179 TRX prop/on plane

I have a 2018 179 TRX. I have a factory/dealer installed Tempest 24 prop on a Mercury 115 hp 4 stroke. Im having a hard time getting on plane with full live well and or 2 adults in boat. I added a 6” jack plate and still doesn’t help. Any suggestions on prop size to eliminate this issue if it’s possible. Otherwise a great boat.

2. Member
    That 24 Tempest may be too much prop. I put 900 hours on a 2007 version with a 115 Optimax. Two stroke versus four stroke so your results may vary. I had two props 19P and 21P both Laser II. With just me, the 19 leaped out of the hole and ran about 45 with no overrev condition as measured by an old sc1000 system monitor. It was said then that the 20P was the best compromise. I ran the 19 most of the time. Because of the holeshot and rough water control.

3. Member
    2017 179 TRX with 2017 115 ProXs 2 stroke. Mine came with a laser ii 20 but I was in the limiter so I sent it to Mark Croxton and had it worked to a 21. I know you have a 4 stroke and can turn a few more RPM. Red line for me is 5850 and with the 21 I am right there at it with a light load, empty wells and half tank of fuel and 51 mph gps.

How many RPM are you showing at wide open?

4. Member
    Halfmoon22 - probably same boat, motor with CT gearcase and same prop. I have same issue with that exact prop and your conditions - I'm debating a 23, I'll lose some but it would make the rough water and hole shot better. I don't have a jack plate on mine and I haven't seen too many that do on here. Interested in your experience..
    2017 Triton TRX 179
    Mercury 115 Pro XS CT (Hyrdraulic Steering/Hot Foot and Trim on Steer)
    Minn-Kota Ultrex 80 w/I-Pilot Link
    Lowrance HDS9 Carbon Bow/Console with Structure Scan 3D (Thru Hull, Structure Scan xdcr, HDI on TM) and Point-1,
    Blue Water LED boat lighting

5. Member
    Like I said before I have 6” plate and power poles. Top end is 47 mph gps at 5600 rpm. Takes forever to get there. I’m looking st a tempest 21 to see if I can improve the hold shot. It literally plows with a full load. I’ll post pics later

6. Member
    Didn't realize power poles too - you have a lot of weight aft. What gear case do you have on your engine?
    2017 Triton TRX 179
    Lowrance HDS9 Carbon Bow/Console with Structure Scan 3D (Thru Hull, Structure Scan xdcr, HDI on TM) and Point-1,

7. Member
    that I do not know

8. Member
    You might try a 21 Spitfire X7 if it works with your gear case. You are way under on RPM. Think you should be up around 6000

9. Member
    Have you tried the Mercury Prop Selection Tool and what did it come up with when you entered your pitch, speed and RPM? Mine says a 23 and I'd hit over rev quick on anything much smaller.
    2017 Triton TRX 179

10. Member
    2017 Triton TRX 179

11. Member
    Since you have power poles you will need to drop to a lower pitch prop, probably a couple pitches.

12. Member
    Thanks guys I’m taking tomdealer in a week to let them do a prop swap and tune it in. They are thinking 21

13. You tube@ Rix Fishing Fix
    I just got a 2018 179 with the 115 Pro xs command thrust just started the break in last week and didn't seem to have this issue with 3/4 tank of gas and live wells full but I was alone.... like I said breaking in motor so I couldn't really run it WOT long. I found that just trimming motor down and slowly trimming up as I go seemed to get me on plane ok. Like I said I have the Command Thrust on mine.
    TYG-(Trust Your Gut!!)