Honest feedback on new motor

OK guys I need some help, and I need some honest feedback on the new 250 4s pro xs over the old 2 cycle.. I have read several articles about how much torque and they have a better whole shot but are they any faster on top end and how much better fuel economy do they have over the old 2 cycle.... I have settled and decided on the 20 TRX patriot, and I’m really thinking I’m wanting the new 4s...But I have a really awesome opportunity on a brand new 2018 with the two cycle that is almost too hard to turn down.... so help me out please.

2. Member
    My honest opinion:

1. Runs smoother
    2. No 91 octane or oil
    3. More torque
    4. Fairly close on fuel economy
    5. Equally as fast as 2 stroke (top speed)
    6. Can you get a better deal on a 2 stroke? Yes (supply and demand )
    7. Will you wish you had bought the V-8? Yes
    8. Is it a better engine? Don’t know only time will tell.

3. Member
    Will of course need oil, just will not need to add oil to remote tank all the time. 91 octane not needed on either.

4. Scraps
    Plenty of 2-strokes around and will be but 4-stroke is the future. I know I won't have another XS.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Plenty of 2-strokes around and will be but 4-stroke is the future. I know I won't have another XS.
    Four strokes have been the present for a number of years now. For the vast majority anyway.

Rumor has it that even Evinrude is developing a four stroke outboard motor.

6. Member
    At about 40 hours on my 250 Pro XS I have nothing nothing but positive feelings about the new V8. Quiet, very smooth, very good low end, no oil tank to fill etc. In terms of performance the hole shot on my barge is significantly quicker than my previous Z521 with 250 Pro XS 2s. Fuel burn is about the same and top end is 3-4 mph faster than Z521L,s with the two stroke Merc. Maintenance looks to be very simple (The first oil change/lower unit change took 1/2 hour). The trim is quieter and the motor has noticeably less vibration especially at idle. With the wider RPM range and the Torquemaster !! you can run a shorter pitch prop so your idle speed through the water is lower.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

7. Member
    The only thing that would worry me at all is there are no parts of any kind available for the new motors if you happen to need something fixed under warranty. Don’t take my word for it just ask and search for information.
    Last edited by zeke4351; 10-06-2018 at 07:18 PM.

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I would also consider how long You keep your boats. Some buy and sell every few years, some keep a boat forever. I look at it like buying a new model of a truck. I bought the “new” 2004 body style F150 and the bugs were worked out by the 2006 models.

If the deal is THAT good it’s not like you’re settling on a bad motor...only one of the best ever made! It’s a known, proven performer. The new 4s Pro XS will get to that status but the repowers I’ve read it’s not a simple swap...Props, P2P, setback..they’re all different with this motor.

If you decide to stay stay with the good deal with the 2 stroke any answer you have will have been answered a thousand times. There is something to say for that. Good luck on your choice.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

9. Member
    I got to compare in the closest to an apples to apples comparison I could last week. My buddy has a 2018 Triton 20TRX with Pro XS 2 stroke and I just got my 2019 20TRX with the new 4 stroke. We are still dialing in both boats so I know there are going to be some variances. I've had a chance to drive both within the same week and here's my off the cuff reaction

1. Hole shot was similar between both boats with a slight edge to the 4 stroke
    2. My top end speed is better right now fully tourney loaded
    3. 4 stroke is much quieter, especially in the boat
    4. The mid range has much more punch on the 4 stroke
    5. The 4 stroke is much more responsive