Thread: Brake fluid ?

Brake fluid ?

On a system with dot4 fluid in can you top off with dot3? THANKS Guys

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    What does it say on the tongue? They can mix, but DOT4 handles higher temperatures than DOT3
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I used to work on foreign cars. If it said DOT4 then DOT3 would ruin the seals.

I understand that DOT 3 systems can use DOT 4 fluid, but not the other way around. I believe they can be mixed, but the DOT4 has a higher boiling point than the DOT3, so by adding DOT 3 to a DOT 4 system, you will be lowering the boiling point of the fluid. Also, I understand you should not mix DOT 5 with either of the other 2.

It all started with Dot 1. Each number dictates that the fluid has improved. So you can always go up a number but might not be wise to go down a number as the newer seals and rubber compounds are designed for the newer fluid.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    It all started with Dot 1. Each number dictates that the fluid has improved. So you can always go up a number but might not be wise to go down a number as the newer seals and rubber compounds are designed for the newer fluid.
    The basic chemistry of DOT3 and DOT4 is the same, so seals aren't an issue. As Texas Larry said, DOT4 is rated for higher temps. They can be mixed, but the temp performance will be lower than DOT4.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​