Question 2003 Mercury 150XR6 Tach

Looking for some help. I installed a new 7K tach and made sure the setting was set to 6P. I get power to the Tach, I've followed the grey wire back to the rectifier/regulator. everything seems fine there. I have 2 rectifier/regulators, I've tried the grey wire from the Tach in both, still the same result.
    So out on the water, getting on plane and pad, the Tach pegs past 7K, idle in the water it reads 1200rpm, should be 600-800 rpm. Am I missing something?

Do I need a new rectifier? The battery charges fine, I've checked that and get up to 14.5V with the motor on.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this tach to read correctly.

Thanks

I will try to get pictures tonight

2. Member
    Are there any dials on the back of the tack? These usually are set to the size of the motor
    Last edited by Coxwain; 10-04-2018 at 08:46 AM.
    Current: 1998 Ranger R91 Sport, 2003 Mercury 200HP EFI 2.5l, OT749297
    Smartcraft motor- analogue gauges
    NMEA2000 backbone for Motorguide Xi5 and Lowrance Elite Ti 9" connected to run trolling motor
    Separate Garmin 942xs 9", run off of trolling motor transducer, not NMEA2000 connected yet.

1st Boat: 1984
    Ranger 350v Raspberry, 1987 Mariner Magnum 150HP 6cyl

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements and be sure to provide the required info. Thanks!

Likely a setting problem. Good idea to provide a picture of the front and back of the tach (or at the very least define what tach you have by brand/model).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    http://www.projectk.co.jp/marine/pdf/faria_tacho.pdf

Here are some settings for you to reference on a tach. Not sure if this will work for your setup, but it should be similar.
    NMEA2000 backbone for Motorguide Xi5 and Lowrance Elite Ti 9" connected to run trolling motor
    Separate Garmin 942xs 9", run off of trolling motor transducer, not NMEA2000 connected yet.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    DO NOT attempt to utilize the above directions, UNLESS you have a Faria Tachometer. Different tachs often require different settings (and Faria is one of the ones that differs from most).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Serial number - 0T760419

Thanks

Tach is a Sierra58255P Tach 7K Amega 3"
    Last edited by bassdogg; 10-04-2018 at 09:50 AM. Reason: add tach model

7. Member

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassdogg View Post
    Serial number - 0T760419

Thanks

Tach is a Sierra58255P Tach 7K Amega 3"
    Any chance you can snap a picture of the back of the tach, so we can see how it's set?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Any chance you can snap a picture of the back of the tach, so we can see how it's set?
    After emailing support - thanks Coxwain - They sent me a picture of how it should be set. I didn't have the arrow pointed to 6P, just the slot in the dial. The arrow is hard to see, but set it correctly and it's working. Thanks guys

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good deal- that's what we were looking for.

11. Member
    Thanks!

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ervin View Post
    I have a 2005 xr6 150 merc what would my setting be? 6P? Like yours. SN 1B029436.
    thanks Dave
    Please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements- and open a separate thread for your engine. This helps to avoid confusion and/or Post-Hi-Jacking. Thanks!