Adding snaps to Spooks

Thinking of using a snap on my spooks. I have been using split rings or a loop knot. I actually have a few snaps a friend gave me. They are the VMC snaps. I like them so far. I was just wondering what size I need. I have no idea what size these are. Thanks

2. Member
    I use cross lock snaps, size 1 or 2. Tying direct or using a lop knot WILL FAIL over time as each jerk is causing the line to rub/slide across the eye. If lucky, you just throw the bait off and retrieve it, unlucky you lose it to a fish. Snap eliminated this.

3. Member
    Regular Spook thrower and rarely do I use a snap of any kind,the only time being if I’m going to be changing baits a lot.
    Red Sox in 6!

4. Banned
    I had two quality snaps break on fish this year. One big one and the other a couple pounds. Never happened before. Put Hyperwire split rings back on everything

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    I had two quality snaps break on fish this year. One big one and the other a couple pounds. Never happened before. Put Hyperwire split rings back on everything
    What size split ring for the Super Spook?

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’d really like to find a snap to use on my topwater, squarebill and jerk bait rods but I haven’t found one I trust and two...I can’t decide if I would snap it to the o ring or remove the o rings and use the snap in its place.

I would think you’d want to remove the o ring, especially on a spook or jerkbait where the side to side action can catch your line??
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

7. Member
    i use snaps on spooks --never have removed o ring ---no issues walks fine for me
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

8. Member
    What size snaps or split rings are y’all using?

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I’d really like to find a snap to use on my topwater, squarebill and jerk bait rods but I haven’t found one I trust and two...I can’t decide if I would snap it to the o ring or remove the o rings and use the snap in its place.

I would think you’d want to remove the o ring, especially on a spook or jerkbait where the side to side action can catch your line??
    I'll put the snap through the eye and leave the split ring dangling. I do the same with deep diving cranks. I'll use the snaps until I find a color they like...so far, I'm still looking for that color.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmt870 View Post
    What size snaps or split rings are y’all using?
    #3. Round and oval

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    That’s what I was thinking about doin SoonerFan...I think my jerkbaits and spook style topwater would catch the front hook on my line more often attached to the o ring. Damn braid!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Member
    fastach snaps, the bait shop ordered the ones with a swivel so i took some bolt cutters and cut of the swivels,no opening and closing involved, take it from an old musky hunter, snaps are the weakest link that's why Joe Bucher uses these on all his lures, they wire goes around itself and never opens up, give them a look, i use the smallest size , 20 lb test, haven't caught a 20 lb so i'm not worried lol

13. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thanks, will definitely look at those! I was thinking of this this morning when I was trying to figure out what color squarebill they wanted...ended up being yellow, chartreuse, and orange...strange but it got bit 4 times. Actually felt stupid tying it on but they wouldn’t hit a topwater so I tried the loudest thing I had just under the surface and it worked.

I usually just use a split ring, but the snaps work too. The second smallest size is what I've used just for a little extra insurance over the smallest size. They hold well as long as you're careful not to deform them when putting them on. If you twist one up a little bit, get rid of it. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

For those having issues getting it caught on their braid, you could try pulling a page out of Brent Ehrler's handbook and tying on a short heavy mono (not fluoro, it sinks of course) leader in front of it. The mono is stiffer than the braid and doesn't get caught up in the hooks. 16-20 lb works well! Helps with line visibility as well if that's something you're concerned with.

The other thing I've done on Spooks, especially this time of year where the weeds are dying back and fish will often just slap at it, is to add a second split ring on the back hook. Gets it hanging down into the water a little more and can increase hookup percentages!

If you're worried about breaking split rings and snaps, check out HitenaUSA.com. They've got some crazy strong terminal tackle - their smallest stuff is stronger than a lot of the bigger sizes in other brands. The only thing I've found that comes close are the Owner Hyperwire, and these are still stronger. Edit note: For some sizing reference on split rings, their #40 (rated at 70 lbs on the stainless alloy model and 40 lbs on their stainless model) is in between a size 2 and 3 split ring from other brands. Their snaps are about one size smaller than VMC, so Hitena's #00 is the same size as VMC's #0 as an example.
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 10-12-2018 at 03:14 PM. Reason: sizing info
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

15. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    You are a wealth of info Drew!