build or buy shallow water boat

Just read skunked again's thread to "Talk me out of it - or into it". He really inspired me to get my second dream boat. I currently have a 178c with a 75 merc and 80# Fortrex which is my dream boat, but I have always wanted to build the perfect shallow water boat for river fishing and crappie spawn. So does anyone have or have built this type of boat. Not sure whether to buy aluminum flat bottom Jon and add lightweight options or build something like the bottom half of a bay boat and build it out with plastic and structural foam. I once put together a 1648 with 25 hp and it was pretty sweet would go in about 8 inches of water and 24 mph, can I improve that?

2. Member
    Tunnel hull ..most manufacturers make them. Add a jack plate.

Or, check out a Texas Scooter. Almost none of the prop is below the hull. They can run in spit.

3. Member

I built out my 1648 mv Polarkraft a few years back. I probably fish out of it more than my glass boat these days.

Attached Images Attached Images

By "build", you mean starting with an aluminum hull, and finishing the inside? If so, check out TBNation on the web and YouTube for ideas, using aluminum angle and sq. tubing to create light, strong decking, and storage lockers from plastic totes.

If you mean build from scratch and you love a DIY project, check out Boat Builder Central. These are "composite" constructions from scratch (plywood sheet coated in epoxy resin/fiberglass cloth) to make them lightweight but incredibly stiff and strong.
    In particular, check out the PH16 or PH18 flats-style boats.

https://boatbuildercentral.com/
    https://forums.bateau2.com/app.php/page/build-threads (click on 17-18, then PH18 builds. Scroll to last pages of each post to see finished pics).

This guy built a PH18 into a tunnel with a jet drive - he runs in 2-3" of water.

Others have configured the PH16 and PH18 into a bass-boat style cockpit/deck configuration vs. center console.
    Last edited by CastingCall; 10-16-2018 at 01:02 PM.

6. Member
    Thanks everyone, great replies, just what I was looking for, will take a while to digest, but that's all fun.

7. Member
    I would imagine not exactly what you want as it is built for a completely different part of the country, but I have to throw this out there:

Been looking at the G3 16 CCJ. Looks like a fun little boat.

9. Member
    I have a G3 ( and a Lowe). Love the G3. It is only a 1652, but it gets me where I want to go.
    I may add a jack plate and Smart Tabs soon, just to get even shallower. I fish salt flats. One foot is deep water.

10. Member
    Have a g3 1860 w a 115 jet an k5 bottom coating. It’s pretty fun runnin the river in inches and touching bottom an sliding over stuff. A lot of the production boats like that are pretty thin aluminum tho. Lowe has an option for a .125 Hull . Or custom like rockproofs an river pro are much thicker , there prices are a lot higher too. ...been playing with the idea of selling mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Member
    I'm glad I could inspire!
    What about a jet engine on a pontoon? Take the sheet metal off the sides, too cut down on wind, leaving the tube up. Would draft shallow, lots of room, endless possibilities.

12. Member
    So good to see there are others who love shallow water, some great ideas, I have dreamed a long time about building a foam and fiberglass hull out of roofing materials. There are some amazingly lightweight strong materials on the market similar to what castingcall showed. My first step will be to build and test some panels for strength, actually first step is finding a place to build it.

13. Member

Found this, nothing for a description, and no sound. It does look like a project though!

14. Member
    That looks like a nice little rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatcher89 View Post
    Been looking at the G3 16 CCJ. Looks like a fun little boat.

15. Member
    i built mine from the bare hull, but its definitely a bit larger than the average jon boat. That said, if its wet, i can generally get through it. at WOT i run about 34 mph with 3 people, 4 batteries, 25 gallons of gas, and a 2200 lb rig.

Last edited by JoshKeller; 10-30-2018 at 07:20 PM.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

16. Member
    Tell me more joshkeller. How is the inside bottom of your boat built? Where is your gas tank? Did you make your seat pedestals and how are they mounted? How did you obtain a bare hull?

17. Member
    i had xpress build me a 1760HD hull with .190 bottom and .125 sides. I bought the hull with NOTHING inside and an aluminum trailer for about $7,000. i welded/built the rear deck myself, along with the rear livewell, and front boxes. 3 batteries under the stick steer/front box, one battery and 20 gallon gas tank under the rear deck - i carry a 9 gallon portable tank in the boat for long runs and camping trips to supplement the 20 gallong tank. 36 volt, 105 lb motorguide trolling motor.

the floor is welded in, and a layer of foam between the floor and bottom. and entire interior of the boat is factory rhino lined. Its a large boat, the beam is 88 inches i believe. next project will have the bottom and sides coated in K5 coating.

The motor started out as a 90/65 crossflow, and the powerhead was swapped out with a 140 crossflow with high compression heads. it gained about 700 rpm.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

18. Member
    Sounds neat, Josh. That way, you got what YOU wanted.