08 250 hpdi questions

Hey guys I have an 08 ranger with a 250 hpdi series 2. I have changed the vst filter and now I am going to change the fuel/water strainer filter. I have seen that some people switch to a racor filter, and I am wondering if that would be the way to go, or if I should just get one from Yamaha. If racor is the route to go, what number filter should I run? Also I was out Sunday and the oil alarm goes off, I pull the cowl and the tank is empty. I try the emergency switch and it doesn't fill it up. Luckily I had some spare oil. I have tried the emergency switch and I can't hear the pump kick on and it doesn't fill. Is there a filter in the oil tank that could be stopped up? Is there any way of checking the pump? All help is appreciated!

2. Member
    You can and should run a fuel filter in between the tank and the motor. Those little filter/separators on the side of the motor don't do much
    Yamaha or Racor, doesn't matter, but Racor is much less expensive for the same filter.
    I run a Racor 120R-RAC-01 Fuel Spin-On Filter.

As for the oil problem, if the motor tank is low, you should be able to hear the remote oil pump running with the key in the on position. If not, there is a problem with the remote tank pump or pump motor.
    The magnets in my remote pump motor came loose two years ago. Took apart, glued back in place with Gorilla glue, still going strong.
    There is a filter in the remote tank, but unless you got some trash in the tank, it should be good. I would give it a good cleaning while or if you have to pull it to repair the pump.

3. Member
    Get the onboard yamaha fuel/water separating filter and a yamaha 10 micron filter. Change once a year minimum.