What's wrong with my 2004 VMAX 150?

Hello! I had this boat in the shop back in July for this same issue. They said the motor worked fine and here I am - still won't start. This motor has left me stranded a couple of times, and is getting quite frustrating to have to troll from quite a ways away.

The motor when cold, will start by normally choking. Pushing the key and turn. Unfortunately, it will almost always die. You have to continuously push on the key to keep choking it. Once you get underway, the motor will run what I believe is normally. Anytime you slow to down to come to a stop, the motor always dies. It will not restart without a choke, even after 20 minutes. When it does restart, it will often die again, and have to be started however many more times, before the engine will get underway again.

Several times now, the motor after being on the water for an hour, will refuse to start at all. It will turn over, but wont' catch - or even more fun, is when it will turn on, but you have to keep pressure on the hotfoot to keep it running, and then as soon as you put it in gear, it will immediately die and it will do this over and over.

Here are 3 videos of what it's doing, if you know anything about this engine, please try and help me! I know very little!

2005 Ranger 185DVS

Hi there...I have the same exact motor...very similar issues......ended up being fuel pumps......I put up with the problems for maybe 2 years before taking it to get repaired.

Since then its run perfectly.
    Allen
    911 Bass Anglers
    Bucks County PA

im thinking fuel pumps also. super easy to replace. takes about 20 minutes and pretty cheap

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

4. Member
    Change plugs after you install new fuel pumps.

5. Member
    Pilots plugged. Most common issue with this engine. If the fuel pumps have not been serviced that could very well be adding to your problems. Both carbed 150's we have had would always needed the pilots cleaned at least every few years. I got to the point where I could do them in less than a hour. When I purchased my Xpress it had a 150 on it. The owner had a marina clean the carbs and they did the top 2. the bottom had never been touched! Needless to say it didn't run very well. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Thanks for all the information! It's heading to the dealer tomorrow or Wednesday, i'll report back of what the diagnosis is!
    2005 Ranger 185DVS

7. Member
    It's definitely a fuel delivery issue. I would have to agree with CJ1.

To update everyone here, the shop went through it and said they found some "debris" in the carbs. They cleaned them out real good and said it started running perfectly. I have had it out on the water twice since then, and it is in fact, running very well.
    2005 Ranger 185DVS

9. Member
    I had the same motor. Fuel diaphragms no big deal. Like above said change out the plugs. Good luck.