Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying a 2010 Pantera II

Getting ready to make this purchase, coming from a '99 Skeeter with a Yamaha. Not familiar with Bass Cat or Mercury really, so looking for a little input on what to look for on this rig. Boat is in decent shape, but has been fished a lot - hull has some scratches on it from being beached on gravel/rock banks. It's not bad, all cosmetic and doesn't bother me at all. Motor is a 200 Merc Pro XS and has 560 hours, was regularly serviced at a Bass Cat shop most of its life. Boat runs and rides amazing and is very smooth. Interior is okay, mostly just needs to be cleaned up, carpet is good other than one spot and seats are fine. Trailer is in good shape other than some minor damage to one of the fiberglass fenders, tires are good. The top cap is in great shape and it has been covered or garaged it's whole life. Trim switches on the bow are broken, ones on the console and motor work fine. Some of the decals are peeling off, but both consoles are good as are the windshields. Almost everything works as it should - livewells, bilge pump, lights all gauges except speedo, has the Merc Smartcraft gauges. Currently has a 36v Minn Kota Fortex 112.

It will need to be gone through and cleaned up and I'm having the motor checked out by a local shop. Also needs a few updates like new electronics, a hot foot, batteries etc.

So anything in particular I should be looking for on this rig? Any issues with the transom or hull?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Rob

Attached Images Attached Images
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

I had a 2010 PII. I loved the boat but sold it to move up to a Cougar.

A couple of things to note. The 2010 "ProXS" is in name only. The 200 did not get a true upgrade until 2012 IIRC. It will have steel reeds. I replaced them with carbon fiber TDR reeds and would recommend you do this too. If a steel reed breaks/chips, and they commonly do, there is a potential for the chip to get into the combustion chamber and screw things up. With any Optimax/ProXS motor, make sure the motor comes up to 120 degrees before blasting off. In the smartcraft instruments look for "coolant temperature." Let it cool down a little before killing the motor when coming off plane. Use 87 E10 gas then treat it. If you can find 87 or 89 pure gas that is fine too. In both cases use Mercury Quickleen to remove and prevent carbon buildup. I use Mercury or QS DFI oil. Many other use Premium Plus without issue either. The RPM limiter is 5750 +/-.

The boat does not like a lot of trim for best speed. Expect anything from 68-72 for a normal top end with a 25 Fury..maybe a 26. Ronny Gilbert is the Basscat/Fury Prop guru. If you are getting a little water in the rod/storage lockers, seal the hinge and shock attachment points with a dab of silicone. The passenger console is removable BUT is not a quick detach type. It takes about 15 mins to install/remove. The under seat gas tank is 33 gallons and some have a 10 gallon kicker tank in the bilge. I had one but rarely used it. The transom and hull are solid. Although BCBs are not immune from hull blisters, they are rare though. It would be worth a check.

If it has an alarm, call BCB parts with your hull number for its specific instructions. You will not find any information about the alarm online. Do not post it either if you know.

It is fun, stable boat but you will have to drive it a bit at WOT. Enjoy and welcome to the Basscat club!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Wow, that is great info - thanks!

The info about the reeds & temps is exactly what I was looking for! And I did notice a bottle of Quickleen in the back compartment when we test ran the boat. It currently has a 26p Fury on it that was in decent shape, but did have some nicks on the blade edges. I have a 25P Tempest sitting in my garage that i might keep as a back up.

It does have the alarm, and he showed me how it worked. I will be calling BCB to get that info - thanks!!!
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

4. Member
    Damn, that looks like the same color combo as my 2018 PII... I love mine. I also came out of a Skeeter. The BassCat will take a little more driver input, but at the same time it's a lot more fun to drive. Other then that I can't add anything new. The above post covers it well. Good luck. You will love
    Brad Krone

Thanks, I can't wait to get out and run her some...but need to do my homework first and make sure that engine checks out! She's silver with a black bottom and accents, and just a touch of blue throughout...very nice color combo.
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

Those boats are built pretty solid. The top cap is actually glassed to the hull inside each compartment its a cool construction process you can check out some videos on youtube on the bcb builds and theres a bass cat boats by serial number on face book that has some cool build photos. Id give all the rub rails a good look along the rear and make sure none of the packing material between the top and bottom cap is cracked or missing. Double check your bunk board attachments for rust or loose boards. Mostly just typical used boat check over stuff. Register your lifetime hull warranty with bass cat it will also get you into the quest program if you fish any larger tournaments, you can get some good incentive money! Best of luck on it! Looks like a sharp boat
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

Very cool, thanks! I will have to check out the videos on YouTube for sure.
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

8. Member
    Or check the Bass Cat site under owners board. Once you watch the videos you will not want to buy another brand of bass boat
    Brad Krone

9. Member
    I recently bought a 2011 p2. I had never ridden in one before but based off everything I had read knew it would be great. I was right in thinking that and actually bought it sight unseen. I love the boat. Fits in my garage, as fast as I need, and it cruises while sipping gas. It's my first bass boat so I'm still learning about it as well.

Thanks FlipIt - for a first boat, that is an awesome ride!

I did watch the videos last night and that is pretty impressive for sure! Love how in depth Rick goes in talking about the process they use when building the boats.

I'm basically waiting on the shop to check the motor out and give it a blessing and the deal will be done. Absolutely cannot wait to get in this thing snd go fish!
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

Another question, on the pic of the interior above, you can almost see there is a round hole right under the cooler/step that leads up to the deck. Is this designed storage for a net? Like you slide the net handle in the hole? Reason I ask is beacuse whatever cover was there is gone now and it's just bare fiberglass, so I'll need to figure out what to do with that...
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

12. Member
    Yes that is correct and you can get the rubber gromment from parts that fits that hole. I would recommend adding a dab of glue to keep it in place. I had a 2010 PII for 7 years and loved it! Only sold the boat to get a bigger Basscat.

Awesome, thanks!
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

14. Member
    A few things about the PII I like, is how well it responds to TM inputs. Its up there with the Eyra in that category.
    Also, 0-60 mph is the ruled by the PII. Set up properly its a rocket out the hole and acceleration to 60 is very quick.
    Keep it at 50 mph and it sips gas.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Sweet, thanks! With that 26p Fury, it sure jumped up on plane and took very little throttle to get moving pretty fast! I'm really looking forward to this boat...
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

Motor checked out great, I'm going to pick her up today!
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

17. Member
    Congrats ...
    Brad Krone

18. Member
    I've got an 07 which is the same hull. I found that the 26 Fury that came with my boat was a little too much, try a 25 Fury or the 25 Tempest you have, I'd bet you'll like either better. The holeshot only gets better.

19. Member
    I'm running a 25p Fury on my 2018 PII with 200 ProXS. No vent plugs at all.. amazing holeshot.
    Brad Krone

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try the Tempest for sure. I have a great prop guy here locally that I'll take the Fury to and have him clean it up and I'll mention what you said about the 25p.

Got her home safe and sound, so ready to get started on getting her cleaned up and ready to fish!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast