1989 Hydra DV200 Questions/Build

Just picked this boat up for a steal! First true bass boat but I have owned various boat over the years. I have a few quirks im trying to figure out and figured id better start a thread. Ive put a few hours on this thing now and love it. Rides great, set up nicely. Wish I has the factory windshield though. Im slowly cleaning it up and redoing electrical.

First off lets talk prop setup. Its currently running a E200 with a Lexor Solas 15 1/4 x24 prop. Mounted on a Hi-Jacker it sites 6 inches from prop center line to pad(Seems low!). It will only rev to 4500 at about 45 mph loaded(not GPS verified). It feels very strong but sluggish out of hole, slight cavitation if to much throttle. Maybe 3 second to get bow on top. What say ye? Move prop up an inch and try again?

Second, which is probably related to above, the steering is very tight at full speed. Slightly easier turning right(prop direction help). Trimming makes little difference. Turning at slow speeds is easy, engine disconnected turns like butter, steering wheel and cables as well. Any ideas?

Ive got a few engine squacks im sorting out, will start an engine thread later, and all seem fuel related. All fuel lines to carb are new. With the low fuel tanks in this is anyone running a electric fuel pump to help get fuel to primer and engine fuel pump? Its always starting issues/first few seconds after in gear stalling, chugging, etc. Owners manual is on the way and will do the basics once I have correct reference material.

2. Member
    No electric fuel pump. Never run a electric. Old johnson evinrude are hard to start. There is a process to it. Primer bulb has a check valve in it. I just point mine up and it pumps up quicker and holds pressure there is a thread on starting the engine
    QUIT WISHING AND GO FISHING🐟
    08 skeeter I class 08 yahama 250 98 HYDRASPORT 205 98 EVINRUDE 200 to many other boats to list

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kc152977 View Post
    No electric fuel pump. Never run a electric. Old johnson evinrude are hard to start. There is a process to it. Primer bulb has a check valve in it. I just point mine up and it pumps up quicker and holds pressure there is a thread on starting the engine

thanks. Ive been thinking its operator error. I can get her running nice with some throttle/electric prime but seems to quit when I back down or change to gear. Have you rigged the primer bulb to rest in the vertical position? or just while initial prime?

4. Member
    thought I would update since ive done some tweaking....

I raised the motor up a solid inch, or tad above. Generally, it felt better across the board. Turned a little easier, planed easier, also gain 3 mph and about 200 rpm. I will lift another inch and try again.

2 questions though- First, it did seem to cavitate easier if not trimmed correctly, but was easy to tell when I was right on. Ill see if it gets worse after I go up another inch. Is this telling me anything?

Second, (still learning outboards) its almost impossible to start(or keep running) with motor trimmed down on initial starts, once I trim up to ways it seemed to fire and run normally as I bring revs up and trim back down to accelerate away. Is this normal? Should I start this way everytime?

Sounds like the carbs need rebuilt in the engine that's the reason your having the starting issues, other than that I had a 89 Evinrude 150 XP and it was always a beast to start first thing in the morning. It really seemed to be sensitive to how much you primed it. I can't tell you how many times I flooded it and had to wait to start it. It did get a lot better after I did a decarb on the motor so maybe another easy fix. As far as the engine normally it should be around 3 1/2" ptp on your setup and with Evinrude one of the best props was a Raker 24P if you can find one. Love the colors had the same on mine and enjoy the boat it's one of the best riding they made during those times.

6. Member
    these motors always idle better when not trimmed all the way down,It's just their nature.

7. Member
    Check this site for a windshield: https://www.updplastics.com/hydraspo...-2000s-models/

8. Member
    thought i would update. After leaving her alone all winter i finally did some more troubleshooting on my engine problems. I had a intermittent spark on multiple cylinders, sometimes strong, weak, or nothing at all. Wouldnt start. Power pack tested bad. New power pack and six carb kits on my toolbox now. Hoping to have in the water soon to fine tune the jackplate.

I do feel like i need a less aggressive prop for ease of slow trolling and maneuvering, any other suggestions? Speed is least of my worries?

9. Member
    For the original factory windshields for these boats you can check out Custom Mold & Tint Inc. out of Monticello AR. They got me some for my 89 DV200FF and I love them! Fairly quick turn around too. You'll have to make a template of the console lip where they sit but they send you detailed instructions on how to do it and it's nothing you can't do in a half hour or so and a couple of beers. Love the boat! i'll try and post some pics of mine when I get a chance. I've been doing a floor replacement on mine and a deck extension...redoing the layout to make her more fun to fish and more practical. Here's the link to their page..check 'em out!-------> http://getaboatwindshield.com/

10. Member
    what CrappieKiller says,,,Custom Mold and Tint,,,Have used them SEVERAL times

11. Member
    Installed new power pack, cleaned and rebuilt all carbs, cleaned gapped and installed plugs, performed dirty link n sync. Fired up like a raped ape! Quick start even worked.

It did idle around 1700 until warm then 1200. Will check in water and see if that fixes it. hopefully in water this weekend for some test runs.

12. Member
    Well i ran a few tanks of fuel through her and she did as well as i could have hoped. Hard to start cold but fires every time thereafter. Trolling motor is great too.

I tried a few different motor heights, not a whole lot of difference in performance though. Will keep trying until i find a happy spot.

Next issue is the steering stem has alot of play. The nut keeps backing off. Im sure the splines are worn but i refuse to shell out 1500 bucks to fix it. Maybe will be the final straw for this engine. Any ideas on fixing without replacement? Weld er up???

13. Member