Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Caution is also needed on Long Lake to avoid some of the rock piles.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_ProStar21XL View Post
    Caution is also needed on Long Lake to avoid some of the rock piles.
    do they have them marked at all? i have heard fletchers is filled with stumps. i watched MLF when they were Aplena. looks like real nice area.
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher42 View Post
    do they have them marked at all? i have heard fletchers is filled with stumps. i watched MLF when they were Aplena. looks like real nice area.
    They are not marked...Most of the rock piles and finger reefs are on the far North of the lake....You can run pretty hard in the main lake but once you turn off to fish the shallows or are on the far north side of the lake you need to slow down until you learn the layout...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

thanks bigbass. yea im looking there and alpena. i just cant find anything in the torch area. i would go beginning of june if just for fishing. but need water warmer for kids too swim.
    Yep, you definitely want the family to have fun too!

5. Member
    I was very nervous the first time I fished Long Lake. After the first half of a day, it’s really no different than many other lakes except its rocky and gets very shallow close to shore. I took the approach of, run in the middle of the lake, idle when you get less than 8ft. If you have a good map chip, that will definitely help as well.

That said, the northern sections of the lake, especially the east cut and far west end can have shallow outcroppings or are very shallow themselves. Just proceed with caution and you’ll be fine. It’s a very fun lake to fish! Not many over 3-3.5lbs, a 4lber is scarce, but I could argue there is not another lake in the state with more 1.5-3lb smallies.

6. Member
    If you had too choose out of long lake and grand too stay on which one would you choose. i found more places on grand. i know i can fish both they are close but with kids there prob fish the lake house is on most. they fish about the same? all catch and release!
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

if you want waterfront and your kids to go swim off the dock - charlevoix, elk, torch - are basically swimming pools. Go later and get into the warmer water. Fishing is still good july into august and the fam can enjoy the water too. I think the bite is tough right post spawn anyway (mid-june).

Lots of other lakes you can trailer too also.

Torch is kind of a party lake, but just in one spot. you can easily avoid it and have a nice quiet trip.

8. Member
    Torch is a tough lake for bass no structure. Clam lake which is navigable from torch is good fishing but it will be summer and the amount of boats coming and going through clam lake will push you to the banks. If its torch you want look to find a place on the north end....quiet and not much traffic boat wise. South end is the party end you will be surprised at how big of a party it really is. If it were me I would go north of me towards Lake charlevoix, indian river, cheboygen. Less people and less boat traffic and big smallmouth. Typically end of may beginning of June is when the big water spawn is on for my area....so +/- a week in those areas should be spot on as long as we do not have a winter/summer like 2018 where we did not have a spring season.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

9. Member
    If you had too choose out of long lake and grand too stay on which one would you choose.
    No question; Long! Grand has not been fishing well the last few years. Lower numbers and size. Some say there was a fish kill a few years back. Not sure exactly but Long definitely has better fishing. That said, both are beautiful and close to trailer if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikeMN View Post
    No question; Long! Grand has not been fishing well the last few years. Lower numbers and size. Some say there was a fish kill a few years back. Not sure exactly but Long definitely has better fishing. That said, both are beautiful and close to trailer if needed.

I agree.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

11. Member
    Thanks for all the help!!!

Go Buckeyes!!!!

Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

12. Member
    Did you end up picking a place? Drummond Island has great smallmouth fishing all summer long, and it’s much easier to figure out as a first timer than the deep, clear lakes in the northern lower peninsula. There’s restaurants on the island, off road trails, and a golf course, but you are a long way from a city if you need that to make the wife happy.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by piketroller View Post
    Did you end up picking a place? Drummond Island has great smallmouth fishing all summer long, and it’s much easier to figure out as a first timer than the deep, clear lakes in the northern lower peninsula. There’s restaurants on the island, off road trails, and a golf course, but you are a long way from a city if you need that to make the wife happy.
    no we havent. ill look into that. have put off booking anything right now cause not sure on wife leave situation. she started new job year ago.
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

14. Member
    When you come up here, just make sure you leave allllllll that buckeye s*** back where it came from.

It's bad enough having to watch it year after year......

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by School Master View Post
    When you come up here, just make sure you leave allllllll that buckeye s*** back where it came from.

It's bad enough having to watch it year after year......
    lol. I’ll just wear my browns stuff!!!
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

16. Member
    We took the family and stayed on grand for a wk last august.The lake was warm enough to swim but the fishing was terrible!
    It was an great family resort. My kids are 6 and 9 tho. They stayed off their ipads all wk!
    I spent the wk exploring the long and lake Huron. Long lake was fun!

17. Member
    Long or Hubbard. found place on each. what you guys think. i know i can hit both but will prob fish one staying on more
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

18. Member
    I'd say Long. But then again I haven't fished Hubbard....

19. Member
    If you like fishing fast baitfish style presentations I'd go to Long, if you like fishing slow crawdad style lures I'd say Hubbard. I think long is better for numbers, but Hubbard for size. Just my experience and opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12