Verado steering problem?

It has become much harder to steer recently. I checked the fluid and the 50 amp fuse and both were good. Well, today while driving the steering returned to normal. Any thoughts? It has been tough steering for days. It is a 2015 Verado Pro

SERIAL # 2B170676
    Last edited by bassfish1; 10-12-2018 at 09:55 AM.

2. Member
    I have seen these happen a couple times with low battery voltages. Usually after an extended time of fishing with electronics on and big motor not running. Motor starts but it’s hard to steer for 5-10 minutes into a long run then it starts to come back. Both times the guys bought new batteries and and it didn’t happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by 620Ranger View Post
    I have seen these happen a couple times with low battery voltages. Usually after an extended time of fishing with electronics on and big motor not running. Motor starts but it’s hard to steer for 5-10 minutes into a long run then it starts to come back. Both times the guys bought new batteries and and it didn’t happen again.
    Thank you - The battery (North Star) is not the problem. I will look into low voltage being the cause.

4. Member
    If you have an Isolator on your boat, do a diode check. Mine was bad and I kept getting low voltage alarms.
    2013 Lund 2010 Pro Guide, 150 Verado SN:2B024387
    2X Helix 12's Mega G2N's, Lvl. 2 Merc Monitor

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Also check the actual wiring and connectors for the steering pump. If it's not activating (or is not running at the correct speed), steering will require increased effort.

My guess is that the pump was not operating properly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Banned
    Did the steering get tough (pump not running) after a while on the water and then continued on this cycle for a few trips? If so, I’d say the pump’s circuit board overheated. The new pump (60 amp fuse) contains a redesigned circuit board that is supposed to resolve that issue. They redesigned it for the Joystick Piloting system as it put a lot of strain on the pumps and they overheated easily. We have yet to see one of the new pumps fail in 2 years.

Depending on your warranty period, your pump may still be covered. Requested the new 60 amp pump form your dealer if that’s the case.

Quote Originally Posted by davidwademarine View Post
    Did the steering get tough (pump not running) after a while on the water and then continued on this cycle for a few trips? If so, I’d say the pump’s circuit board overheated. The new pump (60 amp fuse) contains a redesigned circuit board that is supposed to resolve that issue. They redesigned it for the Joystick Piloting system as it put a lot of strain on the pumps and they overheated easily. We have yet to see one of the new pumps fail in 2 years.

Depending on your warranty period, your pump may still be covered. Requested the new 60 amp pump form your dealer if that’s the case.
    Thank you

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Also check the actual wiring and connectors for the steering pump. If it's not activating (or is not running at the correct speed), steering will require increased effort.

My guess is that the pump was not operating properly.
    Please do update your thread with the Serial Number.

Good info on the steering pump- it would be best to do some due-diligence by performing a few checks/tests (and check the connections) before jumping to a replacement pump, though.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Please do update your thread with the Serial Number.

Good info on the steering pump- it would be best to do some due-diligence by performing a few checks/tests (and check the connections) before jumping to a replacement pump, though.
    Updated - serial # 2B170676