanks for the reference on the weights. I'd counter with even the 2 stroke has an oil tank in the boat so you need to fill that up and weigh it for a better Apples to Apples comparison. That's interesting about the new Sportsmaster unit, since the water pick ups are better designed and it can be run higher than the 3L sportsmaster how would one determine it's less efficient ? If on certain boats it can be run higher, their will be less drag than a similar 3L Sportsmaster that has to be run deeper. Also the gearcase geometry could be much better than the older case and thus run props with less slip numbers? These are all things at this point we don't know.

8. Member
    Eli it has the big diameter sportmaster from the 400r that see to like bigger diameter props per screamandfly

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Yes, annual new registrations. Less than 100 in a calendar season.
    Most of that 100 sold are Bullets, Bullet is busy as hell right now making Boats .

10. Member
    The Eyra gives a real edge on handling and feel while referring it as a “bridge boat” many times, ever since the first prototype popped up at the Bassmasters Classic. It bridges traditional bass Boats in handling, will run well with a 200 HP and has potential to share handling many pocket rocket anglers want in the feel. It performs well on rough water and turns extremely well. Run it empty it scoots enough... run it moderately loaded and it will outperform many rigs and surprise lots of folks. Run it heavy and it’s not much different in performance than other BCB models.

The hull is held back intentionally by some tweaks in the hull design that were in there from the get-go. They refer to it as a governor in the hull. The product might be able to eclipse numbers mentioned in the right conditions, though BCB is not interested in sharing data to express that.

The market is just too small to spend time and resources chasing what would in estimation be 7% to 12% of a sub 100 boat market. Why they don’t really care to focus on that is pretty simple.

The boat does what it was intended to do and has seen significant market share to support that.
    Keep thinking that!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley21SS View Post
    Keep thinking that!
    Your telling BCB that he is incorrect in his statement? Really?
    Have you driven an Eyra as to compare it to other brand boats? Do you have access to specific sales numbers of manufacturers as BCB does?
    I would guess that BCB sells more Eyra's annually than all Bullet sales together.

I personally like Bullets and Allisons. We have a few Bullets and one Ally in our clubs. None are newer models.
    I have not rode in the Ally, but have fished and ridden in Bullets.

On the OP's question. I am interested to see how the Eyra performs with the new V8 300. Acceleration should be impressive.
    Last edited by Cajunhunter67; 12-24-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

His comment, we feel, is to imply that we are missing a market. There is no doubt that niche we chose not to address overall, though we could not acquire 100% of it. We would be surprised at 15% with that competition.

Chasing 15-20 Boats building lighter weight modules is not of interest. We built a limited production Cougar HP model in the 2000 time frame and limited few were sold. It was lighter weight and improved performance though the performance market is siginificantly smaller now than it was then.

It requires narrower beams and bows, thinner vertical and narrower design on a hull to reduce air impact, narrower lower bottoms, less hardware for weight savings, and even more including lighter laminates, less fuel. (Yes that second tank weighs more even empty) Some of which is achieved through those smaller bodies on those boats. The Eyra was a targeted effort somewhere in between the core bass models we built and those desiring more performance in areas. We feel it hit our target and that is a moving target with motors changing today.

Right now Bullet is probably building more product than any time in the last decade. We are all building more than we have built in the last decade and our backorder list is extremely long. Our backorder list is as a smaller buildier has been difficult and we need the new production capacity now, we needed it in mid 2016 actually as we’ve never caught up since.

It doesnt ruffle us on opinion of anyone that we might be missing something in a market. We learned long ago we can’t be everything to everyone. We just try to cater to a market we built over the last 45 plus years. If we decided to ever chase the rabbit rest assured we can and we do know how.

Bass & Walleye had a piece, in one of their last issues, on an Allison. The boat was rigged with a Yamaha 250 SHO, no batteries, no trolling motor, less fuel and showing just over 86 MPH. The Eyra with a 250 SHO was extremely close to that speed rigged to go fishing with trolling motor and batteries, back when the SHO was new a few years ago.

You folks have a Merry Christmas!

BCB
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 12-24-2018 at 08:52 AM.

bbc is far from real world fast boats forums and current media,just sayin'...............I think bcb make the best selection of different hulls in the industry,and are very nice,well built platforms,most of their boats meet or exceed HP ratings for their length's,and most perform very well for their intended purposes. I own allison,but ,have always liked the cats,I get to see alot of the new ones too,as my buddy is a dealer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    BCB didn't infer that there weren't any pocket rockets available, just not much market for them.
    Most of the posts for speeds and set ups on bullets, Allisons and Strokers are 2005 or older. Very few new models posted. Yes, they sell new boats, but it kinda makes BCB's point.

14. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    What the number 1 selling bass boat?It won’t even think of hitting 80 loaded.Proves what the market wants ,Slow and steady

15. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    What the number 1 selling bass boat?It won’t even think of hitting 80 loaded.Proves what the market wants ,Slow and steady
    No. Thats not "THE MARKET" that's "A MARKET". And from what I'm seeing the Lynx is eating into that market pretty good. Probably would get into even more if they wanted to really ramp up production which they are working on.
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

17. Member
    It always amazes me when people question something that BCB states...or any boat manufacturer out there. As boat manufacturers for 40+ years I can assure you that they have forgotten more about boats and running them than most of us put together. On top of that BCB is the most humble group of people I have ever known and won't even state the full speed potential of their boats because they are trying to avoid stirring things up like a lot of other people on these forums. And if they ever posted true numbers it would more than likely embarrass a lot of people out there that claim their boat can run a "certain" number. The last paragraph in this post by BCB cracks me up because an Eyra fully rigged is only a couple of ticks behind a bare boned Allison. That's got to steam a lot of rear ends!�� Merry Christmas!

His comment, we feel, is to imply that we are missing a market. There is no doubt that niche we chose not to address overall, though we could not acquire 100% of it. We would be surprised at 15% with that competition.

It doesnt ruffle us on opinion of anyone that we might be missing something in a market. We learned long ago we can’t be everything to everyone. We just try to cater to a market we built over the last 45 plus years. If we decided to ever chase the rabbit rest assured we can and we do know how.

Bass & Walleye had a piece, in one of their last issues, on an Allison. The boat was rigged with a Yamaha 250 SHO, no batteries, no trolling motor, less fuel and showing just over 86 MPH. The Eyra with a 250 SHO was extremely close to that speed rigged to go fishing with trolling motor and batteries, back when the SHO was new a few years ago.

You folks have a Merry Christmas!

BCB

18. Member
    L
    Quote Originally Posted by Texlacat View Post
    It always amazes me when people question something that BCB states...or any boat manufacturer out there. As boat manufacturers for 40+ years I can assure you that they have forgotten more about boats and running them than most of us put together. On top of that BCB is the most humble group of people I have ever known and won't even state the full speed potential of their boats because they are trying to avoid stirring things up like a lot of other people on these forums. And if they ever posted true numbers it would more than likely embarrass a lot of people out there that claim their boat can run a "certain" number. The last paragraph in this post by BCB cracks me up because an Eyra fully rigged is only a couple of ticks behind a bare boned Allison. That's got to steam a lot of rear ends!�� Merry Christmas!
    What is your definition of a few ticks? Is an Eyra a 94/96 mph boat with a 250? Because that’s what a xb21/250 with the right setup will do

19. Banned
    I believe the Eyra is the best all around compromise between a lead sled and the pocket rockets, buy it with a new 200hp Pro XS and flash it with Simons 300hp tune for the best bang for buck reaching the limits of the torque master lower unit. If you want a little more speed for a little more money opt for the SHO with hydrotec tune, the only thing possibly faster would be doing it to a P2 though that would exceed it's hull rating so you'd be voiding the boat as well as outboard warranty. Merry Christmas to all!

20. Member
    L

What is your definition of a few ticks? Is an Eyra a 94/96 mph boat with a 250? Because that’s what a xb21/250 with the right setup will do
    Your 250 XB21 is not sporting a new Proxs 250 V8 4 stroke. Guaranty it. Its sporting model with a modified LU. The stock LU will keep you below 90 mph. The post made by BCB was with a stock Merc and LU.
    Your 21 foot Ally weighs near 400lbs less than the 20 foot Eyra. That weight is lost to gain speed, but loses in strength. You cant have them both. You wont bring that Ally in the stump fields that I troll my BCB thru.
    What's amazing is that your on a BCB forum questioning the company about its boats, its marketing strategy, its experience in boat engineering and their word.
    BCB has already modified a Jag hull back in the day and ran triple digits with it. I am sure they have the engineering ability to build a boat to run with your Ally. That is not their marketing intentions or strategy.
    The Eyra is a bridge boat...to run with a 200Hp-300hp. Its also in my opinion the sexiest bass boat on the market.
    I am on the Allison BBC forum often. I enjoy the input from Ally owners and their ability to drive and chase those numbers. Not impressed with a few of the Non-BCB owners on here.
    I do not get on your site an comment on the garbage trailers that Allison puts your 80k + dollar boat on. Its your love and passion for Allison boats that keep you in them regardless of any shortcomings. Same as Bullet owners that need to tighten their cap screws after a rough water outing. I will never have to do that on my BCB. Yet I'm not on the Bullet site pointing that out.
    Bass Cat owners are the same. We are passionate about our boats and believe its the best made rig to fit our needs.
    Last edited by Cajunhunter67; 12-26-2018 at 08:09 AM.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast