Thread: Todays prayer

Todays prayer

Lord, I believe.... help Thou my unbelief. . . Finish in me Your new creation. Bring to completion what You have begun in me. . . this is my prayer and for this I work as best I am able, a willing spirit created within me to perhaps cooperate with the Spirit but at least not to stand in His way. . .

Couldn't help but share that from my pastors blog today.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

2. Member
    King David wrote this (under the inspiration of the H.S.) after he was confronted about murdering Uriah and committing adultery with Uriah's wife Bathsheba:

Have mercy on me, O God,
    according to your unfailing love;
    according to your great compassion
    blot out my transgressions.
    2 Wash away all my iniquity
    and cleanse me from my sin.
    3 For I know my transgressions,
    and my sin is always before me.
    4 Against you, you only, have I sinned
    and done what is evil in your sight;
    5 Surely I was sinful at birth,
    sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
    wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
    and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
    11 Do not cast me from your presence
    or take your Holy Spirit from me.
    12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation
    and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

15 Open my lips, Lord,
    and my mouth will declare your praise.
    16 You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
    you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
    17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
    a broken and contrite heart
    you, God, will not despise.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 10-08-2018 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by msethsmile View Post
    King David wrote this (under the inspiration of the H.S.) after he was confronted about murdering Uriah and committing adultery with Uriah's wife Bathsheba:

Have mercy on me, O God,
    according to your unfailing love;
    according to your great compassion
    blot out my transgressions.
    2 Wash away all my iniquity
    and cleanse me from my sin.
    3 For I know my transgressions,
    and my sin is always before me.
    4 Against you, you only, have I sinned
    and done what is evil in your sight;
    5 Surely I was sinful at birth,
    sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
    wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
    and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
    11 Do not cast me from your presence
    or take your Holy Spirit from me.
    12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation
    and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

15 Open my lips, Lord,
    and my mouth will declare your praise.
    16 You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
    you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
    17 My sacrifice, O God, is[b] a broken spirit;
    a broken and contrite heart
    you, God, will not despise.
    I have learned there are no coincidences in this life

https://odb.org/2018/10/05/better-than-ever/
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    I have learned there are no coincidences in this life

https://odb.org/2018/10/05/better-than-ever/
    Let me add an AMEN to that. When people tell me I'm "lucky," I reply that there is no such thing as luck. I'm blessed. I've come to understand that everything happens because God either wants it to happen, or allows it to happen. Something as small as catching a light red or green is His decision, and for His purpose. (And it makes it a lot easier to sit through that red light sometimes.)

5. Member
    "God wastes nothing." The offspring of that illicit relationship was Solomon and 900 years later, Christ. David and Bathsheba's first son died shortly after birth as punishment for their sins. Solomon's name is a cousin/derivative of "Shalom" or peace. He ushered in an era of peace--Israel's rest from war with its neighbors. (Unlike David who was constantly at war, even with his own government).

Oh yes, Solomon's name has a double meaning. The ultimate peace would come from Solomon in the form of Christ. Forgiveness of sins thru Christ (Psalm 51) is a beautiful thing. The war between God and man is over*. God has reconciled man to Himself. He has and will "blot out my transgressions." (v.1)

*yes, there are still skirmishes--but the war has been decided. God wins. Christians win. We rest in heaven.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 10-06-2018 at 09:56 AM.

6. Member
    "God wastes nothing." The nation and tribe of Judah eventually forgot about God. They deserved destruction as had the northern 10 tribes of Israel/Ephraim 150 years earlier. In His mercy, God chastised Judah while not destroying them. They were held in captivity in Babylon for 70 years, preserved and allowed to come back and rebuild Jerusalem and the Temple. Those older ones that returned cried at the rebuilding of the Temple. Cried for joy because they had their Temple back and cried for sorrow because they had seen in their youth Solomon's Temple (no comparison). Judah was the only tribe to remain intact--the tribe that would birth the Christ, "The Lion of Judah".(Gen 49:9)

A seminary professor was asked about defending Scripture and defending the Christian faith. He responded, "I don't defend, I just release the Lion." (The Lion of Judah) Free forgiveness is a powerful tool and unique to Christianity. God is faithful. His prophecies ("The scepter will never depart from Judah" Gen 49:10) are a done deal--including His promises to us. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow." Is 1:18
    Last edited by msethsmile; 10-06-2018 at 10:02 AM.

7. Member
    "God wastes nothing." Part 3. Of coarse, we're better than Judah and David--right? We should all look in the mirror--daily. There's the vile. One of the most vile people in Scripture was the thief on the cross. He admitted he deserved what he got. Here's a verse from "There is a Fountain Filled with Blood." (based on Zech 13:1):

The dying thief rejoiced to see
    That fountain in his day;
    And there go I, as vile as he,
    Washed all my sins away.

How vile? What you don't hear from many pulpits--we deserve to be in hell right now. Just like David, Judah, and the thief. God, in His mercy, has not let us waste away but "I will cleanse you from all your impurities...I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh." (Ezk 36:26)

God makes us better? Yes, if by better you mean perfect (In God's eyes--the ones that count). We inherit Christ's perfection. We inherit heaven.

8. Member
    Our only righteousness is the imputed righteousness of Jesus when we accept his gift of salvation by grace through faith.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Our only righteousness is the imputed righteousness of Jesus when we accept his gift of salvation by grace through faith.
    Holeshot, exactly...………………...so many Christians like to be in bondage and many unlearned Christians try to keep people under some type of "law" (we love to be enslaved because we came from our mothers womb that way) . But once Christ blood has been applied to those who believe , there is nothing else to add. "imputed" is a great word...……………………….and vastly misunderstood.

10. Member
    I might add, that peoples view of "Eschatology" proper has them caught up in a catch 22, they just dont understand why.

11. Member
    Often christians quote from the " Torah" to keep people under some form of "Torah" so they can have some authority over them (im more righteous than you, therefore …………...God accepts me and He doesn't you) . There is only one who is good, that is Christ Jesus. Torah and "New Covanent " are two totally different concepts yet masterfully planned from the beginning by God. You can see the division in the New Testament amongst believers if you read closely once the New Covenant was inaugrated by Jesus himself .
    Last edited by godsdozer; 10-10-2018 at 10:14 PM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msethsmile View Post
    "God wastes nothing." The offspring of that illicit relationship was Solomon and 900 years later, Christ. David and Bathsheba's first son died shortly after birth as punishment for their sins. Solomon's name is a cousin/derivative of "Shalom" or peace. He ushered in an era of peace--Israel's rest from war with its neighbors. (Unlike David who was constantly at war, even with his own government).

Oh yes, Solomon's name has a double meaning. The ultimate peace would come from Solomon in the form of Christ. Forgiveness of sins thru Christ (Psalm 51) is a beautiful thing. The war between God and man is over*. God has reconciled man to Himself. He has and will "blot out my transgressions." (v.1)

*yes, there are still skirmishes--but the war has been decided. God wins. Christians win. We rest in heaven.
    Hello Ms, that is a interesting statement. May ask a couple of questions ? God has reconciled man to Himself. He has and will "blot our my transgressions"(v.1)

#1 "man" is that male and female ? or just male ?
    #2 If God has (past tense) reconciled "man"...…………..that is past tense, correct ?
    #3 If God has "reconciled "man" (male or female)……………………..then you are a universalist ?
    #4 He will blot our transgression …………………….I thought he "has" (past tense) ?

thanks

13. Member
    Ms, you said, "The war between God and man is over"

If the war is actually over (past tense) ...………………..are you a universalist ? The same people in the Old Testament and today are saved by Faith, correct ? what war is over then if God has not reconciled all men unto himself ?

14. Member
    Ms, I noticed in your post...………………….you stopped quoting psalms 51. I wil finish it

May it please you to prosper Zion,
    to build up the walls of Jerusalem.
    19 Then you will delight in the sacrifices of the righteous,
    in burnt offerings offered whole;
    then bulls will be offered on your altar.

Care to interpret Davids whole psalm ?

Are we still offering up burnt offerings offered whole ?

This brings me back to my original post...…………………………………...quoting Torah to keep some under bondage.
    Last edited by godsdozer; 10-10-2018 at 11:43 PM.