Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    unless you need the boat right away or do not have the time to do it, it looks like your case is doable, be patient and do not guess...been there myself and wasted a lot of money...I am not even close to be a newbie in mechanics, I just happen to buy a boat with a Johnson that had more problems than a book of physics....decided to give it a shot and started reading..... these guys in here are the real thing when it comes to knowledge and kindness not like other sites....i..and by asking for help here and reading I was able to bring it back to life...although it looks like it still needs some adjusting but it works now....my point is, do not get frustrated, follow every question Fred, Jerry and other ask and try to respond in line, you will see....
    as I said not a mech here but have a lot of electrical/electronics background...your issue looks very similar to what my cousin had with his engine and I was able to help at least finding out that after the engine would cutoff it was not pushing juice through that "module" (powerpack), the engine needed to be at certain temp below that cutoff limit for it to start again...powerpack it was....it was a pain to troubleshoot it on the water but we identified that no pulses of voltage were coming out the module when engine got hot even when the stator was feeding properly.....if the shop do not fix the problem these guys in here will....just be patient .....

by the way I ended melting down the epoxy out of the powerpack just for the fun of it and see what was inside....two rectifier diodes were having leaks which increased with temp and caused shorts....

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluecrab View Post
    unless you need the boat right away or do not have the time to do it, it looks like your case is doable, be patient and do not guess...been there myself and wasted a lot of money...I am not even close to be a newbie in mechanics, I just happen to buy a boat with a Johnson that had more problems than a book of physics....decided to give it a shot and started reading..... these guys in here are the real thing when it comes to knowledge and kindness not like other sites....i..and by asking for help here and reading I was able to bring it back to life...although it looks like it still needs some adjusting but it works now....my point is, do not get frustrated, follow every question Fred, Jerry and other ask and try to respond in line, you will see....
    as I said not a mech here but have a lot of electrical/electronics background...your issue looks very similar to what my cousin had with his engine and I was able to help at least finding out that after the engine would cutoff it was not pushing juice through that "module" (powerpack), the engine needed to be at certain temp below that cutoff limit for it to start again...powerpack it was....it was a pain to troubleshoot it on the water but we identified that no pulses of voltage were coming out the module when engine got hot even when the stator was feeding properly.....if the shop do not fix the problem these guys in here will....just be patient .....

by the way I ended melting down the epoxy out of the powerpack just for the fun of it and see what was inside....two rectifier diodes were having leaks which increased with temp and caused shorts....
    Your right and thanks for reminding me.

I picked the boat up today. The "module" as they called it is the power pack. Look like the weather will be decent this weekend and plan to take it out. I'll report back if the fix is indeed the power pack. Hopefully this will be the end of it because fishing season is about to pick up for me.

3. Member
    Do you remember if your old power pack was Blue color. If it was there is a good possibility you may be fixed up. We all hope so. I fished Choke Canyon a few years ago, I love that kind of lake. Fishing was good, I only stayed 3 days because of the stupid campground reservation thing.

4. Member
    Here is the power pack they pulled out. Its Black. Just looking at it I cannot tell if anything is wrong with it. I did start the engine at the house and run it a bit on muffs. Seems fine.

One thing to mention that I did notice is, in the past my Lowrance would give me a low voltage warning when I would start up (I have the fish finder on my starting batter). It did not do that today.

Choke is not that far from me, but I have not been there in years. Rumor is that it is tough. I primarily fish Bastop lake and Fayette lake. Both are power plant lakes.

Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    That's the OMC power pack. I fish Texas a lot, mostly East Texas, great power plant lakes. In Three Rivers there was a Mexican restaurant that had the best Mexican food I ever ate.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I don't think I've ever seen a power pack cause a low voltage alarm. Voltage Rectifier/Regulator yes. If the pack gets changed then the EET (optical sensor) should be changed as well, best practice.

7. Member
    Took it out on the water today. Idle seemed a bit rough like it was missing every once in a while. Otherwise, it ran fine and never cut out on me. Managed to catch this today while I was out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Here is a video of it idling with muffs on. I don't think it is supposed to surge like that. This is after spending $600 and 2 visits to the shop. Good grief.

Last edited by natchomamma; 11-04-2018 at 06:10 PM.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Nice fish!!

Motor sounds good to me. I know where you can get a deal on an EZtimer if you want one. Somehow, I acquired two along with my Factory analyzer.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Nice fish!!

Motor sounds good to me. I know where you can get a deal on an EZtimer if you want one. Somehow, I acquired two along with my Factory analyzer.
    Ok good. I feel better now. Motor seems to run good on the water.

What can I use an easy timer for? Maybe I need one.

11. Member
    Nice fish! Motors will idle different on the muffs, is it warmed up in the video? It sounds like some do in QuikStart, but the RPM doesn't sound high. Sounds like it's on the verge of running lean, like they might on the muffs. If it does that in the water, maybe the idle timing is off, but more likely the idle orifice's need adjusting. Set them at 5 1/2 turns out and see if that helps. What Idle RPM do you get in the water, in forward gear? You should take ChampioNman up on the Easy Timer, I know where the Turkey got one of 'em. With it you can set the idle and max timing and test the sensor. You can read up on it on E-Bay JohnnyRude Easy Timer. I have one, it's a good tool to have.

12. Member
    Nice fish!!

I was glad that I had one when my OMC analyzer shot craps. I really like mine, brighter lights, bigger alligator clips, no unnecessary switches, simple test of the sensor, and the leads come out on the perfect side of the box. 90 day free replacement warranty, and a great price, I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by 316jughead; 11-05-2018 at 04:40 AM.

13. Member
    Nice fish!!

PM sent

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    Nice fish! Motors will idle different on the muffs, is it warmed up in the video? It sounds like some do in QuikStart, but the RPM doesn't sound high. Sounds like it's on the verge of running lean, like they might on the muffs. If it does that in the water, maybe the idle timing is off, but more likely the idle orifice's need adjusting. Set them at 5 1/2 turns out and see if that helps. What Idle RPM do you get in the water, in forward gear? You should take ChampioNman up on the Easy Timer, I know where the Turkey got one of 'em. With it you can set the idle and max timing and test the sensor. You can read up on it on E-Bay JohnnyRude Easy Timer. I have one, it's a good tool to have.
    On muffs it was idling around 1K RPM in the water 700RPM. The engine was not fully warmed up in this vid. Engine ran fine this weekend put about 3 hours on it.

15. Member
    I'm so glad you got it fixed. What did that fish weigh? In the picture it looked like a perfect day, overcast and a little chop on the water.

16. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    I was glad that I had one when my OMC analyzer shot craps. I really like mine, brighter lights, bigger alligator clips, no unnecessary switches, simple test of the sensor, and the leads come out on the perfect side of the box. 90 day free replacement warranty, and a great price, I couldn't be happier.

Yeah, I don't know who designed that Easy Timer, but it's almost like he knew exactly what an OMC mechanic would want.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

17. Member
    I'm so glad you got it fixed. What did that fish weigh? In the picture it looked like a perfect day, overcast and a little chop on the water.
    Yup it was nice. Could be windy at times. I did not officially weigh, but id conservatively say he was at least 5lbs and more like 6lbs. Picked it up on a 6dx after spotting him on the graph.

18. Member
    Just wanted to circle back to this. I've had the boat out on the water 3 times since the powerpack was replaced and I have not had any issues. Looks like this was the solution. Boat actually goes about 5 MPH faster than it ever has.

19. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by natchomamma View Post
    Just wanted to circle back to this. I've had the boat out on the water 3 times since the powerpack was replaced and I have not had any issues. Looks like this was the solution. Boat actually goes about 5 MPH faster than it ever has.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123