Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Family Vacation w/ some fishing

We need some help in choosing a lake for vacation next year. We usually go too Hilton Head in september but she dont want to pull the kids out of school anymore. She saw pics of torch lake and wants to go there. She also said I am "allowed" too bring the bass boat. lol. like it wouldnt be coming.

my question is torch lake a good lake for vaca for kids that will be 11 and 9? from what i read seems like a party lake. how is the fishing? I was thinking end of June but i havent looked up avg temps yet.

I was on google earth looking at other lakes in the area Walloon, Charlevoix, clam, elk, skegmog? would any of those be better for vaca and fishing? I told her she may have to suck it up and forget the Caribbean water and sand of Torch. Told her the other lakes are clear too as far as i know.

Any recommendations on lake and time of year would be big help.

I will be looking for older threads on this page to try and find some help too.

Thanks for any help
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

Torch is connected to Bellaire that I just did a video on. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those lakes. Your going to find people partying on all of them at some point. Do you want something on the water, or walking distance to the lake? Those lakes are all really clear and good for swimming and family fun. Nice towns by each of them. My suggestion would be go with the best deal you can get and the boat can be dipped in on any of the lakes since they are close together. Torch lake and Skegemog are closer to Traverse City. There is a nice park with rides and other things right on the main drag in Traverse City. Charlevoix has a nice pier and beach to walk on Lake Michigan. Guess I don't have too many suggestions other than you can't go wrong up there. Plenty to do.

3. Member
    Can't go wrong with that area of the state for a great family vacation/fishing trip. Best advice I have to offer is book a home asap especially if you are wanting to rent one on a lake. A lot of the lakefront rentals are reserved a year out in the more popular destinations.

4. Member
    Torch lake is a great vacation lake. Plenty of stuff to do around that area.
    Pete | 2011 Ranger Z118 | Yamaha HPDI 150

5. Member
    Torch and Elk both are good small mouth fisheries. Both are deep, clear lakes that given the depths, tend to warm up a little slower than others. Clam and Skeg are shallower lakes with more stained water. Given the size of Elk, Torch,and Charlevoix as far as fishing goes you may want to look to the smaller lakes. The big ones can be tough to figure out with limited time, especially if you hit post spawn fishing. Torch and Elk are excellent vacation lakes. The lakes are so large that you can easily avoid the party areas with the family.

6. Member
    Time of year would you guys suggest? I was thinking end of June but i work with a guy who used to live in the area and he said the water would still be cold for swimming (he doesn't fish so knows nothing bout fishing).
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

7. Member
    Bump.

What time of year would be good. Will be in summer. I worked with a guy from area who doesn’t fish. He said wait till July. Takes water longer too warm up

Still haven’t decided what lake. Might choose smaller lake try figure it out quicker since family will be there and don’t have as much time.

June and July will be the spawn on the bigger bodies of water including the Bays in Traverse. It's hard to say go this week or that week because no ones when the ice will actually come off, when the weather will break and warm things up. If your there in June or July, it will be good somewhere. Just idle around until you find beds to see if fish are on them. If your on a medium size lake and the spawn is done then head to bigger deeper lakes where they spawn a little later.

9. Member
    I would stay away from that area during the week of 4th of July unless you like lots of traffic - both on the road and on the water. The end of June can be good. It all depends on our spring. Warm spring =warm water, cold spring =frigid water.

As others have said, book now. I wouldn't wait until 2019 to book.
    08 Triton 17 Explorer/08 90 Merc

10. Member
    We are bidding vacations now for following year. This what sucks when bidding weeks for fishing. Never know bout weather. The boss said week of July 15th. Or do you think week before the 4th/end of June?

Thanks for all the help. Still have too narrow a lake down too at least stay on.

11. Member
    +1 on June over July

12. Member
    Before the 4th

13. Member
    there are too many lakes too choose from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

14. Member
    Man you guys weren’t kidding. Having trouble finding a place on any of the torch area lakes. Might have too look at Alpena area

15. Member
    Try Ludington area. Great lakes salmon fishing, Hamilin Lake for bass, panfish and an occasional walleye. Pere Marquette River, Manistee Rivers etc all close by. Several fishing guides for the big lake.

I replied to your PM. Hope you got it.

Tight lines

17. Member
    Indian River area also offers many options for fishing and vacationing.

18. Member
    thanks bigbass. yea im looking there and alpena. i just cant find anything in the torch area. i would go beginning of june if just for fishing. but need water warmer for kids too swim.
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

19. Member
    The bigger lakes are swimming temperature about August lol! But kids seem immune to colder water. ��

20. Member
    Alpena area wont be as busy as the west side and there is some Great smallie lakes all within an hour or so of each other...
    Grand, Long, Hubbard and Black lake for smallies and if you get the itch to chase Largemouth Fletchers floodwaters is fun...Just be careful..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast