Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lamoon78 View Post
    It’s against the law period because they are not a USCG approved light doesn’t matter if you know somebody or not.
    It sure about blue water led, but the others shown are CCA!!! They are also smaller and out of the way.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    It sure about blue water led, but the others shown are CCA!!! They are also smaller and out of the way.
    Not the LED strips none of those are CG approved we ain’t talking about LED fixtures like Basscat and Ranger and Skeeter are using only the LED strips are illegal.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

Not the LED strips none of those are CG approved we ain’t talking about LED fixtures like Basscat and Ranger and Skeeter are using only the LED strips are illegal.
    Perhaps in Texas, but this is not necessarily the case in other states. For instance, in Missouri, the lights must meet coast guard specifications which means, as noted previously in the post, separate or combined red and green sidelights covering 112.5 degrees and visible for 1 nautical mile. Many led light installations meet these requirements, and thus are legal. Missouri law does not specify you must purchase specific lights from specific manufactures which have been given the Coast Guard's Blessings (although, I can not speak for Texas, it may be this way there because of the coastal waters). It is, however, inaccurate to simply say all led strip lights are illegal for navigation everywhere, as this simply is not so. Having been a police officer for nearly two decades though, I will say its odd to see people making such a zealous argument that something is illegal, I'm use to these arguments being the other way around!
    Last edited by Bassnailer; 10-19-2018 at 10:10 PM.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    Perhaps in Texas, but this is not necessarily the case in other states. For instance, in Missouri, the lights must meet coast guard specifications which means, as noted previously in the post, separate or combined red and green sidelights covering 112.5 degrees and visible for 1 nautical mile. Many led light installations meet these requirements, and thus are legal. Missouri law does not specify you must purchase specific lights from specific manufactures which have been given the Coast Guard's Blessings (although, I can not speak for Texas, it may be this way there because of the coastal waters). It is, however, inaccurate to simply say all led strip lights are illegal for navigation everywhere, as this simply is not so. Having been a police officer for nearly two decades though, I will say its odd to see people making such a zealous argument that something is illegal, I'm use to these arguments being the other way around!
    I hate to tell you but they do not they might the distance to be seen that’s it. They do not meet the arc range of visibility period that is why they are not USCG approved and that’s every state in the US not just certain states local authorities are not aware of how these laws work. If you don’t believe me you better hope you never have a collision with another boat at night and kill somebody at that point you and anyone else that thinks these are legal will find out the hard way.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

5. Member
    You see the rule states 112.5 degrees these light go beyond that. If you know anything about the lights and why they are there and how they are supposed to be used then you might understand why they are illegal.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

6. Member
    There is no specification on brand or type but what your missing is lights that are USCG approved meet the requirements for the light if they are not approved then they do not meet the requirements which make them illegal. No matter what state you live in the USCG governs all waters in the US. I know a little about the laws being I’m a US Merchant Mariner and hold a Masters License.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

There is no specification on brand or type but what your missing is lights that are USCG approved meet the requirements for the light if they are not approved then they do not meet the requirements which make them illegal. No matter what state you live in the USCG governs all waters in the US. I know a little about the laws being I’m a US Merchant Mariner and hold a Masters License.
    I'm not trying to get into a credential measuring contest with you sir, but I would like boaters to have the correct information. For this reason, I would urge anyone who is unsure if anything about their watercraft may not be legal, to contact your local water patrol office. In Missouri, the Water Patrol will inspect your craft, including the navigation lights if you intend to operate your boat after sunset or before sunrise, and place a sticker on your boat which designates it as legal. There is no penalty if something is not up to snuff, they will just let you know what it is, so you can get it fixed. This way, you know that your boat and your navigation light installation are legal and meet coast guard requirements. There is no way for either me, nor lamoon78 to definitively declare your boat legal or not on a online forum.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

8. Banned
    I'm not trying to get into a credential measuring contest with you sir, but I would like boaters to have the correct information. For this reason, I would urge anyone who is unsure if anything about their watercraft may not be legal, to contact your local water patrol office. In Missouri, the Water Patrol will inspect your craft, including the navigation lights if you intend to operate your boat after sunset or before sunrise, and place a sticker on your boat which designates it as legal. There is no penalty if something is not up to snuff, they will just let you know what it is, so you can get it fixed. This way, you know that your boat and your navigation light installation are legal and meet coast guard requirements. There is no way for either me, nor lamoon78 to definitively declare your boat legal or not on a online forum.

But you understand that we are only referring to the stick on ribbon lights (like the blue waters), right? We aren’t talking about the factory made lights that the manufacturers are putting on.

Skeeters come with built in lights now. They must be USCG since they are all built in Kilgore.

I put the Bluewater LED strips in the rub rail of my previous boat. They yellowed up and looked really bad so I bought a new rub rail insert and went back to regular lights.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 10-21-2018 at 04:32 PM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coachallen View Post
    it will work but the will also be very bright when fisshing on the front deck at night.
    Nav lights should not be on when you are not underway. That's why you have a separate switch for the ANCHOR light.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

Quote Originally Posted by NY29T View Post
    Has anyone just stuck the blue water lights onto the top cap above the rub rail? I don’t want to cut out the rub rail. Since it’s bran new and figure I can use the 3m tape and drill a small hole for the power. Not sure the 3m tape is strong enough.

Thanks for any insight guys
    I’ve had BlueWater LEDs on the fence of my pontoon (aluminum) for 3 years now. If you prep the surface properly the 3M tape will stay on just fine. I used the smaller profile 10” 15 LED strips (LEDBW-114-A-DP). They’re only about a 1/2” high. Very small profile, and super bright. Both ends are finished for surface mounting, and if I recall correctly the wiring hole can be concealed.
    Very neat installation. You can also order longer or shorter lengths.
    https://thmarinesupplies.com/collect...ed-light-strip
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    Nav lights should not be on when you are not underway. That's why you have a separate switch for the ANCHOR light.
    If you are fishing and using your trolling motor you are considered underway and you must have all your nav lights on. If you are anchored to a tree than it's different. The reasonn is so that another boat can see which way you are going.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coachallen View Post
    If you are fishing and using your trolling motor you are considered underway and you must have all your nav lights on. If you are anchored to a tree than it's different. The reasonn is so that another boat can see which way you are going.
    We must fish differently. If I'm night fishing with the TM on, it's on 3 or 4 and I'm bumping it on and off. That isn't underway.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

14. Member
    I have not removed my bow light in 10 years. Did not know this was such an issue.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    We must fish differently. If I'm night fishing with the TM on, it's on 3 or 4 and I'm bumping it on and off. That isn't underway.
    If you're drift fishing, you're underway, same as using your TM. When you get caught by the game warden, don't come on here whining about the expensive ticket you just got.

Bill

16. Banned
    I have a good friend who likes to fish at night like I do. He doesn't run his lights at all unless another boat gets too close to him, then he will "blink" them off. His luck finally ran out and he "blinked" off TWRA while on night patrol and it cost him $147.50 plus court costs because he decided to fight it instead of just paying the fine.

Two years later, still no lights. Some never learn.

Bill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123