Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for something similar to Promax with less slip at breakover

I'm looking for suggestions on what prop to try to replace the 24 Promax that I broke an ear off of. I really liked the way the prop performed once on plane. Very fast up top. Super responsive in midrange and excellent economy. What I didn't like was how it spun up getting on plane and I had to work the throttle to keep it under control. With my 23 TXP OT4 I can just hammer the throttle and it just goes. But, the speed just isn't there and the economy is significantly worse than the Promax was. I could spin both props up to 61-6200 at the top so both were perfect in not slightly light in pitch.

What should I replace my Promax with that will grip better but keep the economy and top speed?
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

Try a Fury4

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Try a Fury4
    How does the pitch compare with the Promax?

I owned a 27P Fury and a 27 Promax, But I never ran them back to back... I sold them both. I do have a 28 ProMax and it breaks loose on holeshot.

Have you tried a Bravo1 FS?

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    Bravo FS would work fine on my boat. Unfortunately, it would be at the prop guy once a month due to how soft they are. The Promax and OT4 are significantly tougher wheels than the Bravos. With our shallow water around here i need something tough.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    Bravo FS would work fine on my boat. Unfortunately, it would be at the prop guy once a month due to how soft they are. The Promax and OT4 are significantly tougher wheels than the Bravos. With our shallow water around here i need something tough.
    The 24 Promax you ran was close in RPMs to the 25 Fury 4 I had. I ran the Promax and Fury 4 back to back and they were very close in topend speed on my 675. Fury 4 didn’t have the holeshot issue and had good holeshot similar to Bravo. Promax could be run higher and had better midrange.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    The 24 Promax you ran was close in RPMs to the 25 Fury 4 I had. I ran the Promax and Fury 4 back to back and they were very close in topend speed on my 675. Fury 4 didn’t have the holeshot issue and had good holeshot similar to Bravo. Promax could be run higher and had better midrange.
    I was actually going to replace the 24 with a 25 Promax to get the RPMs down a touch. I hit 6200 with another guy in the boat at 73mph with that prop. Same day I broke half an ear off...

I'll look for either a 25 or 26 Fury 4 and buy whatever deal pops up first.

8. Member
    I was actually going to replace the 24 with a 25 Promax to get the RPMs down a touch. I hit 6200 with another guy in the boat at 73mph with that prop. Same day I broke half an ear off...

I'll look for either a 25 or 26 Fury 4 and buy whatever deal pops up first.
    if you find a 25 Rev 4 it might also be worth a try. I ran a 23 Rev back to back with the 25 Fury 4. The 23 Rev was a touch faster but was at the rev limiter. Just had some cup and pitch added and haven’t had a chance to run it yet. The Rev has good holeshot and can be run a bit higher than the Fury 4.

9. Member
    Bravo 1 and add the pvs holes. Not a bravo xs

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroker250xs View Post
    Bravo 1 and add the pvs holes. Not a bravo xs
    I don't need PVS holes with a SHO. Also, I'd be concerned that a stock Bravo1 won't have enough bow lift due to the long barrel with flare. Is that not the case?

11. Member
    I don't need PVS holes with a SHO. Also, I'd be concerned that a stock Bravo1 won't have enough bow lift due to the long barrel with flare. Is that not the case?
    The flare should help. Bravo may not have the lift a promax does but it still lifts real good on my boat. Holeshot is better on a bravo than a promax. I had a 30 p bravo and it was a lot faster out of the hole than my 28p promax

12. Member
    Am I looking for a 27" Bravo to equal a 25" Promax?

As an aside, I hit up SIM Yamaha about an extended warranty on my SHO yesterday. The reply was that my warranty actually expired at the beginning of last month and Yamaha went on a case-by-case basis on granting extended warrantees to expired engines. Since mine has already had a long block replaced under warranty I think that's a big fat no probably. And the quote was over $2k. I think it might be time to flash this thing and see what 350hp will be on a 21'9" stepped hull.

13. Member
    Hole shot wise. Running wise they should run closer to pitch. I haven’t ran the same pitches to compare. Both are great props

14. Banned
    Hydromotive Quad IV-X O/T will perform similar to a promax.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by collins4 View Post
    Hydromotive Quad IV-X O/T will perform similar to a promax.
    I was wondering about those. Are they similar in pitch?

16. Banned
    I was wondering about those. Are they similar in pitch?
    They seem to run 150 rpms more on my setup compared to the same pitch promax.

17. Member
    have 25p powertech tr4 4 blade just put on board. ran on my gambler. like new no scratches. runs like trophy beautiful prop. $275 tyd

18. Member
    [QUOTE=Marshfly;9711059]I was wondering about those. Are they similar in pitch?[/QUOTE
    They both over/thru hub props, but the hydro wont last a month running it anywhere in south Louisiana. I’ve had Q4xob and they are good props but they are thin and are to expensive to run down here.

19. Member
    [QUOTE=Jwebre74;9737655]
    I was wondering about those. Are they similar in pitch?[/QUOTE
    They both over/thru hub props, but the hydro wont last a month running it anywhere in south Louisiana. I’ve had Q4xob and they are good props but they are thin and are to expensive to run down here.
    Thanks for the heads up. Nice to hear from a local boy that knows the issues we have running around down here.

20. Member
    I have a mint 23 rev 4 going up soon. they run stuff. less bow lift than trophy
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast