Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any tiller guys here ?

Has anybody ever made the switch from a bass boat to a multi species tiller rig? Thoughts?

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

2. Member
    Yes sir I did it 3 years ago. I went from a Ranger 520 to a Lund pro guide. I am very happy I made the move.
    RH

Massage sent Sir

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

4. Member

Cool

Deleted ...
    Last edited by T-Mac; 10-05-2018 at 11:52 AM.

5. Member
    I have had a lot of fishing boats. Boats up to 22 ' ...
    Right now I have 2 Lunds. One is a 20' / full windshield and the other is a 1625 Tiller . I tend to use the tiller more. It's seems to be a fish magnet. ;)
    Seriously, I don't miss the speed,.

6. Member
    I used to have nothing but bass boats, but as I grew older I have been buying tiller boats. The lakes that I fish around my house are all pretty small, so I have a 14 1/2 foot Alumacraft with a 30 hp ETec tiller engine. At my age I can launch, move it around my garage easily, plus it is very open for fishing. I refer to it as my senior fishing boat. The only downside to the aluminum boat is fishing in the wind.

If a person is younger, a larger tiller boat is much more versatile than a wheel boat. Room, handling, more fuel efficient.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I have a 14’ Mirrocraft of unknown age with a 65” bean. It is rated for 35 hp�� but I have a 9.9 Merc on it.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

1648 mod Vee Polarkraft. I use it on my home 600 acre lake, it's been on Lake Michigan bays, to Canada, Kentucky and more. It's a great little boat
    Attached Images Attached Images

I went from jon boat to a progression up to 20’ glass bass. Did not do the drop all the way down, but a progression also. Right now a 17.5’ aluminum bass boat that I refreshed. While it was in dry dock so to speak. I had use of a 19’ basscat and a 1650 aluminum tiller. I fell in love with the tillers all over again. As mentioned, wide open room. And so much more control. Especially if you’re running winding tight rivers. So I planning a 1754 tunnel prop build next year. Done right and you can have all the amenities of a glass boat. With storage, rod lockers, livewell. I pretty certain it will be my last boat.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post

1648 mod Vee Polarkraft. I use it on my home 600 acre lake, it's been on Lake Michigan bays, to Canada, Kentucky and more. It's a great little boat
    Really like this one

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

If I lived where you are. This is the boat I’d have. 175 Alumacraft competitor
    Attached Images Attached Images

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

12. Member
    I've had one console and a handful of tillers over the years. There's something about em. Old school maybe, and multi purpose.

13. Member
    I want from a 20' skeeter to an 18' aluminum with 50hp tiller. Super happy with it. I do miss the ride and comfort of the glass boat, but love fishing the shallows in my little rig. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and have seriously considered getting a multi species tiller rig like a lund 17' lund with 75 tiller. Figured it would be awesome for almost everything, just wasn't sure what I thought about using it for 80% bass fishing.

Thank you
    Last edited by Walleye1875; 10-17-2018 at 03:00 PM.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

15. Member
    BluBird,kidlurch and bassin08 , question for you all .Would a smaller wheel boat like an rt178 not accomplish the same ? I ask because I'm considering an 1860 tiller. At present I have a g3 19' CC and think I would enjoy a tiller boat but the storage available in a"bass boat" is so attractive. My wife and I normally fish smaller lakes , I can move some of my electronics . thanks for bringing up the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by lukethedog View Post
    BluBird,kidlurch and bassin08 , question for you all .Would a smaller wheel boat like an rt178 not accomplish the same ? I ask because I'm considering an 1860 tiller. At present I have a g3 19' CC and think I would enjoy a tiller boat but the storage available in a"bass boat" is so attractive. My wife and I normally fish smaller lakes , I can move some of my electronics . thanks for bringing up the topic.
    A console boat would take away from the kind of fishing I want to accomplish. Looking forward to having the back office where livewell, bait, electronics and boat control are all at my finger tips. Some of the Lunds have very impressive storage and layout.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

Quote Originally Posted by lukethedog View Post
    No it wouldn’t in my opinion. You see the reason for the tiller is use of the whole boat. Think of it like this. Console style means the back of the boat is basically useless. If you fish alone, you really only use from your seat forward to the bow. And then your limited to the raised deck. This why tiller boats are thought of mostly a Multi species boat. It great for trolling with live bait, are lures on planners. Not to mention all the extra room for three are four people. There are plenty of multi species boat with consoles to. But that others opinion lol not mine. Open tillers are not pigeon holed to just one style of fishing. But can be also built pacifically for a area of fishing. From shallow jets boat to really big water deep V’s.

It just come down down to one thing ( Room ), in the boat that is useable. At least that’s my take on it.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

18. Member
    I have fished them both, if i ran lines, crappie fished with yo yos i would stay with the tiller. The only thing you loose in my eyes is the ease of boat postioning. I have had all the goddies on my tiller boats, 2 graphs, hydro jackplates, aftermarket big tillers, interior lights, the whole deal. A smaller boats is easier to get around, garage, launching, etc. single axel trailer is a lot easier to get around. I would consider the waters you wanna fiah and go from there, i really need 3-4 boats. LOL. A glass boat, a aluminum mud boat, a tiller boat, and a yak.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkt1 View Post
    I have fished them both, if i ran lines, crappie fished with yo yos i would stay with the tiller. The only thing you loose in my eyes is the ease of boat postioning. I have had all the goddies on my tiller boats, 2 graphs, hydro jackplates, aftermarket big tillers, interior lights, the whole deal. A smaller boats is easier to get around, garage, launching, etc. single axel trailer is a lot easier to get around. I would consider the waters you wanna fiah and go from there, i really need 3-4 boats. LOL. A glass boat, a aluminum mud boat, a tiller boat, and a yak.

In in your opinion what is the ideal size tiller boat?

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BluBird920 View Post
    In in your opinion what is the ideal size tiller boat?

It really depends on the size water you fish, i have fished from a 10/32- 20 ft. They all searve a diff purpose

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast