Banned

V6/8 outboard increased length?

Does anyone know how much longer the new 4-strokes are over the old 2-strokes for those that have tight garage requirements? Obviously the V8 is taller than the V6, curious how much either is than the 2.5/3.0L 2-stroke V6?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    Does anyone know how much longer the new 4-strokes are over the old 2-strokes for those that have tight garage requirements? Obviously the V8 is taller than the V6, curious how much either is than the 2.5/3.0L 2-stroke V6?
    The new 4 stroke is roughly 5 inches longer from front to back compared to the Opti.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cintaskevin View Post
    The new 4 stroke is roughly 5 inches longer from front to back compared to the Opti.
    Thank you, I was estimating around 4" like the Yamaha's.

4. Member
    Howdy,

Not to hijack the thread, but how does the V8 length compare to the larger L6 Verado?

Take care,

Ruddiger

5. Member
    You'd think any length added would be on the power head side of the transom pivot point.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    You'd think any length added would be on the power head side of the transom pivot point.
    Yes, at least in terms of overall length.

Riddiger- it would be best to be comparing a specific engine (old) to a new engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    What about prop position? Does the madded length push the propback 5” as well? Or is the added length only up top? Just curious if jackplates need to be shortened to keep optimal lift?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Prop position depends on the gearcase that was on the engine being compared (as well as which model you are comparing it to). For a very specific comparison (needed for clearance reasons) I'll be glad to lookup and assist with precise figures.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    I have a 3 liter sportmaster 250 xs. The new sportmaster based on evaluations on performance sites seems to need to be run about 1-1.5” higher which would support it being 5” longer as typically every additional inch of setback requires another 1/4” of motor height

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I understand where you're headed with that, but setback is actually based on the leading edge of the gearcase (not the propeller). Yes, you do make a point- and there is a definite difference in the size and dimensions of the new Sportmaster (as compared to the old 3L model).

Entire gearcase is longer, taller, and larger.

I do not have an overview the two compared.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Yes, at least in terms of overall length.

Riddiger- it would be best to be comparing a specific engine (old) to a new engine.
    Howdy,

To be more specific, is the new, 2019 Verado 300 in the V8 platform longer than a 2016 L6 Verado 300?

Take care,

Ruddiger

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Which gearcase did the 300 Verado have, and which gearcase will the new Verado have?