Couple 1197 questions

I'm new to Humminbird. I've had the boat out once and turned on the 1197c si. It is set up like the previous owner had it (I have no idea what his settings are). SI seemed to work, color sonar showed in color but with no reading. Also the digital depth reading was a constant 5.5 feet in all screens. Any ideas?

I'm thinking of restoring it back to the factory default settings. Any worries with reset to defaults?

Thanks.

2. Member
    Update. I reset it to factory default settings and still get a wrong depth reading. Reads around 5 feet no matter what. Any ideas? Thanks.

Where is the transducer that provides 2D/Depth?

That value may indicate a loose shoot-thru 2D transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    I can't even try to explain the reason for time between posts. Same problems with the 1197. GPS is fine. 2d shows blurry color but not any type of true image. Side image view is fine. No matter what the real depth, read out is always 5.5 feet. Temp read out is fine. I have an XHS 9 HDSI 180 T transducer for the 1197.

Can the 2d part of the transducer go bad but SI be okay? I have an 1158 with 2d color and DI, no si on the bow. Looks like it has an XNT 9 DI T transducer. Can I swap the two units without problem? Basically I'm thinking if the 1197 2d works when at the bow with the 1158 transducer, and the 1158 has the same issues in 2d at the console, then the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T transducer is bad?

Is there a possible 2d shoot through transducer, in addition to the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T transducer, that might have gone bad?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADVAN View Post
    I can't even try to explain the reason for time between posts. Same problems with the 1197. GPS is fine. 2d shows blurry color but not any type of true image. Side image view is fine. No matter what the real depth, read out is always 5.5 feet. Temp read out is fine. I have an XHS 9 HDSI 180 T transducer for the 1197.

Can the 2d part of the transducer go bad but SI be okay? I have an 1158 with 2d color and DI, no si on the bow. Looks like it has an XNT 9 DI T transducer. Can I swap the two units without problem? Basically I'm thinking if the 1197 2d works when at the bow with the 1158 transducer, and the 1158 has the same issues in 2d at the console, then the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T transducer is bad?

Is there a possible 2d shoot through transducer, in addition to the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T transducer, that might have gone bad?

Thanks in advance.
    A XHS 9 HDSI 180 T has three sonar piezos in it:
    1. Left Side SI
    2. Right Side SI
    3. 2D
    Any of those can fail individually.

If you have that transducer on the transom and a shoot-thru in the bilge connected to the 1197, you can only get 2D from the shoot-thru and that is done via Y cable. The 2D piezo in the SI transducer is not connected (no electrical circuit).

A shoot-thru can fail 4 ways:
    1. Not work at all
    2. Get weak from use--it's a moving part since it vibrates to broadcast sound and vibrates when detecting return echoes.
    3. Come loose or partially loose from the hull
    4. The connection to the Y or the Y cable itself is faulty

Disconnect both transducers from the Y cable, disconnect the Y cable from the 1197.
    Connect the SI transducer directly to the display and test on the water.
    Connect the shoot-thru directly to the display and test on the water.

That should show you if the shoot-thru is bad or the Y cable is bad or the unit itself is failing.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Thank you.

Unless you are networking the 1197 with another unit that has a higher software release ...... I would stick with version 6.310 for the 1197. Imaging was not as good with any release above that.
    Do you know what version you have?
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

8. Member
    Fair warning! If you use this advice you could ruin the transducer!

I use to have issues with my 997s. if after following Wayne’s advice. You still have same problem.....I ilysed to ever so slightly, just barely, almost non existing my, bend the suspect pin on the cable. And I’d get good connection again and all would work again. But if you break off the pin, you are screwed.