Thread: Propping a 300R

Propping a 300R

Anyone have a 300R with sportsmaster lower unit? What props are you guys running?

2. Member
    My props that I run on my 300xs/1.62 sporty run fine on my 250R/1.75 sporty. Actually better.

3. Banned
    If you’re coming from the 300XS listed in your signature, I would start with the prop that you were happy with on it. It should be a good baseline to start from. We have found they do need some more pitch after break-in on the V8 repowers that we have completed.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    While I would definitely recommend trying a prop you know well from your 300XS setup (as a baseline), results in your final setup will vary depending on a number of factors.

Good idea to use what you have as a starting point ("try" before you buy where possible).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I’m Running Promax propellers, was concerned with the smaller diameter hub.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Likely a valid concern... don't know that I've seen anyone that's tried a Promax on these.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I’ll give it a try and see how it does, worst case I just sell them and buy a large diameter hub propeller

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Likely a valid concern... don't know that I've seen anyone that's tried a Promax on these.
    I have ran hydro, performers, promax etc. I’m running a 30 pitch promax with all holes plugged on my 250R turning 6000-6100 rpm. Love it! Hole shot is good, mid range is great and top end is good. It’s only about 5 mph slower than my 300xs /1.62 on the same boat. Good part is that it would take my 300xs several miles to catch up. This 250R/1.75 will get gone.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody22 View Post
    I have ran hydro, performers, promax etc. I’m running a 30 pitch promax with all holes plugged on my 250R turning 6000-6100 rpm. Love it! Hole shot is good, mid range is great and top end is good. It’s only about 5 mph slower than my 300xs /1.62 on the same boat. Good part is that it would take my 300xs several miles to catch up. This 250R/1.75 will get gone.
    Curious what type of boat your running this promax prop on I'm going to try a 25 promax on my ranger Z520L w/250 merc f/s heard these are the best all around props to run on my set up what is your opinion.....

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickybobby View Post
    Curious what type of boat your running this promax prop on I'm going to try a 25 promax on my ranger Z520L w/250 merc f/s heard these are the best all around props to run on my set up what is your opinion.....
    My boat is a XB21 Allison bassboat. My opinion is the hydromotive has less bow rise on hole shot and probably is best fishing prop if your going to run a 4 blade. I’ve compiled lots of data and the promax is 2 seconds faster than all from 0-85 mph. I always ran pro-series yamaha 3 blades on my Rangers and I ran mercury engines. They were much faster and lifted my Rangers well. Mercury may have a 3 blade that will be competitive now. If you choose a four blade, I would run a bravo 23-25 or maybe a 23-25 hydromotive. If you can get your hands on a 3 blade t1 Yamaha like the sho runs, I would be curious how it performs.

11. Member
    Will do thanks for the info......

12. Member
    Following. Good info.

13. Member
    There is a xrs/300r combo. The gentleman ran a 32 bravo, it was a little too tall for a heavy fishing load, but ran 92+ light. Most will be around 30-31 with the 300/bullet.

I will run a 30 pm, 32pm, 31xs, 30.5txp, all this weekend.