Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Honest opinions on the new 250 4s pro xs

OK guys I need some help, and I need some honest feedback on the new 250 4s pro xs over the old 2 cycle.. I have read several articles about how much torque and they have a better whole shot but are they any faster on top end and how much better fuel economy do they have over the old 2 cycle.... I have settled and decided on the 20 TRX patriot, and I’m really thinking I’m wanting the new 4s...But I have a really awesome opportunity on a brand new 2018 with the two cycle that is almost too hard to turn down.... so help me out please.

2. Member
    Check out this section of the forums - you'll see a lot of threads on this motor and the same question you ask. I'd say probably different hull, might even find the same one..

http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=203
    2017 Triton TRX 179
    Mercury 115 Pro XS CT (Hyrdraulic Steering/Hot Foot and Trim on Steer)
    Minn-Kota Ultrex 80 w/I-Pilot Link
    Lowrance HDS9 Carbon Bow/Console with Structure Scan 3D (Thru Hull, Structure Scan xdcr, HDI on TM) and Point-1,
    Blue Water LED boat lighting

3. Member
    If it were me I would get the two stroke.

4. Member
    When I bought my 2018 19 Patriot I got it with the 225 pro XS. I love the 2 stroke and will run it as long as I can. I could care less about how much better the 4s is in holeshot. 2stroke is cheaper maintenance. If a 4s blows up out of warranty you better start working overtime. I’ve had nothing but awesome performance out of all my pro XS motors. If I had a choice to get a free four stroke or a free two-stroke I will still take a two stroke that’s just my opinion.

5. Member
    I just posted my numbers from my 20TRX with the new merc in this forum. I'm extremely pleased so far.

6. Member
    2018 19TRX Patriot 225 proxs 4 31 group batteries. 112 Ultrex two 8’ power poles. 45 gallons of gas. Two guys and full livewell with a full tourney load I’m getting right at 70 top end with an awesome holeshot. It’s a heavy load so I can’t complain about 70mph and a good holeshot. Also running a 24 fury. Also it sips gas.

7. Member
    [QUOTE=Bassburner;9716074]2018 19TRX Patriot 225 proxs 4 31 group batteries. 112 Ultrex two 8’ power poles. 45 gallons of gas. Two guys and full livewell with a full tourney load I’m getting right at 70 top end with an awesome holeshot. It’s a heavy load so I can’t complain about 70mph and a good holeshot. Also running a 24 fury. Also it sips
    never mind my answer was in your previous post

Quote Originally Posted by Bassburner View Post
    When I bought my 2018 19 Patriot I got it with the 225 pro XS. I love the 2 stroke and will run it as long as I can. I could care less about how much better the 4s is in holeshot. 2stroke is cheaper maintenance. If a 4s blows up out of warranty you better start working overtime. I’ve had nothing but awesome performance out of all my pro XS motors. If I had a choice to get a free four stroke or a free two-stroke I will still take a two stroke that’s just my opinion.
    How is 2-stroke maintenace cheaper? Yeah you need to change oil but your burning it in a 2-stroke. Otherwise it’s a wash. A both are expensive to replace. Given the overall cost of bass fishing at this price range, these costs are not at all high on the list.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    How is 2-stroke maintenace cheaper? Yeah you need to change oil but your burning it in a 2-stroke. Otherwise it’s a wash. A both are expensive to replace. Given the overall cost of bass fishing at this price range, these costs are not at all high on the list.
    Annual Maintenance is way cheaper on a 2 stroke. Blow it up and throw new power heads on it. Most 4 strokes are going to be around 700-800 each year. Blow a 4 stroke and it’s going to be a ton of money. Plus Mercury just came out with them and once guys start putting some hours on them we will see how the hold together. Just like when Yamaha came out with the SHO they had issues. Buddy bought one at at the end of the year it was like $800 for annual service. Everyone has their own opinions but I’ll stick with a 2 stroke as long as I can.

Lol
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Just put mine on. Hole shot is about the same maybe a tad better, mid-range is better, top end is the same. An engine turning 6200 RPMs is an engine turning 6200 whether it's a 2 or 4. I used about 2.5-3 gallons more fuel this weekend than my Optimax did on the same run. (Ran 20 gallons through it). Its definitely the best sounding outboard as well. I can't wait to get back out this weekend!

Meh...Not too impressive...

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    Meh...Not too impressive...
    Are you referring to the last post

14. Member
    I had a 250 Proxs on a 21TRX, and really likes the motor, but after driving a 21TRX with a 250 Merc Proxs with the new engine there is no comparison. The new engine has much better hole-shot, better mid-range, and just a tad faster, but gets over 70 quicker. My new Triton will have the new motor.

Quote Originally Posted by andyco View Post
    Are you referring to the last post
    I've scoured BBC and other forums for information and comparisons between the two motors...It's not impressive enough to make the change unless you already have plans to purchase a new boat and/or motor. It is also a first year model and changes are bound to be made. The 4 stroke should be better out of the hole and have better acceleration. The speed on top is generally about the same. However, I do really like the new 300R. That's a repower worth dropping some $$$ on in a year or so after they work any "bugs" out.

Really difficult decision for you to make...What is the $$$ difference between your 2 stroke deal versus buying a new boat with the 4 stroke?

Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    I've scoured BBC and other forums for information and comparisons between the two motors...It's not impressive enough to make the change unless you already have plans to purchase a new boat and/or motor. It is also a first year model and changes are bound to be made. The 4 stroke should be better out of the hole and have better acceleration. The speed on top is generally about the same. However, I do really like the new 300R. That's a repower worth dropping some $$$ on in a year or so after they work any "bugs" out.

Really difficult decision for you to make...What is the $$$ difference between your 2 stroke deal versus buying a new boat with the 4 stroke?
    I'm sure most people are not changing because they want to change, some are and those people can obviously do what they want but they are stretching the market from people who blow up their 250 and want a new/new technology motor. 250hp is 250hp this reminds me of people who try all the lines they can buy- rather then find one that works and master its specific pros and cons.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Annual Maintenance is way cheaper on a 2 stroke. Blow it up and throw new power heads on it. Most 4 strokes are going to be around 700-800 each year. Blow a 4 stroke and it’s going to be a ton of money. Plus Mercury just came out with them and once guys start putting some hours on them we will see how the hold together. Just like when Yamaha came out with the SHO they had issues. Buddy bought one at at the end of the year it was like $800 for annual service. Everyone has their own opinions but I’ll stick with a 2 stroke as long as I can.
    What are the extra cost items need for annual maintenance on a fourstroke? Can you net it out with the costs for each? Oil changes should only count what they cost beyond annual oil usage in a 2 stoke. With DFI oil going for over $40 a gallon in some areas that may favor the fourstroke even though I believe that if what you spend on oil has to be considered when you buy a bass boat then, in reality, you can't afford either.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

I'm one of those guys...I've tried the G2, SHO, Pro XS (2 stroke), and a Honda. 250 is 250 but there is a big difference between a Honda 250 and the rest. The G2 was the best performer of the group. I'd argue that the G2 (from a performance standpoint) is better than the new Mercury 4 stroke based on what I've been hearing.

19. Member
    Your buddy needs a new dealer. Yearly Maintenance on my SHO is $200 at the dealership. About $80-$100 DIY.

20. Member
    In my opinion I would steer away from the new 4 stroke right now. If you want a 4 then get a SHO. The reason I say this is like a truck or anything else, the new designs always have bugs that need to be worked out. I am sure in 3 or 4 years the Mercury 4 stroke Pro XS will be a great motor. However, I wouldn't want to be a guinea pig. One reason I am getting a SHO on the new boat that I am about to buy. Also, I have a 2 stroke Mercury Pro XS on my current boat and it's a great motor.
    2021 Bass Cat Eyra w/ 300 Mercury Pro XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast