Gel Coat Restorationhe

I have an 02 Ranger 185VS. The gel coat on the sides of the hull has some locations that are hazy and some locations lower toward the bottom of the hull are dull and hazy. The affected areas are those that were unprotected by the cover and the boat had been stored outside. You can even see where the straps were tied to the trailer and covered the sun from chalking the gel coat. Exacerbating the issue is those areas are black metallic. I have wet sanded with 1000 grit, then 1500, and finally 2000 and buffed with 3-M Perfect-it and also use Pro-Tech products but whatever I seem to do, after the process, over time and use, the dull locations come back.

Just wondering if I am just not sanding enough or perhaps I should use a more aggressive grit paper to begin with to remove the chalked top coat. All input appreciated.
    Last edited by David g; 10-05-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Hard to say with out pics or seeing the boat butttt....sounds like you’ve not gone deep enough but you don’t wanna keep sanding with the same grits also the 3M Perfect It is not best choice for the initial buff. It would be used for the final buff with a finishing pad. 3M Marine Compound and Finishing Material and/or ProTec Nu Paint Moisturizer and a cutting pad is best for the first buff.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com