Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    The 1860 model has the most to offer I think. Gives me rod storage down the gunnels, front deck can be extended with storage, Fishon Fabrications, just did a storage box for my G3 . Thinking 40 HP Evinrude

2. Member
    double

3. Member
    My boat now is a 1860, console. Only thing with that big of a boat with a 40-50 on it you sre gunna go about 30 mph. It will take a good while if you are goin on long runs. We customize ours, we buy a plain boat and weld it like we like. Still meets coast guard regs. Livewells, extended decks. Etc

4. Member
    I have a 14 1/2 foot Alumacraft with a 30hp ETec tiller. All of the lakes that I fish are under 500 acres. I have a 55# trolling motor on the bow, a Hook 5 graph in the back. I can fish docks and shoreline cover from the bow, plus I can troll from the rear. I have a nice sized raise deck in the front. There is plenty of storage and room to move around in the boat. I’m old, it’s small and easy to handle for me.

If you fish bigger water, the Lund Guides are very nice. You will need at least a 75hp tiller for a 1675 Pro Guide.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidlurch View Post
    Yes sir I did it 3 years ago. I went from a Ranger 520 to a Lund pro guide. I am very happy I made the move.
    which pro guide did you go with? I'm getting a 2016 1775 pro guide with 90big tiller, ulterra trolling motor, all vinyl, helix 12 on console and helix 9 up front. all roller trailer with brakes. 35 hrs on motor. for 20k. does that sound reasonable? how do you like yours? I do a lot of bass and crappie fishing. I love how much room there is.
    Last edited by Mike Carroll; 10-12-2018 at 06:36 PM.

6. Member
    stick steering makes a small rig lot easier. No walking from stern to bow. Sit up front, lower TM, & fish. All it takes is a stick steering kit and remote shifter/throttle..a little bit more money but a lot more convenient.
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichW View Post
    stick steering makes a small rig lot easier. No walking from stern to bow. Sit up front, lower TM, & fish. All it takes is a stick steering kit and remote shifter/throttle..a little bit more money but a lot more convenient.
    this is my current boat, getting my lund in marchphoto.jpgphoto-3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mike carroll View Post
    this is my current boat, getting my lund in march
    Well this one isn’t just a duck boat. Double duty I’d say. Hope you haven’t wintized it yet. Iam waiting till Thanksgiving, hopefully lol.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by mike carroll View Post
    this is my current boat, getting my lund in march
    Mehta model Lund are ya going with?

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

10. T Dub
    Just got this Xpress tiller rig and loving it so far

IMG_20181008_160435626-972x1296.jpg

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    Well this one isn’t just a duck boat. Double duty I’d say. Hope you haven’t wintized it yet. Iam waiting till Thanksgiving, hopefully lol.
    won't take it out of the water till just before December . love the boat it's an 04 odyssey.

12. Member
    going with a 2016 1775 pro guide

13. Member
    Mike...You are getting a good deal on that 1775 Guide. They are really nice and will handle some really rough water. Lots of room, plus a great fishing platform. Congrats!

14. Member
    From 1976 to present:

Appelby 14 ft Merc 9.9 tiller

Lowe 1542 ft Johnson 25 tiller

PolarKraft 1652 35 Johnson tiller

Alweld 1752 Mariner 30 tiller then Yamaha 40 tiller

then a couple of glass boats

Now boatless but planning on buying an Xpress HD17 in the spring with 30 or 40 tiller. At 71, this will be my last boat. Will put one of those auto puter outer and taker inner trolling motors with spot lock and do a lot of fishing from the back of the boat/

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    No it wouldn’t in my opinion. You see the reason for the tiller is use of the whole boat. Think of it like this. Console style means the back of the boat is basically useless. If you fish alone, you really only use from your seat forward to the bow. And then your limited to the raised deck. This why tiller boats are thought of mostly a Multi species boat. It great for trolling with live bait, are lures on planners. Not to mention all the extra room for three are four people. There are plenty of multi species boat with consoles to. But that others opinion lol not mine. Open tillers are not pigeon holed to just one style of fishing. But can be also built pacifically for a area of fishing. From shallow jets boat to really big water deep V’s.

It just come down down to one thing ( Room ), in the boat that is useable. At least that’s my take on it.
    Dang! I have been doing it all wrong! And using the wrong type of boat to boot! I have a side console with a 40 and 7.5 on the back with a Terrova on the front. I still fish, troll, drift, cast with it and seldom use the front deck other than for my tacklebox’s, if I am by myself, which I am the majority of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerPro16 View Post
    Dang! I have been doing it all wrong! And using the wrong type of boat to boot! I have a side console with a 40 and 7.5 on the back with a Terrova on the front. I still fish, troll, drift, cast with it and seldom use the front deck other than for my tacklebox’s, if I am by myself, which I am the majority of the time.
    I guess you are! Or are you just totally mixed up on what you should be doing and when, in a particular section of the boat.

But really we all see things different don’t we. For me Iam going back to two boats. Because one style of boat just doesn’t do it for me. Happy Fishing

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by BluBird920 View Post
    In in your opinion what is the ideal size tiller boat?
    Size of the boat comes down to personal needs. But a huge factor is the HP limit on rigs under 20'. 18+ foot tillers are incredible fishing platforms - but being limited to 90hp can absolutely kill the performance of them if you run 3+ people, full gear, etc. Jumping up to a 20' tiller in order to get a 115-200 hp motor defeats the purpose of having a smaller, lighter (towing too), more maneuverable rig, IMO.

If they'd up the HP rating on the 18' class (using a hydraulic tiller system), I'd seriously consider going back to a tiller boat (like a Crestliner 1850 Pro Tiller, Lund 1875 Pro Guide, or Alumacraft Competitor 185).

Thanks. Pretty much made up my mind on the Lund. For what I want it should be perfect.
    Last edited by Walleye1875; 10-17-2018 at 03:01 PM.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

Quote Originally Posted by BluBird920 View Post
    For what I want it should be perfect.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

20. Member
    Sweet!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast