250 4S pro xs and sc 1000 tach and speed question

2B575986
    Probley more of a gauge question than engine.
    I have 2 gas tanks... 1 starboard 1 port...but I only have Fuel 1 reading and it is reading off the port tank. I can not get it to read fuel 2 for the starboard tank. I have been through the screen options and I dont see where you can add or select yes for fuel 2. What could I be missing?

I did a master reset and no change.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Fuel-2 is not used on Fourstroke Product (75-> hp). That circuit is utilized for Water in Fuel.

There is a way to read two tanks- though you would need to manually select one or the other via a switch at the console.

Did your boat originally come with Smartcraft? Any analog fuel gauges present?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    It did come with SmartCraft...no analog gauges except water psi and jackplate.
    I know only a few boats like mine have been rigged with the new 4S so it could be something the manufacturer missed.

If I understand you correctly this would have to be accomplished with a switch at the dash.
    Would this switch toggle between tanks and then show the difference on the sc 1000 or would I need another gauge?

Or .... I do have both sc 1000 gauges speed and tach.
    Each gauge has a fuel reading...Could they be set up to read different tanks...say speed read the port and tach read the starboard?
    That would agree with location of each tank also.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Inputs would be on ONE gauge.

Make sure you don't have a fuel switch on your console... already rigged. If not- contact me directly (preferably by phone). Due to the sensitive nature of the circuitry this is something I would prefer not to post (at this time) lest somone make a very expensive error.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks Don for all your help much appreciated! No fuel switch
    Before I do anything myself I would definitely contact you.
    Since it only has 5 hours on it I will continue this with my dealer and give them a chance to get it worked out.

I have fixed multiple issues myself in years past with your guidance...thought I may could do this as a gauge setting..not a big deal. If I do anything else myself I will surely contact you Thanks again!

6. Banned
    https://samerwebapp01apncus01.blob.c.../8m0147197.pdf

See page 19 of the owner’s manual above. Get to the Calibration screen and set Tank2 input to fuel and then set the tank size. This is assuming the Tank2 (blue with black stripe) wire is hooked to the fuel level sensor for your other tank.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It's actually not been published in the install manual, Options Overview, etc. I have confirmed that David is right here- on the V6/V8 product, both tank inputs can be utilized as listed below:

Tank-1: Pink w/Black Stripe
    Tank-2: Blue w/Black Stripe.

Essentially this engine series did, as David indicates, revert back to the previous rigging (and utilizes a separate two-wire circuit for Water in Fuel, whether using the engine mounted filter, OR a remote/boat mounted filter).

Good catch- and good to know!

8. Member
    Thanks guys I appreciate it. Great support for a product yall believe in!